Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

08 Sept 2014


See also: IRC log

Phil Madans (philm), Ivan Herman (Ivan), Deborah Kaplan (dkaplan3), Brady Duga (duga), Markus Gylling (mgylling), Tzviya Siegman (tzviya), Liza Daly (liza),  Luc Audrain (Luc), Charles LaPierre (clapierre), Bill Kasdorf (Bill_Kasdorf), Shinyu Murakami (murakami), Julie Morris (Julie) , Madi Solomon (madi), Liam Quin (Liam), David Stroup (david_stroup), Tom De Nies (TomDN), Paul Belfanti (pBelfanti), Vladimir Levantovsky (Vlad), Akshat Joshi (AkshatJoshi), Thierry Michel (tmichel), Ben Ko (benjaminsko), Robert Sanderson (azaroth), Patrick Pagano (Patrick_Pagano),  Laura Dawson (dawson), Luc Audrain (Luc),  +1.917.447.aaaa,+
Dave Cramer (dauwhe), Alan Stearns (Stearns), Peter Krautzberger (pkra), Karen Myers (Karen_Myers),Michael Miller (Mike), Frederick Hirsch (fjh)
Markus Gylling (mgylling)
Julie Morris (Julie)


<trackbot> Date: 08 September 2014

<ivan> scribenick: julie

<liza> I volunteer for next time I'm on the call since I'm no longer chairing (but I'll be out next week)

Markus: any objections to previous week's minutes- none, approved

MGilling: Bill K. will review first draft of metadata TF

PF meeting last week

two topics: 1) role attributes

<AkshatJ> sorry.. but aaad is Akshat Joshi from India

Tzviya: had a call to determine next steps with protocols and formats

<AkshatJ> thank ivan :)

some of documentation more formal than what group's documentation has been in the past

Tzviya is working on formalizing ideas on why it's necessary to include several shared terms within the vocab for DPIG and PF

she will have the document to share with all next week

MGylling: what do you see as the end result for this work?

Tzviya: goal is to figure out a way to refine HTML terms to give them a bit more digital publishing-specific meaning

meaningful for educational content

read-aloud functionality, defining behaviors for a sighted or non-sighted reader

<mgylling> btw, recap: https://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/wiki/StructuralSemantics#Approaches:Solution_Criteria_and_Options

MGylling: either HTML5 needs to change, or EPUB spec will override the HTML5 spec
... when should EPUB be addressed... should we wait or act simultaneously with PF

Tzviya: want to avoid drawing out process
... should timeline be part of document (for recommeded changes to HTML)

<ivan> +1 to Markus

MGylling: at minimum, recognize the overlap and importance of timing

Deborah: Tzviya has covered most of issues, there are some other issues specific to accessibility, the Access. TF will be scheduling a meeting ASAP to address
... there may be some overlap with work that happens in PF, we will make sure the overlap is dealt with, but that these issues are also somewhat separate from PF
... will connect with Judy Brewer

<Zakim> liam, you wanted to mention HTML accessibility tf

Liam: mentioned accessibility TF, may be some connections

Bill K: metadata report draft...

Materials in GitHub now, Ivan has agreed to co-read and co-edit

scribe: now open to the whole DPIG to contribute

<ivan> http://w3c.github.io/dpub-metadata/ : report

scribe: three things currently there: 1) interview summary; interviews with people from a variety of publishing sectors on the pain points in metadata; 2) Madi Solomon's interviews of people within Pearson + her report; 3) Bill K and Madi S's conclusions for what needs to be done
... question is now what to recommend to the W3C for possible action, grounded in interviews and summary
... trade mainly concerned about discovery, educational focused on asset & content management, scholarly sees it as more or less a solved problem, news orgs. feel an urgency to write metadata
... summary not intended to be editorial, should be unbiased report of what was heard. Next step is to move ahead with recommendations
... looking for feedback from the IG

<ivan> Initial recommendations

scribe: futile for the w3C to establish vocabularies when there are existing vocabularies that work
... idea of schema.org a good example, the TF does believe schema.org can be enhanced with data used in ONIX
... but not necessarily as an "ONIX lite"
... some of ONIX is relevant, others not,

<madi> Must run. Thank you Bill and Ivan.

