29 May 2013


See also: IRC log

Attendees for main MLW-LT call (not editing call)

Ankit, Des, Karl, felix, olaf-michael, philr, sebastian, leroy, Yves, dF, Jirka, tadej, pedro, david, yves, dave, Pedro
christian, jörg

Attendance for editing call is given at editing call


]init[ presentation

sebastian: Implmentation of ITS in Libre Office Writer
... plan to finish in July
... public agency customer, files translated by agencies
... translate, locale, term and loc Note categories

<scribe> ...new toolbar buttons for data categories

sebastian: in middle of implementation schedule, gui challenges
... extension can be installed, 3/4 categories implemented, markup can be attributed and notes added
... markup can be visualised
... load and save working
...Challenges: WYSIWYG editor - have to make sure markup is never compromised by editing activities
... identification of markup extents
... no big challenges with specification - was quite clear to read for implementation engineers
... complexities in implementation because of use of various api's
... had to use bookmarks
... other challenges with file locking mechanisms and xml serialisation
... file round trip odt->bookmark-odt->itsodt->xliff->itsodt->bookmark-odt
... next steps: finalise gui issues and import/export, present in Dublin and publish in July

daveL: are you using existing best practice for how to visualise markup?

sebastian: avoid well known formatting used for product functionality

daveL: does highlighting indicate markup existence or markup content?

sebastain: it just indicates markup existence

daveL: is there a facility to filter which tags are displayed?

sebastian: No, other than button state

daveL: data categories have different use caes and so perhaps need to be filtered within a CAT tool environment

sebastian: other questions?

Pedro: can metadata visualisation be expanded or collapsed for readability?

sebastian: No, as not possible in Libre Office

Pedro: search and replace works in metadata?

sebastian: No, because metadata is stored within implementation's own memory

Pedro: can edit metadata in Libra Office and Xliff?

sebastian: if you load Xliff then ITS is read in as ODT Bookmark

Pedro: if I select text which includes metadata and add attribute, can I go back and edit?

sebastian: yes
... you can edit existing metadata

fsasaki: segmentation would be very useful to have for translation agencies

end of presentation

Testing current state

<fsasaki> http://htmlpreview.github.io/?https://raw.github.com/finnle/ITS-2.0-Testsuite/master/its2.0/testSuiteDashboard.html

We still have ITS Parameters to implement - plan to do so in parallel with NIF

dF: not confident to complete tests by June 11

<fsasaki> ACTION: felix to look into dashboard update [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/05/29-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-534 - Look into dashboard update [on Felix Sasaki - due 2013-06-05].

several topics

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013May/0259.html

There is NIF test files available, VistaTEC and TCD will implement

Dublin Showcase soon, re-use presentations as much as possible

daveL: Please register for Showcase
... please also publicise

Section 1-2 edits from Christian

fsasaki: If anyone can spare time to edit please do so

daveL: we should make best effort to include those sections
... primer document is still the same effort
... think we should keep going with best effort

Pedro: suggest - each person takes 1 hour and writes a small paragraph under each index item so at least there's some content for the editors to choose from

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/Input_to_section_one_and_two_by_all

fsasaki: great idea, please use wiki page above

daveL: that would work for data gathering

dF: Pedro's idea good

<omstefanov> Somewhat off topic of today's meeting: I've added a reference to my talk at JIAMCATT 2013 on 16 May, as item 20 in http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/wiki/Presentations_archive and uploaded my presentation.

12/6 fsasaki to provide edit 17/6 first f2f look at edit, see action-535


daveL: any questions on the ITS->Xliff mapping?

sebastian: we are not there yet

<fsasaki> xliff 1.2 mapping overview http://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/XLIFF_1.2_Mapping

sebastian: will do in June and contribute back information

omstefanov: 17/18 in Dublin?

fsasaki: yes

omstefanov: I posted a link to my presentation - have credited a few working group members - have uploaded to wiki

fsasaki: MLW-lT meeting ended. below are editing call minutes.

editing call

Participants: Dave, David, Felix, Yves, Pedro, Christian

<fsasaki> meeting: MLW-LT editing call. going through [ACTION-377] mail.

