W3C

- DRAFT -

Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

15 Feb 2013

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Shawn, Sharron, Bim, LiamM, +45.41.73.aaaa, Sylvie_Duchateau, +61.4.473.8.aabb, Andrew, hbj, Shadi, +1.650.348.aacc, Jennifer, IanPouncey, [IPcaller]
Regrets
Wayne, Suzette, Helle_(?), Shadi
Chair
Shawn
Scribe
Sharron

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 15 February 2013

trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: Education and Outreach Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 15 February 2013

<scribe> Scribe: Sharron

Easy Check - Page title images

<shawn> section: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/eval/checks#title

<shawn> wikie comments: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Eval_Analysis#Images_of_menus

<Andrew> shawn probably meant: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Web_Accessibility_Preliminary_Evaluation#EOWG_Notes_on_Page_Title

Shawn: We have notes on this in a couple of places. Andrew suggests alt text should include browser name.

<shawn> example of images for menu selections: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/eval/checks#altff

<shawn> comments on images of menu selections: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Eval_Analysis#Images_of_menus

Shawn: Suzette said it would begin to look like a long tutorial. Perhaps just one.
... Vicki and Andrew think the images are useful and help people understand. All images should have the same width.

Sharron: It is an entirely personal perspective. Some people will use it well, others will find it distracting and not helpful.

Andrew: I agree in general. I find the helpful but know that others don't. Is a toggle possible or add too much complexity?

Shawn: We have expand/collapse already so adding another layer of show vs hide content seems like a lot. Most images will be collapsed by default.

<hbj> +1

Bim: It depends of our target audience. They are non-expert. Many are not even aware that they are in a browser much less how to locate a page title. It could suit the audience we are targeting.

<Bim> +1

<Andrew> +1

<LiamM> +1

Shawn: The proposal is to add images but only where they will add value for the target audience.

+1

Shawn: Thanks to Annabelle for drafting those illustrations
... haven't talked about it since it came out of the wiki. Let's look at it with the expand/collapse mechanisms on the first three items.
... should Tips and Learn More be expanded or collapsed.

Liam: Collapse it.

<Andrew> collapsed

Bim: Yes, it is clear what they will get, it should be collapsed

Shawn: Any other comments about how it looks on a real page?

All: Yes, good

Easy Checks - Next Steps section

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Web_Accessibility_Preliminary_Evaluation#Next_Steps

Andrew: Reads the paragraph.

Shawn: The primary audience is non technical people who want a general idea about the accessiiblity of a web page.
... so it I am having trouble with a site, I might want to find out how accessible a site is for my own use.
... but also high level review for experienced people, and newbies.

Jennifer: So do we want to link from "Contacting orgs" to create that relationship.
... I can't work this week on this. Can someone else take over?
... I guess this heightens for me the fact that we are trying to accomplish a lot with this. We are trying to reach a very broad audience.

Shawn: Thanks for drafting this and we can focus and think more about what we want it to say. If we step up a level let's think aobut the messages we want to convey?
... First was to say what do I do with the information I found. Second, even when internal people use it, how to report it is useful as well.
... what other points do we want to get across?

Sharron: It conveys the preliminary aspect of the check.

<Zakim> Andrew, you wanted to mention 2 audiences > 2 parts to section

Jennifer: I am not necessarily committed to roles and responsibility section

Andrew: If we introduce the next Steps with two separate sections depending on whether you are an external user or internal with related duties.

Shawn: Good. What else do we want to convey?

Jennifer: Do we need to link elsewhere?
... I had nothing specific in mind other than general informaiton like WCAG2 and other overview kinds of docs? How People with Disabilities Use the Web.

Shawn: In the intro we link to a few.

Jennifer: "If you missed the links in the intro...."

<Andrew> http://www.w3.org/WAI/users/inaccessible#pointers

<Vicki> Vicki just on IRC today

<Vicki> no... i can't sing to save my life

<hbj> shadi are you joining eo in san diego?

Jennifer: Make sure to remove roles and responsibilities from Next Steps.

Shawn: Thanks so much Jennifer for giving us this draft.

Check in on sections

Shawn: Ian, where are we on text size and zoom.

Ian: I had nothing to add it was more the question of whether it is included or not, do we recommend a browser or not?

Zoom and Text Size section

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Web_Accessibility_Preliminary_Evaluation#Zoom_and_text_size

Shawn: A couple of things. I also have a question about BAD - do any pages that break with zoom?

