W3C

- DRAFT -

HTML Media Task Force Teleconference

20 Aug 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
glenn, Wendy, davide, markw, pal, ddorwin, joesteele, johnsim, adrianba, BobLund, Plh, [Microsoft]
Regrets
Chair
joesteele
Scribe
johnsim

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 20 August 2013

<ddorwin> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2013Aug/0035.html

<wseltzer> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-media/2013Aug/0035.html

<scribe> scribenick: johnsim

Roll call, introductions

previous minutes

<joesteele> http://www.w3.org/2013/08/06-html-media-minutes.html

Review of open actions/issues

<joesteele> ACTION-25?

<trackbot> ACTION-25 -- David Dorwin to And John S to work on corner cases for bug 17673 -- due 2013-08-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/25

joesteele: johnsim to work on 17673 (action 25)
... defer action 30 until we get to the corresponding bug
... action 37 - assigned to Mark - updating the Wiki

markw: has not been done yet, leave open

<joesteele> action-37?

<trackbot> action-37 -- Mark Watson to Update wiki provided for bug 20944 to cover the case where the drm is supporting by the os -- due 2013-08-20 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/37

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/37

glenn: also two actions marked "pending review", 15 and 23

<joesteele> action-15?

<trackbot> action-15 -- Adrian Bateman to Add text based on henri's comment to the spec for bug 21203 -- due 2013-05-28 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/15

<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21203

ddorwin: review of adrianba changes to address henri's comments on x-domain

x-origin

<joesteele> Thanks. The "or use the crossorigin…" bit at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/rev/69dbfb8baca8#l1.19 is confused, though. A CORS-enabled fetch labels the obtained resource as CORS-same-origin or CORS-cross-origin, so using the crossorigin attribute is part of making a cross-origin resource CORS-same-origin. I suggest replacing " or use the crossorigin attribute on the media element and CORS headers on the media data response to authorize cros[CUT]

joesteele: re-open the bug to make changes as suggested by Henri

<joesteele> action-23?

<trackbot> action-23 -- Aaron Colwell to Update spec for bug 22134 by the next call -- due 2013-07-02 -- PENDINGREVIEW

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/23

joesteele: skip this one since it is MSE and not all right people on the call

<joesteele> issue-1?

<trackbot> issue-1 -- Consider moving the Clear Key definition into a separate specification -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/issues/1

adrianba: parked until we get to recommendation - decide this on implementation experience

glenn: just noticed in blink proposal to suggest support in android and already in the desktop

adrianba: just one of the discussion point - we just said we didn't need to make a decision on this right now

EME Heartbeat Publication

<joesteele> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2013Jul/0039.html

<glenn> link for blink/android implementation of eme/clearkey is https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!topic/blink-dev/hyP7GAg3mlE

wseltzer: no publications next week (w3c)

joesteele: which means it would have to be the following week if we think that is doable. do we want to say

adrianba: i would be happy to prepare the draft

ddorwin: anything we want to get into the heartbeat?

adrianba: we need to make the change for stable URL and that should be good enough

EME Status and Bugs

<joesteele> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html

joesteele: start with bug 22901

https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=20966

decision to close was made in previous meeting and it is due next week

https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21854#c9

adrianba: due next week - no existing action - define action

<adrianba> ACTION: adrianba to implement bug 21854 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/20-html-media-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-38 - Implement bug 21854 [on Adrian Bateman - due 2013-08-27].

https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=21855#c5

joesteele: in the implementation we are working on, we are able to count all the references, so we don't get an orphaned session

adrianba: not so much orphaned, since there still is a reference, say you have two sessions sharing a key, you need to fire a keymessage
... we agreed you only need to fire one keymessage, if you do that, you keep around the other session, do they all move into pending
... originally you had two needkey events, so you create two sessions at the same time, but after the first cycle of getting ready

<joesteele> johnsim: need to document the use cases we are describing - hard to handle the otherwise

joesteele: where should that documentation take place? In the bug? Use case as a template?

adrianba: start an email or in the bug and go from there so we can make good progress before November

<joesteele> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=17673

<adrianba> ACTION-25?

<trackbot> ACTION-25 -- David Dorwin to And John S to work on corner cases for bug 17673 -- due 2013-08-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/media/track/actions/25

ddorwin: last week discussion about pssh and interop
... anyone could use format for pssh and system id
... do we want to only support CENC or other proteciton systems.

joesteele: we are saying we would send less information. part of the proposal to not include the sinf box?

ddorwin: current is to include the sinf box for other protection systems.

<joesteele> johnsim: this was discussed in Leone - I took an action item to meet Dave Singer as he had an objection to passing just SINF boxes in the init data

<joesteele> ... he said what he thought should be passed

<joesteele> ... for full generality -- we modified the spec with his input

<joesteele> ... additional modifications came later

<joesteele> ... but there are consequences for these changes that make it complicated

<joesteele> ... if we were to only suppor the CENC it becomes less complicated

<joesteele> ... PSSH would not need to be passed (we think)

<joesteele> ... formatting of the PSSH payload is a separate question - going beyond W3C since those are proprietary

<joesteele> ... that is where we landed as of last discussion

<joesteele> ... everyone seems to be using CENC

<joesteele> ... all the changes we put in were proposed by Apple (Dave Singer)

<joesteele> ... we have some bifurcation in the spec already, could separate out the CENC and have it very well documented

<joesteele> ... what do the editors think?

ddorwin: if we change the title to cenc, interop seems like what we want to target

<joesteele> johnsim: would like to get resolution on this soon

<joesteele> ... if there are objections we need to know what they are

joesteele: not publishing a heartbeat next week, give ourselves a week to talk about it. get a resolution before the heartbeat spec?

ddorwin: still alot of issues beyond choosing common encryption.
... more stuff to fix beyond - long list of concerns
... we could simplify by first four bytes are 'cenc' or indicate in the mime type it is common encryption in order to support other protection types

markw_: any format for EME - use common encryption - that is - i think saying with common encryption on title is fine, but then if they came with a different format, then we would ask about the impact on interoperability

adrianba: make the proposal, highlight the discussion to those who suggested we make the change in the first place
... a little uncomfortable not having a way to support other protection systems. maybe do as David suggested to signal common encryption

markw_: we say anyway that the initdata is a sequence of iso boxes, and in our common encryption it will be pssh boxes, if someone comes up with a different format they would define a different set of ISO boxes

joesteele: my comments - i agree - we want to say "common encryption", and agree with David proposal that we be flexible
... main concern to deciding this is that D Singer is not on this call, and do some research on what exactly would have to be passed
... i need to verify if the Adobe solution will work with only pssh - but standardizing on common encryption is a good thing

adrianba: send a mail to the list and cc them (David Singer, etc.)

<joesteele> johnsim: we should send an email and update the bug with the direction

<adrianba> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=18515

adrianba: jerry and I had an action on 18515 and Jerry added a comment - we think the readystate should not change - we can discuss by email or on the next call

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: adrianba to implement bug 21854 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/08/20-html-media-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-08-20 16:08:42 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: johnsim
Inferring Scribes: johnsim
Default Present: glenn, Wendy, davide, markw, pal, ddorwin, joesteele, johnsim, adrianba, BobLund, Plh, [Microsoft]
Present: glenn Wendy davide markw pal ddorwin joesteele johnsim adrianba BobLund Plh [Microsoft]
Agenda: http://timeanddate.com/s/2ebe
Found Date: 20 Aug 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/08/20-html-media-minutes.html
People with action items: adrianba

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]