<fsasaki> 1.4.4 Specific HTML support > 1.4.1 Specific HTML support

<fsasaki> 1.4.5 Mappings: one paragraph per subsection

<chriLi> RDF/NIF

<fsasaki> rename nif mapping section to

<fsasaki> "ITS and XLIFF" and "ITS and RDF/NIF"

<fsasaki> felix to write nif section (= one paragraph)

<fsasaki> dave to write, david to review XLIFF paragraph

<fsasaki> "1.4.6 Unicode normalization" - felix will send ODD paragraph to christian

<fsasaki> "1.4.1 Additional data categories"

<fsasaki> take text content from req document about why they were added

<fsasaki> pedro to send motivation text via mail to felix

<fsasaki> "1.4.2 Modified data categories": dropped ruby, modified diretionality

<fsasaki> modified translate and elements within text for html

<fsasaki> modifications: dropped ruby

<fsasaki> terminology datacat change

<fsasaki> "translate and elements within text for html": say that it was modifeid for translate only

<fsasaki> same for selectors

<fsasaki> wrt to HTML changes: refer to HTML explanatory section

<fsasaki> "5.3.3 CSS Selectors" > input to Modified selectors

<fsasaki> "5.3.1 Choosing Query Language" > input to Query language on rules element

<fsasaki> " Parameters in selectors" gets input from 5.3.5 Variables in selectors

<fsasaki> " Traceability (toolsRef)"

<fsasaki> gets input from "5.8 ITS Tools Annotation"

<fsasaki> "1.4.6 Unicode normalization"

<fsasaki> content of "1.8 ITS 2.0 and Unicode Normalization"

<fsasaki> "1.4.7 Extended implementation hints"

<fsasaki> "how to do it with RDFa, ..." - make people aware of major approaches that are supported etc.

<fsasaki> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt/2013May/0252.html

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-mlw-metadata-us-impl-20130307/

<fsasaki> christian to look up in the spec

<Yves_> Side note: " Traceability (toolsRef)" should be " Traceability (annotatorsRef)"

<fsasaki> "1.2 General motivation for going beyond ITS 1.0"

<Yves_> Sorry: I have to leave for another meeting. Bye.

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.odd

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.odd-version-for-sec-1-2.odd

<fsasaki> "1.2 General motivation for going beyond ITS 1.0"

<fsasaki> - cover more usage scenarios

<fsasaki> - cover enhancement ideas in ITS IG

<fsasaki> - other communities to address other content types than XML, e.g. HTML

<fsasaki> - new mechanisms were needed, e.g. toolsRef etc.

<fsasaki> - refer to three gaps we had in project proposal (felix will provide)

<fsasaki> - multilinguality in web is evolving, we need to respond to that

<fsasaki> the web is changing, we are changing too

<fsasaki> christian will spell this out in the odd

<fsasaki> "1.3 Broader Usage Scenarios"

<daveL> section 1.3 broader usage scenario

<daveL> dave: asks do we keep the user profiles

<daveL> christian: thought we could express all this through use cases

<daveL> dF: useful to keep the actors, but more condensed and perhaps integrated into the use case

<fsasaki> ODD for editing sec1-2 is now here: http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20-for-editing-sec1-sec2.odd

<Pedro> Usage scenarios: http://www.w3.org/International/its/wiki/Use_cases_-_high_level_summary

<Pedro> More about usage scenarios/users: http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#users-usage

<daveL> ideas for clusters:

<daveL> content producers

<daveL> vendors of tools

<daveL> MT (and postediting?)

<daveL> terminology and text analytics

<daveL> QA and provenance

<Pedro> Clusters : 1. Content creation; 2. Content translation 3. Content publishing 4. Content leverage 5. Content analytics 6. Content learning/search processes 7. Content data link

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-mlw-metadata-us-impl-20130307/

<fsasaki> group "2.1 Simple Machine Translation" to 2.18 under the 7 clusters?

<fsasaki> felix to try grouping by clusters in sec. "1.3 Broader Usage Scenarios", rather "1.3 Usage Scenarios"

<fsasaki> now looking at sec. 2

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#basic-concepts

<fsasaki> dropping sec. 2, having in sec. 1 one example that explains everything

<fsasaki> http://doodle.com/qnu3nhm7rncww2k2#table

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20-for-editing-sec1-sec2.odd

<fsasaki> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20-for-editing-sec1-sec2.html

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: felix to look into dashboard update [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/05/29-mlw-lt-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.138 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-05-30 08:05:37 $