W3C

Digital Publishing Interest Group Teleconference

18 Aug 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Rob Sanderson (azaroth), Charles LaPierre (clapierre1), Liza daly (liza), Tzviya Siegman (Tzviya), Phil Madans (philm), Alan Stearns (Stearns), Markus Gylling (mgylling), Peter Krautzberger (pkra), Ivan Herman (Ivan), Karen Myers (Karen_Myers), Frederick Hirsch (fjh), David Stroup (david_stroup), Sinyu Murakami (murakami), Laura Dawson (LauraD), Julie Morris, Graham Bell, Deborah Kaplan (dkaplan3), Heather Reid, Paul Belfanti (pBelfanti), Tim Cole (TimCole), Mike Miller (mike_miller), Liam Quin (Liam), Bill Kasdorf (Bill_Kasdorf)
Regrets
Vladimir, Thierry, Dave, Brady, Tim
Chair
Markus
Scribe
Tzviya, Markus

Contents


markus: Approve previous meeting minutes?

<ivan> scribenick: tzviya

approved

Co-chair position

liza: update regarding co-chair
... O'Reilly previously co-owned by Pearson, enabling IG membership

liza: Liza and Debra will still participate as membership gets sorted, but seeking co-chair quickly

<ivan> Liza++++

liza: contact Markus/Ivan with suggestions

THANK YOU LIZA

<pkra> Thank you, Liza -- don't leave us :-)

<liza> Ha ha

TPAC

<mgylling> http://www.w3.org/2014/11/TPAC/

<azaroth> +1!

markus: TPAC is coming in October, DPUB meetings will be Th/Fri
... plenary meetings will be earlier in the week
... will have F2F as well as meetings with other W3C groups, such as PF

ivan: annotations group will likely be announced shortly, and we will likely meet with them
... will be big plenary for 25th anniversary of web on Wednesday
... small registration fee covers food, coffee, etc for the week

<fjh> potential Tuesday for Annotation WG, assuming chartered and assuming logistics work out

ivan: can stay in hotel, but book as early as possible

Karen: register through the TPAC site

<Karen> Karen: non-TPAC participants should register using the public site: http://www.w3.org/20/

Welcome to new members

Heather: Senior director of data at copyright clearance center, largely responsible for bibliographic and rights data
... worked with metadata standards and a librarian by training

Graham: Graham Bell, executive director of Editeur, standards organization, best known for ONIX for books and serials
... interested especially for metadata

Task forces

markus: primary goal is to clarify goals for each task force

<mgylling> charter: http://www.w3.org/2013/02/digpubig.html

markus: let's understand the relationship to the charter
... and discuss relationship of charter to reality
... we have not created one document outlining technical requirements nor reviewed W3C specs

Ivan: IG's are more relaxed than WGs, and we have already produced several wiki pages
... that being said, it would be good for us to create a plan for each TF
... we also have the list of existing specs that thierry created, but it would not be a good idea to freeze this, as the mentioned docs change
... we may wish to ask W3C management to extend the charter for this group (in about 6 months) as the group is scheduled to end in about 1 year

markus: there has been a large difference in TFs in how much accomplished, depending on many variables
... this seems a feature, not a bug. But, it seems that we will continue this way, as the group is heterogenous

Ivan: it is OK that we do not provide 1 document with a list of requirements

markus: we have 1 year left. Each TF should provide requirements in writing by ne year

Annotations

azaroth: annotations - first item is to clarify relationship between WG and Annotation Working Group
... deliverable is to feed use cases into (already done), but may require updates from WG

Ivan: it would be good if document were published as note.

<fjh> is there an action item to get this document published, and on whom?

Ivan: How many people from this IG will be able to participate in Annotations WG?
... We will have to bring publishing colleagues to Anno WG

<fjh> +1 to publishing constituency participation in annotation wg

<Karen> Tzviya: We hope to have someone from Wiley Journals participate

<fjh> with :

<scribe> ACTION: @azaroth use tracker for updating annotations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/18-dpub-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Error finding '@azaroth'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/dpub/IG/track/users>.

<scribe> ACTION: azaroth use tracker for publish annotations use cases as interest group note [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/18-dpub-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-19 - Use tracker for publish annotations use cases as interest group note [on Robert Sanderson - due 2014-08-25].

<pBelfanti> Must drop, regrets

<ivan> Revised annotation wg charter: http://www.w3.org/2014/annotation/charter/charter-revised.html

Metadata

Bill_K: metadata update - Madi and Bill working on summary of interviews
... Draft is in progress, and Bill is working on additional interviews. Will have draft to Madi, Heather, and Graham by end of week
... Will have something for the group to look at in 2 weeks -distilling and summarizing the issues

markus: this could be an IG note

Ivan: Yes, could be a note - if a note, must be in HTML. Send me github info to get access
... it will be important to include recommendations for what W3C could be doing

<mgylling> ACTION: Bill_Kasdorf to publish interview summary [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/18-dpub-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-20 - Publish interview summary [on Bill Kasdorf - due 2014-08-25].

markus: Also, consider what to do after the summary

STEM

pkra: STEM update
... began oral and written interviews and will be able to summarize pain points in the fall


.Markus: do the use cases and pain points together become an IG note?

Markus: this would be helpful as a reference tool
... can we set up a timeline for publishing a note this autumn?

pkra: yes, but this is contingent on people responding

markus: do you have enough helpers?

pkra: yes

<pkra> +1

ACTION pkra publish first draft of STEM use cases and pain points summary

<trackbot> Created ACTION-21 - Publish first draft of stem use cases and pain points summary [on Peter Krautzberger - due 2014-08-25].

Accessibility

Debra: accessibility update
... Charles is co-chairing, PF meeting re: structural semantics is next week
... also scheduled a meeting with Judy Brewer for next week about process for reviewing WAI documents, but holding off until a little clearer on Safari position
... other deliverables for the team are a gap analysis regarding what the DPUB is doing regarding accessiblity
... compiling a list of a11y guidelines for members of DPUB
... and something regarding SVG a11y

Ivan: Judy Brewer's schedule is very complicated. Schedule early

Bill_K: DAISY has clearinghouse of a11y resources that is worth reviewing

pkra: Shadow DOM and a11y is also a known unknown in the a11y world

Ivan: it would be good to include George on the call as well

ACTION dkaplan3 publish gap analysis

<trackbot> Created ACTION-22 - Publish gap analysis [on Deborah Kaplan - due 2014-08-25].

<Bill_Kasdorf> For accessibility resources see of accessiblepublishing.org and inclusivepublishing.org.

<clapierre1> Thanks Bill

Content & Markup

Tzviya: when we last looked at this we talked about expanding use cases, and also the PF meeting affects us, because we are talking about incoroporating vocabs from EPUB in inflection

… think the deliverable would be a write-up of the use cases, and pain points

<Bill_Kasdorf> Link to DAISY clearinghouse of accessibility resources: http://accessiblepublishing.org/

markus: we will continue to discuss this next week and discuss future objectives as well

Ivan: I will set up github repos for all 3 TFs

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: azaroth use tracker for publish annotations use cases as interest group note [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/18-dpub-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Bill_Kasdorf to publish interview summary [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/18-dpub-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: pkra to publish first draft of stem use cases and pain points summary [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/08/18-dpub-minutes.html#action04]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-08-19 07:55:08 $