W3C

- DRAFT -

Web and TV IG - Testing TF call

11 Sep 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Clarke, Kaz, Mark, Giridhar, Giuseppe, Daniel, Bin, Pierre, Igarashi, Cyril
Regrets
Chair
Clarke
Scribe
Mark, giuseppep

Contents


<kaz> Scribe: Mark

Graph of survey results

<inserted> scribenick: Mark_Vic_

clarke: Kaz created a graph for his action item. Kaz will explain.

<kaz> http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Testing/survey-results#Graph_generated_using_the_above_results

kaz: I put the graph on the wiki. the graph includes all 53 results from the surveys.
... The color represents the category of each spec.
... The color is described in the key below the graph.
... External survey on X axis, internal survey is Y axis.

--- Most important is upper right

<giuseppep> scribenick: giuseppep

<scribe> scribe: giuseppep

mark: the testing group now has a TV profile, that came for me as a temporary input waiting for this group to finilize this work
... we now need to provide something similar, that replace what they have
... if we give them this set of data they would have to do this work

<inserted> scribenick: Mark_Vic_

<giuseppep> scribe: mark

giuseppe: we are mixing some internal and external list info, FYI
... I agree we need to generate a profile, but I think a ranking is more useful than a threshold binary decision

clarke: Agree that it's more useful to have a ranking, but also useful to have a threshold to get a first list

giuseppe: i think we should supply all this data to the testing group, and they can decide what to do.
... The coremob list was more from the app POV, whereas the TV list was more regarding devices POV

clarke: does everyone agree with that? [no disagreements]
... we could try more than one approach and compare & decide
... I'd like volunteers to provide columns of priorities
... Clarke & Mark Vickers volunteered to make ranking & threshold columns

<kaz> ACTION: Clarke to work with Mark and create aggregated rank and mandatory/optional columns for the survey table [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action02]

giuseppe: do we also include the graph?

clarke: yes [no one disagreed]

giuseppe: so the final result will be a ranking, a threshold and the graph [no one disagreed]
... In answer to question on the list, we should send it to Tobie's testing coordination group.

clarke: so, we send to tobie directly & let him distribute from there

Introductory text

<inserted> Clarke's generated text (Member only)

clarke: Moving to the paragraph (which is on GoToMeeting now)

giuseppe: change name. take name from wiki or address to tobie
... second, also explain that this is different from the coremob profile in that it is focused on devices and not applications
... mobile was definitely focussed on applications

<kaz> ACTION: Clarke to edit introductory paragraph to include description of audience polled and add correct group name [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action03]

mav: suggest we explain where data is from but not characterize as device vs. app

clarke: any suggestion on where to publish this?

ddavis: I'll ask tobie

<ddavis> ACTION: ddavis to ask tobie about how/where to publish testing coverage list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-142 - Ask tobie about how/where to publish testing coverage list [on Daniel Davis - due 2013-09-18].

Requirements document

clarke: giuseppe, do you want to discuss your comments next?
... the comments are grouped into categories

<Clarke> Req. Document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zY5_C0ZK4_Z2_WMSf2MSu5pBI8tNAgmL2o-Ua_rv1Jg/edit?pli=1#heading=h.raug22jjh5xz

giuseppe: First comment: Descriptions needed.

clarke: agree

giuseppe: About requirements themselves, one thing missing: Do we need the result to be machine readable? Do we need the results to be tamper-proof?

clarke: I'll add that

giuseppe: Some of my comments may be resolved when descriptions are added, so I'll hold off on those

giusppe: Also, not sure why we distinguish general requirements from specific use case requirements

clarke: This just reflects how the requirements were derived, but not sure that evolutionary info is useful in the final report
... In general, I welcome comments on how this report whould be delivered

giuseppe: I feel one general requirement is more useful than the specific/general categories.
... For example, there is duplication between the two lists.
... On the performance requirements: some may be different for different groups. Should the requirements target which group it is for?

clarke: I like pointing groups at particular requirements

giuseppe: we alos need to be specific what we want from each group.
... After the first part of use case requirements, we jump to specific spec requirements (e.g. EME)
... It's not clear to me why we have specific requirements for some specs and not others
... we also have specific spec requirements for specs that aren't in the priority table (e.g. NSD spec)

clarke: table mostly published specs

giuseppe: Need to explain this in the document. explain why we picked certain specs in ranking.
... for example, the section on specific specs could say: "We're monitoring these specs in development and here are some additional testing requirements..."

bin: If we submit the doc to specific groups, it's clear what we want, but what do we want from tobie's group

giuseppe: We want tobie to update the TV mandatory spec list and also use the ranking as needed

(apologize for jumping the queue.)

gmandyam: I was in the coremob group and part of the problem was that the specification list wasn't as useful without performance levels.
... for example, MSE is an example of a requirement that may not work at the JavaScript performance level in mobile devices. So, are we going to address performance level.

<gmandyam> Thanks for summarizing - Mark

giuseppe: I tried to add a general need for performance, but perhaps we also need to address it at the specific spec level, e.g. CSS animation
... Of course, performnace spec would require a standard way to test performance

clarke: Is performance level a spec issue or a market issue

gmandyam: My point is that if you're just specifying functionality without performance, you're not doing a full service. Is performance in scope?

clarke: The group never addressed performance as a scope issue one way or the other

giuseppe: I think we need to address performance

clarke: My hesitation is that performance specs can get very complex

giuseppe: Not sure we need to provide the benchmarks in this group, perhaps just highlight which specs need performance testing and work with the specific working groups on develping performace tests

clarke: running out o f time
... suggest taking performance issue to email list
... we have a number of specific action items on the document
... I'll add action items as formal action items

<Zakim> kaz, you wanted to ask if we want to invite Tobie to this call itself (maybe next time?)

kaz: seems we need even more collaboration with tobie's team, so why not have a joint meeting by phone and/or a joint F2F at TPAC?

clarke: clarke & kaz will follow up on joint meetings

<kaz> ACTION: Clarke to work with Kaz and consider joint meeting(s) with general testing group (Tobie) and make recommendations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action04]

<Bin_Hu> http://www.principledtechnologies.com/benchmarkxprt/webxprt/

bin: Not sure performance is priority of any w3C group now.
... there is an external group (link above) that is providing performance test info

gmanyam: decision to deprioritize performance is tobie's decision. I have provided a performance tool that could be used to tobie.

giuseppe: [unintelligible audio]

<Clarke> Thanks for scribing, Mark

clarke: Let's continue discussion on mail list
... meeting adjourned

<kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Clarke to work with Mark and create aggregated rank and mandatory/optional columns for the survey table [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Clarke to edit introductory paragraph to include description of audience polled and add correct group name [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: ddavis to ask tobie about how/where to publish testing coverage list [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Clarke to work with Kaz and consider joint meeting(s) with general testing group (Tobie) and make recommendations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/09/11-webtv-minutes.html#action04]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-09-11 15:58:03 $