W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

12 Jun 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Annika, Christos, Luz, Markel, Simon, Yehya, Shadi
Regrets
Peter, Silvia, Justine, David, Giorgio
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Annika

Contents


Update from User Modeling for Accessibiliy Symposium

Yehya: sever papers have been submitted and are now distributed to the reviewers.
... The reviewers had to register in the system and should have received an email about the papers they should review.
... The deadline has been extended until Friday. One ore two more papers might be submitted.

sharper: What's you first impression of the papers?

Yehya: All papers fit the call. The reviewer will give more detailed feedback.
... Deadline for reviewing the papers in 2013-06-24.

shadi has not received the review email.

Yehya will check to make sure the emails were sent.

shadi: The deadline for the CfP was rather short. Consider to invite people to provide additional input to the symposium (same as for the TC4R and E2R symposia).

Yehya: Yes, we will do that.

New RDWG Charter (10m)

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/charter4

<shadi> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd/2013Jun/0017

<sharper> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47076/RDWG-Charter/results

<Luz> Yes, minor fixes

shadi: the minor issues are alread fixed.

<Luz> +1

sharper: Maybe order the "Potential future topics" alphabetically.

+1 for no change

<sharper> +1

<markel> +1 no change

<shadi> RESOLUTION: leave order of list of potential topics as is

<markel> +1

<sharper> +1

<Luz> +1

<Yehya> +1

<shadi> RESOLUTION: leave suggested duration of symposium as is

sharper: Should we write 2 hour symposium or leave the duration open? Please +1 to leave unchanged.

<christos> I am trying to get on the phone but zakim does not recognises the password... so for the time being no audio...

<shadi> +1

<sharper> +1

<Yehya> +1

<markel> +1

sharper: Changed source sentence from "Research Reports (W3C Note): A brief written synopsis of discussion" to "Research Reports: A brief written synopsis, as W3C Working Group Notes, of discussion"

+1

<shadi> RESOLUTION: change "brief synopsis" to "synopsis"

<sharper> +1

<markel> +1

<Yehya> +1

sharper: +1 for "5 or more acitve participants"

+1

<shadi> RESOLUTION: leave minimum participation as is

shadi: Some of Shawn's comments are administrative.

sharper: Change "currency" to "relevance"?

<shadi> [[topics will be addressed. Topics will vary based on the available resources and expertise, currency and potential impact of the topic]]

<sharper> +1

<shadi> currency -> timeliness?

<markel> +1

+1

<Yehya> +1

<sharper> List item 2: "Topics will be nominated, selected and prepared by RDWG

<sharper> participants in good standing." The main point of the symposia is to invite

<sharper> contributions from the accessibility community. Suggest to add a sentence:

<sharper> "The accessibility research community is invited to contribute to the

<sharper> symposia. The contributions are peer-reviewed and are published by the

<sharper> RDWG."

<sharper> +1

<shadi> RESOLUTION: change "currency" to "timeliness"

+1

<markel> +1

<Yehya> +1

<Luz> +1

<shadi> RESOLUTION: link to RDWG FAQ from explanation of symposia

<sharper> I think a clear value of RDWG would be to

<sharper> identify research of immediate or near term value to active W3C standards

<sharper> activities. Granted RDWG is forward looking, I suggest there is a need to

<sharper> identify problematic areas existing in current activities (One that comes

<sharper> to immediate mind, No clear consensus on how to present long descriptions)

<sharper> and fast track science-based assessment of relevant research and practice,

<sharper> and if warranted, champion targeted usability/accessibility research to

<sharper> examine potential solutions.

<sharper> I would like to see the charter reflect this important role in a clear

<sharper> manner for RDWG.

sharper: RDWG should emphasize the long-term perspective.
... According to coordinaton group and Judy.

<shadi> [[Identifying and detailing areas of research (existing or absent) that may significantly impact accessibility of the Web]]

shadi: First point: Identify areas of research is covered already.
... Second point: champion targeted usability/accessibility research. Are RDWG in a position to do that?
... Maybe initiating research fits better.

<Luz> I agree too

shadi: RDWG is more like a "think tank". Actual research is beyond the scope.

+1

<sharper> +1

<Yehya> +1

shadi: Markku is not on the call. The issue should be discussed with him by email.

Shadi is going to write an email to Markku.

shadi: please look at the summary email and check that your comments are addressed.
... The charter has to be finished by the end of the month.
... Any other comments on the re-chartering?

Mobile W3C Note

shadi: the editors are working on the comments.

Easy to Read W3C Note

shadi: there will be an updated draft soon.
... any other issues?

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-06-12 15:24:28 $