W3C

Webizen task force meeting

27 Mar 2014

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Veronica Thom, Coralie Mercier, Jeff Jaffe, Jean-Charles Verdié
Regrets
Ann Bassetti
Chair
Jeff
Scribe
koalie, jeff

Contents


<koalie> Previous (2014-03-20)

Action items

<koalie> scribenick: koalie

[JC arrives]

Jeff: Having a new kind of AC reps might be disruptive from the systeam's point of view
... I asked Ted and he concurred
... I said OK, can you assign someone to estimate the cost?
... Ted wants to assign someone when this TF has more than a proposal
... But we might go out with a proposal not knowing how much it's going to cost
... That's a risk.
... " Jeff to write a proposal to write up what an electoral college would look like. "
... action completed
... cf. wiki https://www.w3.org/wiki/Webizen
... I'm going to reassign myself an action to elaborate on how elections should be done.

<scribe> ACTION: Jeff to elaborate on how elections should be done (college) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/27-webizen-minutes.html#action01]

Jeff: I did socialise this proposal briefly with W3M
... There is momentum for this proposal

Veronica: " Veronica to figure what sort of discounts level to devcampus, VS etc. are high-enough to attract people, but not high-enough that they give the services away. "
... I sent my proposal to Jeff and Coralie in e-mail
... We have WebDevCampus, W3Conf, Validator Suite
... Today we have early bird rates
... for training courses and early bird W3Conf registration
... between 10 to 20%
... Recently, at MWC, we issued 200 free credits (20% of tiny package) for W3C Validator Suite
... proposal for a 20% discount that would be available anytime for Training

<bkardell_> Maybe if w3c had any partners doing training you could negotiate similar discount

Veronica: Also 20% for Validator Suite, with cap of medium package
... Registration fees: would be open with a 20% discount, at any point in time
... I talked to Doug (W3Conf orgniser) and he OK'ed this
... Alan thought the Training and VS discounts were reasonable.

Jeff: That all sounds very reasonable to me
... Should others weigh in? Marie-Claire, Jérôme
... once everyone agrees, this should go in the wiki

veronica: Yes
... I couldn't find Marie-Claire when I looked
... I'll get that feed back and update wiki

<scribe> ACTION: Veronica to socialise her proposal further and update wiki (discounts) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/27-webizen-minutes.html#action02]

Coralie: "Coralie to come up with comm plan for low-key start of webizen program. "
... added to plan: a banner or square at top of selected w3.org pages, pointing to Webizen landing page
... investigating ribbons or badges
... Looked at twibbon, open badges
... looking at what would best match Webizen

Jeff: I guess for the comm plan, in my mind, I wouldn't call ribbons as part of a comm plan, but a benefit
... At this point in time we need to progress on benefits
... and be able to list the costs
... It's only March, we have time
... I'm thinking that next time we get together, rather than schedule weekly, I'd rather we get together when we have some ability to review and finalise items, such as list of benefit or comm plan
... The wiki looks close to a complete proposal

Making Webizen attractive

koalie: What about a survey of benefits to the public
... it would link to the benefits and look for +1 or -1
... we would add a comments field for suggestions; no guarantee they will make it to the cut

<bkardell_> koalie - what would such a survey look like?

Jeff: Maybe survey is not the right way to do it
... How about a new blog post pointing to the benefits package proposal and seek feedback and comments

<inserted> scribenick: jeff

Coralie: OK

<bkardell_> Will this post contain stuff about the electoral college proposal?

bkardell_, the electoral college is part of the benefits package

<bkardell_> very good.

<bkardell_> As someone who was in this spot a year or so ago (not a w3c member) it is honestly the most compelling thing to me

<bkardell_> I have plenty of tshirts

[JC departs]

<bkardell_> :)

Coralie: Is this to get money or get people involved in W3C, and will it work?

Jeff: I don't know
... I hear people want to Affiliate with W3C in some way.
... If we overthink it, we will get it wrong.
... So with Webizen we are putting something out there; see if it works
... evolve organically over time.

<bkardell_> It seems an important question is *why* do you want to

<bkardell_> is it for business reasons, I've heard that - it makes you look professional.

<inserted> scribenick: koalie

<jeff> bkardell, The "why" is because we are hearing a community that wants to affiliate better with us.

<bkardell_> or is it because you want to participate and make a difference

<jeff> I would not say that business is the primary driver - it came up from participants at TPAC last year.

<jeff> Grass roots request.. not top down strategic plan

<jeff> whoops

<jeff> Ok. misread what I wrote. I wrote it right the first time.

<scribe> scribenick: koalie

jeff: Coralie, please, at next wiki clean up, take into account the sentiment from this log

<jeff> AOB?

Next meeting

Jeff: It doesn't have to be a weekly meeting
... let's schedule next
... I can have a pass done in a week or so about voting action
... the comm part is more complicated

Coralie: Meet 10-Apr?

Jeff: Yes

Veronica: Yes

<jeff> [adjourned]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Jeff to elaborate on how elections should be done (college) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/27-webizen-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Veronica to socialise her proposal further and update wiki (discounts) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2014/03/27-webizen-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2014-03-27 22:16:14 $