Web Cryptography Working Group Teleconference

24 Jun 2013

See also: IRC log


+1.857.928.aaaa, +1.512.257.aabb, jyates, +1.202.596.aacc, rbarnes, virginie, Wendy, [Microsoft], +1.540.809.aadd, karen_od


<trackbot> Date: 24 June 2013

High-level API brainstorm

<wseltzer> scribenick: virginie

richard: would prefer to discuss the abstraction of the API to make it more usable
... using pre-combined set of parameters
... exposing the concept that you want to do, without dealing with the details of implementation

Mike: reminds that choice of algorithms have to be in hand of the developers

Richard: yes, we need to expose the appropriate choice but hiding the other parameters. E.g. make the dev choosing its public or symetric choice

Mike: how many things are already in JOSE : 10 signing, 6 key encryption algo, 4 plain text encryption algo
... a small set of algo have been chosen
... we may produce an api similar to JOSE format

Virginie: how do Richard and Mike idea overlap ?

Richard: sounds similar

as JOSE provides with packages

Virginie: how to implement those ideas

Richard: simplified abstract API was already expressed in the mailing list
... it could be a JOSE library on top of web crypto API

Virginie: when would you be able to do that

Richard: there might have someone able to work on it in summer/fall

Virginie: what about Microsoft ?

Mike: no ressource is planned at the time due to priority management

Virginie: what about Mozilla ?
... what do we report to the WG ?

Richard: we can report something to the WG in F2F in fall

Mike: +1 to richard
... wikipage could keep track of the use cases and objective

Richard: Will provide with the notes on the mailing list

Virginie: please recap the JOSE context and reference together

<rbarnes> here are the notes i wrote up before: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fO4PtoYrh_y8gR7zgdc9jvB1buw840kRTxMIA1ySv9o/edit?usp=sharing

Mike: explains to Karen the status of the discussion

Virginie: what about the integration aspects (synch between the server and client)

Richard: JOSE took care about that (in case of autogeneration, choices are part of the output)

<rbarnes> philosophy document underlying those API notes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u5CEshTRE0KXjZd8hgLaTxBSgMh4ryokutXoGgpUPCA/edit?usp=sharing

Mike: Microsft is still motivated to get someone to work on it

Virginie: this gives us a roadmap, but we still would need to have developers feedback

Richard: testing in the JOSE comunity could make sense

Virginie: the milestone could be code writing until Oct, then talking to developers to test first samples

<wseltzer> trackbot, end teleconf

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-06-24 20:39:19 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.138  of Date: 2013-04-25 13:59:11  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: virginie
Inferring Scribes: virginie
Default Present: +1.857.928.aaaa, +1.512.257.aabb, jyates, +1.202.596.aacc, rbarnes, virginie, Wendy, [Microsoft], +1.540.809.aadd, karen_od
Present: +1.857.928.aaaa +1.512.257.aabb jyates +1.202.596.aacc rbarnes virginie Wendy [Microsoft] +1.540.809.aadd karen_od
Found Date: 24 Jun 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/06/24-crypto-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]