W3C

Site Redesign Task Force

09 Apr 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present: Ian Jacobs (Chair), Kelly McCarthy, Bev Corwin, Robin Ginn, Michael Nieling, Betsy Chang, Dorian Taylor.

Contents


home page: http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign

<scribe> agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-site-design/2013Apr/0003.html

<Bev_Corwin> Hi everyone!

[Betsy Chang hello]

Update on site analytics request

<dorian> Apache log referrer path scanning script located at http://doriantaylor.com/file/referrer-map.pl

<dorian> (related post: http://doriantaylor.com/visualizing-paths-through-the-web )

a. What are top 100 visited URIs?

b. What are top 25 search terms?

c. Where do people use search box?

d. What are the top 10 links followed from the home page?

e. What are the top referrers?

f. How many unique visitors?

IJ: What other questions should we answer?

Robin: I'm getting some data back from MS on what analytics one can do from (Bing) site bar.

<dorian> related reading: http://rosenfeldmedia.com/books/searchanalytics/

Robin: Privacy bar is set very high...based on some EU policies....we have that as a worldwide policy
... our engineering team has offered to work with W3C on writing the code that would be needed to write the search bar

betsy: I am wondering if last week if you discussed audiences.

IJ: any other questions we want answered?

Dorin: Lou (Rosenfeld) has some interesting presentations on search analytics

http://uxdesign.smashingmagazine.com/2012/05/16/stop-redesigning-start-tuning-your-site/#comments

<betsy> Similar question to the ones listed above: How do people enter into the site. Do most people come in through the homepage or through another page?

dorian: I've been working on a technique to come up with who/what/where (encodable in RDF!)

<Kelly> Related to the long tail concept, where are users failing?

Dorian: ...could be useful to represent constituents and their need.

<dorian> http://privatealpha.com/ontology/ibis/1# replaces Danny Ayers' IBIS vocab which disappeared

IJ: How do you get "failing" from analytics?

Kelly: I heard Lou talk about this....where users drop off
... knowing what they are doing and also where they are dropping off

Bev_Corwin: Analytics will show you dead pages as well

<scribe> ACTION: Ian to schedule time to work with Robin and MS on analytics; and to update wiki with questions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/09-site-design-minutes.html#action01]

Audiences/stakeholders

<dorian> http://privatealpha.com/ontology/content-inventory/1# is for automated content inventory and text metrics

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#W3C_Audiences

<dorian> foaf, org and skos are useful for expressing business ecosystems

IJ: Any progress, Bev?

Bev_Corwin: Ian and I will chat this week; send to list.
... since the launch of the accessibility group, has that had an impact on who accesses the site?

IJ: WAI goes back to 2000.
... impact of CGs
... multimodal?

<Kelly> Yes, please.

Notes on requirements -> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Notes_on_Implementation_Requirements

Bev_Corwin: Question for survey of external users - importance of translations
... Scott Thomas

<dorian> http://thenounproject.com/ re scott thomas

<dorian> also worth capturing, Laura Wesley at the Government of Canada just released an accessibility toolkit: http://wet-boew.github.io/wet-boew/index-eng.html

Bev_Corwin: We will have to write /document requirements on content strategy

IJ: phase 1 or phase 2?

Bev_Corwin: Sooner is better

Michael: Keeping design and content separate is a good thing...
... so aesthetic guidelines should happen late

IJ: Got a link to some governance info?

Kelly: Sooner is better, but we have a limited amount of time....I think we won't get there in Phase I

IJ: +1 to calling out the gaps!

<betsy> Is there a project timeline /gantt chart already created ?

not a gantt...no..not yet

<dorian> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Solve_It ;)

IJ: Should we be creating personas at this point (for audiences)?

dorian: Probably at this point just get a feel for archetypes
... rough sketch of archetypal groups

<betsy> do we need to wait until the brand research is done before we identify these user archetypes/personas?

dorian: prioritize by opportunity...if you have scenarios don't wait around.

Surveys

external -> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2013/SiteRedesign#Survey_for_External_Audiences

internal?

Robin: I sent Ian a draft....
... intended to be lightweight....

<betsy> some of these types of behavioral questions might be hard for people to answer in a survey

<dorian> perhaps the fuzzier questions should be done in interviews then

<dorian> that'll generate more gelid questions for a survey

<Kelly> would recommend both specific and open-ended questions

<dorian> the WGs would be an archetypal group

<Bev_Corwin> Website Governance Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Website_governance

hanks!

Confirm next meeting: 23 April

<dorian> good to go here

<dorian> nono

<dorian> yes

<betsy> can we keep the 4:30 PM

<dorian> should probably just standardize on eastern time

<betsy> yes

standardize on eastern

Proposed: 4:30ET on 23 april

<betsy> great

So RESOLVED

<dorian> do you want me to work on the results from the systems team, or is there an access issue there?

<dorian> i.e. gephi viz

<dorian> ok

<dorian> it's i/o bound

<betsy> is there a google analytics account?

<betsy> or other that we can look at

no google analytics

scribe: that's my question into the systems team

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Ian to schedule time to work with Robin and MS on analytics; and to update wiki with questions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/04/09-site-design-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-04-09 23:44:43 $