BISG is setting up a working group to identify the most essential ONIX elements to be carried forward to schema.org additions

scribe: will work with W3C to figure out where to take it from there

Ivan: will have to figure out how the W3C and BISG will work together for mutual benefit to accomplish this

Bill K: good thing that BIll, Julie, Graham, and Laura Dawson all members of both BISG schema.org WG and W3C DPIG

Bill K; next step to identify priorities

<pbelfanti> apologies, need to drop

<ivan> Richard Wallis is the person to talk to

linked data for libraries project w/OCLC

scribe: how will this work interact with current work going on there?

<ivan> list of participants in the schemabibtex group

Laura: work at OCLC spearheaded by Richard Wallis, was heavily library-centric

<azaroth> +1 to trying (again :) ) to breaking down the silos :)

Bill K: library community far ahead of publishing in linked data space

<dkaplan3> +1 to synthesizing library and publisher needs, and working with lib linked dasta people

Tzviya: ?'s about overall metadata TF document...

some are issues IG can approach and some are not

scribe: burdensomeness of metadata related to lack of metadata traveling with content

Bill K: important to note different types of metadata; some lives with content

Tzviya: inconsistency also develops with lack of rules/standards, i.e. ISO dates

Bill K: metadata associated with publication at a high level also needs to be associated with chunks within the content

these are DB issues that are not necessarily DPIG issues

Ivan: WRT creating URLs or URL-like structures, these should be used for metadata
... needs to be emphasized in the document the connections between annotations

Bill K: need comments about what W3C recommendations should focus on, i.e. schema.org work

scribe: i.e. what recommendations within the document are W3C issues

MGylling: Tzviya could repeat her comments in an email as a start?

Tzviya will do

Ivan: IG can use the tracker to discuss/manage specific issues, so any email that goes through the IG referencing this issue will be logged
... if there are changes, these should be added directly to GitHub
... tracker should be used to properly record issues

MGylling: final agenda item - agenda for TPAC

<azaroth> :) Thank you Tzviya

MGylling: IG has had good progress for finding a replacement co-chair, but not formally decided-- Tzviya will soon be able to step up as co-chair

<Luc> +1

Tzviya will be there and help lead TPAC

<philm> +1


<Bill_Kasdorf> Hooray!!

MGylling: ... which other WGs should the IG try to set up meetings with

proposed draft of agenda for next meeting

<azaroth> The overlap with Annotations is so high I'm not sure that there's any need to have a formal, separate meeting?

scribe: WG's to meet with: Protocols and Formats, CSS,
... agenda for CSS? draft of pagination requirements to present to them

Tzviya: just a few elements ready most likley
... HTML WG, meeting re-validation issues a possibility
... Ivan will help identify who on HTML are key to meet with
... Liam may be able to identify Accessibility TF contacts
...Ivan: is pagination discussion something that would require changes on the dom level?

<liam> [i'm the staff contact for the html accessibility tf]

MGylling: what about Annotations? Ivan: WG will have meeting on Tues
... large degree of overlap between Annotations and DPIG, but not specific topics to discuss at this point

Charlie LaPierre: possible meeting between diagrams team and accessibility team re-SVG attribution

scribe: accessibility WG meeting on Th & Fri.

Ahn Bui at Benetech on accessibility team

<azaroth> +1 :)

scribe: Benetech has offered to have an after-meeting gathering

at some point during the week

Tzviya: what about internationalization?

Right-left and Vertical-right are huges issues

scribe: pagination could be a topic to reach out to that group for help on

Ivan: F2F this week in Beijing on Chinese requirements
... only one character set, but an important one

MGylling: co-chairs and Ivan will produce a proposed agenda next week, open to suggestions
... thanks everyone, until next Monday

[end of call]

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-09-29 15:59:33 $