<shawn> Question for Shadi or others: Are there any BAD pages that break with text or page zoom?

Shadi: I believe the News page was meant to but browsers have improved.

Shawn: Ian can you take a look at how the other sections are drafted?

<shawn> ian look at <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/eval/checks>

<Andrew> suggest inlcuding instructions for returning to normal (i.e. ctrl-0) and/or decrease zoom (i.e. Ctrl -)

Shawn: When we talked about it before, we decided to decrease emphasis on 200% and a few other things.

<Andrew> also suggest including how many Ctrl +s are needed for 200%

Ian: what was the specific recommendation?

Shawn: To talk about zoom but not as much about 200%, since if most pages break, they break early.

Bim: Isn't the current escalation 6 increases to reach 200%?

Sharron: I thought it was 5.

Ian: I can look it up.

Bim: Especially if we are going to use a specific browser, that is a good way.

Andrew: Also tell them how to zoom back down so they are not stuck in zoomed mode.

Shawn: Yes how to get back to default.
... I am looking at What to Do and don't think for this one we need that. Or do we think it is sufficient to check in several different browsers?

Ian: I would recommend in a version of IE

Shawn: Do any of the other browsers have that?

Ian: Chrome but it is buried many layers deep.

Shawn: Do we want to recommend a path?
... do any versions NOT support zoom?

Ian: IE6

<shadi> or just "in most browsers"

Shawn: Can we say "all major browsers except IE6 and earlier"?
... so far we have only two references to browsers.

Andrew: Could say "if you are using IE..."

<shadi> +1

Shawn: See if we can do without the note that references a specific requirement?

Andrew: Should horizontal scrolling be referenced further up as one of the things to look for?

Ian: It depends. It could get a scroll bar at some point. Depends on window size and others. It could impact the pass/fail status.

Andrew: Some of the others are not clear as well, but just indicate a potential issue.

Ian: But how do you know of a potential issue. I have a small screen, horizontal scrolling could be needed without breaking WCAG.

<Andrew> happy to drop it

Bim: It is a AAA criteria in any case, aren't we getting too detailed for this?

Andrew; Yes I don't think we need to mention horizontal scroll. It is problematic.

Shawn: We want to explain the basics so they know what they are checking but not so much that it becomes like a full tutorial.
... are you good to take another edit pass?

Ian: Horizontal scrolling only applies to text?

Shawn: Would you be able to do the edit pass by Wednesday?

Ian: to take an edit pass at the text size and zoom section - due by Wednesday 2/20

<scribe> ACTION: Ian: to take an edit pass at the text size and zoom section - due by Wednesday 2/20 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/15-eo-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-273 - take an edit pass at the text size and zoom section [on Ian Pouncey - due 1970-01-01].

Shawn: Sharron, are you availability to work on your sections by Wednesday?

Sharron: Yes

Shawn: Andrew, keyboard equivalents?

Andrew: Yes have made a start and will do more over the weekend.

Shawn: Can we do informal testing at CSUN with what we have?

Andrew: If we do not see it is good shape, people will be more likely to comment the less polished it is.

<shawn> usability testing notes: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Eval_Analysis#Usability_Testing_-_notes

Shawn: We have a section on the questions we want to ask, to look for in the usability testing we might do at CSUN. Please think about and add to those questions about insights we might want to get from people there.
... we'll talk more about that next week. Anything else on Easy Checks?

<shadi> +1

Shawn: And those who won't be at CSUN are encouraged to use it as well in your own testing.

<Vicki> Start with accessibility: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Start_with_Accessibility

Start with Accessibility

<shawn> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Start_with_Accessibility

Shawn: Vicki has done a lot of work on this. If you follow the link from the agenda. and if you want a cleaner version, there is a link in IRC
... Vicki, we have not looked at this for a while.

Vicki: Many comments, made by Suzette and others have made it into a different shape, more high level, will continue to make it less technical. It has changed quite a bit. If you can look and comment by Monday I will have a time to be on the phone with you. It is now more project oriented.

Shadi: It has really changed and I am very pleased with how it has changed. I wonder about overlap with Implementation Plan for Accessiiblity which it seems more similar to in ths version.

<shawn> overlap with other documents: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Eval_in_process#Current_related_WAI_information

Vicki: There is overlap, but the purpose and use seems to me quite distinct.

Shawn: Can you take a look and see if perhap we do not want two documents. Perhaps this will replace the other to significantly change the Implementation Plan.

Sharron: Should everyone look at both and comment on that question?

