W3C

Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

20 Mar 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Luz, Vivienne, Shadi, Yehya, Annika, Klaus, Justin, Giorgio, Simon
Regrets
Markel, Shawn, Yeliz, Mark, Christos, Silvia, David
Chair
Simon
Scribe
Klaus

Contents


F2F Discussion (5m)

SAZ: Last meeting decided that a meeting will be hold; Thursday May 16
... Room pending, meeting will be confirmed after clarification

<Luz> Does it take all day?

<Luz> OK

SA: It is a full day meeting

<Luz> Thank you.

<Luz> I can find a nice place for that.

<Justin> preferably something in wheelchair driving distance

<Luz> Ok.

Metrics W3C Note Status (5m)

SA: Updated version received, comments fixed, Editing still needed.

GB: Few things to be fixed; all comments implemented.
... Final version less than 2 weeks

<shadi> [[Recently, a plethora of metrics has been released to complement the A, AA, and AAA Levels measurement used by the WAI guidelines.]]

SA: Copy editing needed for such examples. Content is fine but grammer and style issues to make it easier for readers
... use of plethora is unusual

SH: use is fine.

VC: no problem with the sentence

<giorgio> those capitalization changes can be done in a week.

GB: we should not be that critical.

<Vivienne> plethora - definition - an overabundance or excess

SH: We should finish next week and decide.

SA: Process: Group takes a resolution to publish, then it goes into publishing pipline. As a final publication it will be reviewed internaly.

<giorgio> ok for me.

SH: Resolution will be in agenda for next week. Last changes like those of Luz to be finished till next week.

Mobile W3C Note Status (5m)

SH: Will look for changes on Wednesday. 4 items left. Friday draft with all issues corrected.

SA: Resolution to publish first working draft. Many dependencies with other groups which should have chance to comment.
... We send by mail to other groups and ask for comments in a week or so.

SH: Friday document to Shadi, to be forwarded to other groups (coordination group); next Wednesday out and feedback till after Easter

Text Customisation W3C Note Status (5m)

<giorgio> i can do that

<Vivienne> I can

Easy to Read W3C Note Status (5m)

<giorgio> KM: first draft ready, edited by Lienz group; Klaus hopes beginning next week is done

<giorgio> KM and ready for feedback and discussions

<giorgio> SZ: suggests putting content in the wiki, should be good also for other workshops;

<giorgio> SZ: which tools were used?

<giorgio> SZ: especially which tools for extracting from the wiki?

<shadi> scribe: giorgio

KM: standard html editors
... we edit it as soon as feedback comes along

SH: simon has a template for the Notes; he's unable to locate it now
... will forward it to Klaus and to Shadi

KM: they used as a template the one for text customization; will need to make sure that the format is the proper one.

User Modelling Topic Plans (10m)

<Klaus> thanks Giorgio

it's been a pleasure, Klaus. back to you.

YM: Started to go through template, topic on wiki, next step to make call following template; next week first version to be shared

SH: Feedback to template and procedrues welcome.

YM: comments after finishing this step.

Haptics and Smart Signs Topic Plans (10m)

SH: Markku is not here. Will update and bring Wiki in good order. Updated step by step procedure should help.

New Layouts and progress in moving to this style (5m)

<sharper> Draft starts at: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/rd/home.html>

<sharper> Wiki with notes: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/RD_Symposia_Design>

<sharper> Status: Draft complete?

<sharper> * Liam to confirm To Do list items are complete

<sharper> * Shadi to do final review

<Justin> like it

+1

<sharper> like it

<giorgio> +1

SA: Liam will do final edits, then final review by Shadi, some coding, Time line to be checked.

<giorgio> I see it with a serif font. is it right?

GB: Serif font should be perhaps omitted.

SA: What I recall there is no best practice. If there is strong preference we should discuss.

<giorgio> no strong preference

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/RD_Symposia_Design#font

<Luz> Trye

<Luz> Yes

<Vivienne> That was my understanding also Giorgio

SA: Serif better on print, san serif better on screen

<shadi> [[SK: My copy is also displaying with a serif face which has been a long term no-no for computing, although good for reading print text. It is of course about time that all the typeface usability research was redone in relation to current display screen technology which is hugely superior to the days when the earlier research was done! ]]

Luz: Study with 80 participants underlines this

<giorgio> so we have more evidence than just an opinion ;-)!

Luz: Document of the study not finished - hopefully soon.

SA: Different opinion that such older studies are outdated. Up to us to decide. On consensus we can change.

Luz: Will send information to Shawn.

SA: To send information to RDWG

SH: no meeting week after next

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-03-20 20:14:24 $