W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

02 Oct 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Silvia, Shadi, Justin, Yehya, Luz, Markel, Christos, Vivienne
Regrets
Yeliz, Klaus, Peter, David, Giorgio, Mark, Annika, Kerstin
Chair
Shadi
Scribe
Markel

Contents


E-Learning Symposium Progress http://goo.gl/bbjL92

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/E-learning_Accessibility

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Call_for_papers:_Accessible_E-learning_Online_Symposium

<silvia> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Accessible_e-learning_symposium

SM: first of all we should decide the dates

SAZ: we are running tight

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Call_for_papers:_Accessible_E-learning_Online_Symposium#Important_Dates

SAZ: one of the places were we can see the dates is the draft CFP above
... are there any particular concerns why you are bringing this up?
... the deadline between the final HTML publication and registration will be tight
... last time they required RTF papers and organisers converted into HTML

CK: the conversion was 1day work, not difficult

SAZ: provided we have submissions on time and text alternatives are also provided

CK: there was only one submission after the deadline
... we converted them on-th-fly instead of waiting for all of them

SAZ: checking and converting to be more precise

SM: Justin and I have discussed about the deadline, and we have taken the User Modeling symposium as an example

SAZ: 22 of Nov is Friday

SAZ: as we said that over the weekend all submissions should be appropriate fomatted

JB: I'm happy to do the fixes doing the weekend

CK: we had 8 submissions to convert them into HTML

SAZ: just want to make sure that when we open the registration on the 25 of Nov papers are available
... regarding HTML or DOC, according to my experience it requires more work to do it from HTML (not advocating for any of these)

SM: we haven't discussed about this

nothing better than that

<Justin> i work all weekend anyway

SAZ: we have the 4 of Nov for deadline, then we have 2 weeks for reviews and notifications…if you are committed to this, that's fine
... ideally we want to announce the symposium next week
... so that potential authors have 4 weeks
... any other reaction to this?

VC: it looks very good, no problems

I just found a typo

Berkley Shell Distribution --> Berkeley

<silvia> ok

SAZ: speaking of MOOCs it'd be great to expand acronyms

<silvia> ok

<Justin> no worries

<Justin> will sort it

<shadi> "allowing/enabling/facilitating"

SAZ: a minor comment we had is the use of slashes

<silvia> ok

SAZ: commas would be better
... any other comments?

<silvia> we are goin to fix them

<silvia> *going

<Justin> thats why we're doing moocs now, before people stop caring

SAZ: elearning in "unconventional devices" seems like a hot topic

<silvia> ok

SAZ: I'll send a email to the list to inform we are going ahead with this
... the announcement is going to sent to WAI-announcements, and list will be CC'ed. You are welcome to make publicity
... the request for review went out this week and we had no controversies so far

Accreditation of Websites Survey

SAZ: this was well received, perhaps we want to discuss where we wanna go with this

VC: we had a few responses to survey: some people said we should be inviting some other people or organise other symposia.

<Vivienne> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/AccMethods/

<shadi> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/AccMethods/results

VC: there is only 5 responses so far

<Justin> ......me and silvia have been working on the symposium

SAZ: klaus, simon, yeliz, vivienne did respond and a high number of active participant's didn't
... we agreed that it was very well led
... the question is, do we want to dig in this? circle back on this or take another topic? if so, who would like to lead? We have the wiki...
... the questionnaire is closed and I'll extend it for a week, until the 8th OCT so that for the next week we have more comments.

<Luz> Yes.

SAZ: anybody who wouldn't be able to review it

SILENCE

Update User Modeling W3C Note Status

SAZ: YM & CK, any news on the research note?

YM: we are still working on this, by next monday it should be almost ready (which will be a draft for internal distribution.

SAZ: that's it for now

<Vivienne> Good idea Shadi!

SAZ: do the survey and have a look at the CFP for the next symposium

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-10-02 18:42:38 $