Shadi: I know the goals of this document have been a moving target. Should we review the goals of each?

Shawn: yes good point. To counteract the fact that we are doing a lot of publication of evaluation materials, we need to insert thinking about accessiiblity earlier in a process so that it does not become an add on at the very end.
... that was the goal of the Start with Accessibility document.

Helle: I was just looking at the implementation plan. It was update a bit in 2011, but otherwise is quite old. Do we want to put this in in place of that one?

Shawn: That is what we are trying to decide. Shadi, how does it relate to WAI-ACT?

Shadi: An update for the implementation plan is part of what is expected from WAI-ACT.
... this was meant to suggest ways to get accessiiblity consideration moved earlier into the development process. Now it looks more like accesisiblity planning and budgeting more than what the initial goal had been. The question is have we moved so far away from our orignal goal which was to have accessiiblity in the beginning of a process.

Helle: We have a paper somewhere about accessiiblity throughout a process. Is that part of this?
... we talked about the development of policy and implementation somewhere.

Shadi: Yes, it pops up in many documents but what we don't say is HOW to consider accessiiblity early in a proecess.

Vicki: I looked at this from the POV that it is important to consider accessibility early and how to get everyone bought into the process. The need to get all stakeholders engaged.

Shadi: That is where the overlap begins.
... while it is outdated guidance in the Implementation plan, the goals are strongly overlapping.

Shawn: I don't have clear concpet either of how these documents relate to each other.

Helle: Can this one be the start of teh revision of the older one?
... could we look at them together and see if we can't do some re-use?

Shawn: I wonder if we are prepared for this discussion about how they relate and what direction to take.
... perhaps we can think aobut this and talk about it next week.
... Vicki what is your availability to work on this and consider the relation between this and the other WAI documents.

Sharron: So what do we do about the goal for this - evaluation early in the process?

Shawn: We started with that and then made the decision to broaden the goal. The question now is have we lost the specific goal in drawing this bigger picture?

Shadi: I am looking at the earlier version. At the different stages of development we had some checklists and things to do early. Slowly we have stepped back and ended up with a higher level view rather than particular steps regarding accessibility checking. How did we make that decision?

Shawn: We decided not to make a checklist. In terms of project management, it is something that Vicki knows a lot about.

Vicki: I went into a lot of detail about what to do in the early versions. It was becoming too detailed and as a groups decided it would be a more high level document.

Shawn: We should keep the priority on the Easy Checks but if some time is available over the week end to review and think about the positioning of this work related to existng WAI documents as well as current work.
... any additional comments?

Face to Face

Shawn: Plan now is to meet for a long, working brunch. On Monday we have the library from noon and on Tuesday we have the room from 9:00 am
... that seems like a good time for you to join, Vicki.
... I will have a detailed agenda for reveiw next week.
... have found a location for brunch but costs seemed high.

Jennifer: It's California, not likely to look for anything less expensive.

<Andrew> open: monday thru friday 7:30am-10:30pm

<Andrew> two eggs over easy with bacon, baguette & herb butter 9. - seems ok

<hbj> +1 looks good

<hbj> OK

Shawn: Will put addresses on the logistics page for the F2F

Jennifer: Will anybody be driving to the brunch spot?
... will coordinate off line

<Vicki> bye

Shawn: Thanks all, will stay in touch by email.

<Vicki> -Vicki

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Ian: to take an edit pass at the text size and zoom section - due by Wednesday 2/20 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/02/15-eo-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-02-15 15:15:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/from intro/from Next Steps/
Succeeded: s/ theya re/ they are/
Succeeded: s/youa re/you are/
Succeeded: s/Should it be/Should horizontal scrolling be/
Succeeded: s/Heel/Helle/
Succeeded: s/addiitonal /additional /
Found Scribe: Sharron
Inferring ScribeNick: Sharron
Default Present: Shawn, Sharron, Bim, LiamM, +45.41.73.aaaa, Sylvie_Duchateau, +61.4.473.8.aabb, Andrew, hbj, Shadi, +1.650.348.aacc, Jennifer, IanPouncey, [IPcaller]
Present: Shawn Sharron Bim LiamM +45.41.73.aaaa Sylvie_Duchateau +61.4.473.8.aabb Andrew hbj Shadi +1.650.348.aacc Jennifer IanPouncey [IPcaller]
Regrets: Wayne Suzette Helle_(?) Shadi
Found Date: 15 Feb 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/02/15-eo-minutes.html
People with action items: ian

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]