W3C

Internationalization Working Group Teleconference

11 Jul 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Addison, JohnK, Richard, Norbert, Aharon, Mati, David
Regrets
Chair
Addison Phillips
Scribe
aphillip

Contents


Info Share

richard: working on tests

<r12a> http://www.w3.org/International/tests/

richard: still a ways to go, but rewriting many of the tests
... basic idea is to script scriptable tests
... so framework can see if tests passed or failed
... or ref tests (compare this page against a known good page)
... rewrote framework so we can export these tests into flatfiles
... for "test the web forward" initiative
... did some of that previously, but test framework progressed

<scribe> ... new ones with blue background ("in development")

... organized by section of the spec being tested

richard: aharon, need to work on bidi tests
... have a feeling some rewriting and need more tests
... share things needed?

aharon: many tests present
... test writing group working on them
... they haven't been submitted yet
... what we have could be sent, but only fraction of what's intended

ellipsis and @dir

aharon: talked to CSS-WG
... current spec on ellipsis is ambiguous
... can't be interpreted as requiring logical truncation
... tried to look up discussion
... was in f2f a couple years ago
... not very detailed arguments
... responded
... mati agreed with main parts of argument, some further detailed discussion
... could discuss minor point of where to draw ellipsis
... IE and WK put ellipsis at visual end rather than logical end
... no action on the bug yet
... on a different but from amir ahroni
... where he asked for isolation for both lang and dir
... Hixie responded that we should clone if WHAT-WG should consider

richard: should happen automagically, per Robin?
... forward email to him and inquire?

<scribe> ACTION: aharon: ping Robin to notify that the bidi bug wasn't cloned to see if there's a gap in process [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action01]

aharon: thinking about email to Mark
... question posed might not want to be asked
... effect on <bdo>
... should cause more concern on regular in-line elements like <span>
... same kind of change

action-234: need to indicate no longer interested

<trackbot> Notes added to ACTION-234 Ping Mark Davis asking if Google can get statistics on <bdo> usage.

aharon: should be isolated too

TPAC

norbert: you got us space mon/tue which are the days I can't go
... anyone else going?

<scribe> ACTION: addison: move our tpac days to thurs/fri [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-240 - Move our tpac days to thurs/fri [on Addison Phillips - due 2013-07-18].

inter-character annotation

discussion of tate-chu-yoko

richard: something in open type to support

<aharon> Have to go. Bye everybody.

richard: substitution of glyphs (so maybe half sized glyphs)
... etc.
... then use that to get right sized horizontal glyphs
... up to browser how to get these in
... solution should say something like "if you have a mechanism such as x-and-y opentype feature"

addison: auto TCY unlikely

richard: intro to unicode: shouldn't use zenkaku characters?
... will probably change what I say
... john d was looking for support
... if anyone interested, might want to read thread

Charmod-Norm

http://www.w3.org/International/docs/charmod-norm/

"Searching and Matching Textual Content"

norbert: identifiers vs. natural language text: make clear in chapter titles

<matial> Have to leave. Bye.

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: addison: move our tpac days to thurs/fri [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action02]
 
[PENDING] ACTION: aharon: ping Robin to notify that the bidi bug wasn't cloned to see if there's a gap [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-i18n-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-07-12 05:17:20 $