W3C

- DRAFT -

HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

31 Jul 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
janina, Judy, [Microsoft], Sam, Adrian_Roselli, MarkS, Cynthia_Shelly, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot
Regrets
Chair
Janina
Scribe
MarkS

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 31 July 2014

<janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

Identify Scribe http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

<paulc> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 31 July 2014

<scribe> scribe: MarkS

Longdesc

JS: Did our best to respond to ted oconnor. I think it was a good one. We issued a decision.
... conversation continued in the thread, with additional questions, but no one objected
... PF also had a lot of support
... HTML CfC closes tomorrow
... need to coordinate on next steps. Would like to know how long the CR should be
... per Plan 2014, HTML will be moving forward on schedule (soon). would like to mesh well with that spec.
... would like to capitalize on all the promotion that will be going on for HTML and make sure we can say it's accessible.
... We think end of october should be a good target date for longdesc
... every CfC takes two weeks for us on this. We don't have much wiggle room. In order to get through CR, transition meetings, etc we need minimal length CR

JB: we have an extra lap in the process for each transition, because the CfCs have to be done in the TF and the parent groups

JS: the main discussion for us today is to commit to a timeline.
... we have all the evidence we need for a zero CR, but since its been so long since LCWD, we should have a non-zero CR period

<paulc> The candidate CR document is dated June 20 and states "This Candidate Recommendation is expected to advance to Proposed Recommendation no earlier than 07 August 2014." which seems to imply at least a one month CR period.

JS: we have a table that shows the requirements and how they are being satisfied (test results)

<janina> https://rawgit.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-results.html

PC: originally agreed to a 1 month CR. is that what we are looking at shrinking?

JS: yes

JB: director is aware we would like to move this quickly, so I think we can aim for 1st week of august for the CR transition
... our timeline was compressed as soon as we found out HTML was moving earlier.

PC: my recommendation is that the transition request have everything that is needed to get out of CR included.
... it will help justify the speedy timeline.
... are you comfortable with having a CR period of less than 1 month, and how much less?

<janina> https://rawgit.com/chaals/longdesc-tests/master/test-results.html

JB: we have a nice evidence. People should look at that to see if there is anything missing from this. Is this satisfactory to exit CR?

JS: Is there anyone concerned about shortening the CR period for longdesc?

[no response]

JB: encourage people to look at test results.

PC: the large number of fails should warrant some sort of summary.

JB: everything I can look at, indicates that there is at least 2 passes. There are some questions though, so it should be cleaned up and summarized.
... should tweak the table format as well
... to make it clear

+1

JS: We need a report that demonstrates that we meet the exit criteria. this was scoped more widely than that

<JF> +1 to Janina's comment (re: scope)

JB: I will work with Liam to clarify what is necessary, and what is not
... i would like to check the directors schedule to see if we can aim for a tuesday publication. if not, hopefully thursday

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-admin/2014Jul/0047.html

PC: HTML CfC closes on Friday.

<rubys> "If there are no objections by Fri Aug 1"

PC: advise that the Transition request be started ASAP

SR: who is going to do the transition request?

PC: i was gently suggesting you

SR: I will have a draft with lots of blanks to fill in tomorrow

JS: we have a plan if HTML CfC goes well.
... we will create the report that satisfies EC
... this will put us on a good timeline to reach TR around the same time as HTML5

Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

JS: Haven't heard from Steve or Robin. Not sure what our next step is

DM: Steve indicated he wanted to leave it open for changes

PC: not consistent with CfC to publish as a note

JB: need to discuss with steve. this is not an option.
... since its a note, it can be updated in the future, there is a process for that.

JS: if there were significant changes, the CfC's may be invalidated.

DM: most of the recent work has been mostly editorial

PC: there are two formal objections on HTML5 regarding this document because it was on rec track, but I think we can clear those when this gets published as a note

Media Subteam

JS: Media A11y User Req is ready this week, but there is a geek week moratorium. It should be good to go for next week.
... there are a number of people presenting in August. June and July's presenters should be closed out.
... I think chaals is back in August. he has a few presentations.

HTML 5.1 Next Steps

Picture Element Alt http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/embedded-content.html#an-image-in-a-picture-element

JS: Steve has given us proposed spec language, relevant to the picture element. there hasn't been much discussion.

JF: i noticed that there are two competing ways for specifying multiple assets. picture element and srcset
... from an a11y perspective, is the guidance that steve has here the same or is there now a conflict.

<paulc> Both srcset and <picture> are in HTML 5.1 and they form an integrated solution today.

PC: that is no longer true. they have both been integrated into 5.1 in an integrated way. Someone in the TF needs to do due diligence and verify that this work is accessible.

JS: doesn't seem hard to do, we just need to do it.

JF: I'm busy, but i would dlike to take a look

MS: I can help with that.

JF: MarkS, lets coordinate on this and aim for a couple weeks out. Maybe mark and I can do a report 2nd or 3rd week of august

<scribe> ACTION: MarkS and JF to present on picture element and srcset for a11y concerns [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-278 - And jf to present on picture element and srcset for a11y concerns [on Mark Sadecki - due 2014-08-07].

PC: the decision has already passed in HTML, FYI

JB: curious how much PF has looked at it.

JS: I think we brought it up a number of times but saw no issues.
... now that we had that email from steve, it has prompted us to consider it again.

JF: just talked to steve. he is on vacation but is willing to have a call with Janina regarding alt.

JS: in an hour then.

Other Business

Identify Chair and Scribe for the next TF teleconference http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: MarkS and JF to present on picture element and srcset for a11y concerns [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-07-31 16:09:10 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/transistion/transition/
Found Scribe: MarkS
Inferring ScribeNick: MarkS
Default Present: janina, Judy, [Microsoft], Sam, Adrian_Roselli, MarkS, Cynthia_Shelly, David_MacDonald, John_Foliot
Present: janina Judy [Microsoft] Sam Adrian_Roselli MarkS Cynthia_Shelly David_MacDonald John_Foliot
Found Date: 31 Jul 2014
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2014/07/31-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: jf marks

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]