W3C

- DRAFT -

SV_MEETING_TITLE

17 Jan 2013

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
HadleyBeeman, +91.80.67.84.aaaa, DaveReynolds, Sandro, +34.91.334.aabb, olyerickson, biplav, bhyland, +34.91.334.aacc, boris, martin_, TallTed, +91.80.67.84.aadd, PhilA, Mike_Pendleton, james, Yigal, BenediktKaempgen, BartvanLeeuwen
Regrets
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
sandro, Hadleybeeman

Contents


<bhyland> dialing in, apologies...

<sandro> scribe: sandro

<olyerickson> (says...)

(martin alvarez)

bern: we could do tracker or talk about w3

sandro: I'm not willing to partiticpate in this w3 discussion

<olyerickson> bhyland: proposes "Discuss visibility of W3C in Open Government Data landscape"

hadley: is this official thing? or informal?

<HadleyBeeman> I'm just curious about whether/how this fits within our charter.

<HadleyBeeman> (Or if this is an off-the-record chat)

bern: I could air my concern and people can tell me it's not a problem

sandro: is this the same as at tpac?

<HadleyBeeman> scribe: Hadleybeeman

HadleyBeeman, I'll keep scribing, it's fine.

<scribe> scribe: sandro

<HadleyBeeman> Go for it, sandro. Thanks!!

bern: GLD was set up with an expectation of participation from data.gov.uk and John Sheridan
... I went to a conference at US NIST -- which is the org responsible for broadly data stewardship related to measurement -- and there wasn't any presence of the W3 there. Audience of 400-500 people.
... we're not so visible, from what I can tell.
... are we visible in the UK, in Spain, etc?

PhilA: +1 sandro I don't think this an appropriate use of the group's time. we have open issues, vocabs, etc.

<bhyland> PhilA

PhilA: I'm happy to talk about what's going on, but it's not for this meeting.

bern: I'll take this to elsewhere, then.

<olyerickson> Was this the NIST conference? http://www.nist.gov/itl/cloud/cloudbdworkshop.cfm

bern: anyone else?
... yes, olyerickson that was it.

<bhyland> Proposal to accept minutes from last week: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2012-12-20

Admin

<bhyland> Minutes from last week: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2013-01-10

<DaveReynolds> +1

<Mike_Pendleton> +1

RESOLUTION: accept minutes from last week http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2013-01-10

<HadleyBeeman> +1

next F2F

bern: no update on dublin meeting

<scribe> ACTION: bhyland set up f2f wiki page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-85 - Set up f2f wiki page [on Bernadette Hyland - due 2013-01-24].

<bhyland> ACTION: Tracker Review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Error finding 'Tracker'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/users>.

<bhyland> 1. Open items, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/open

http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/raised?sort=product

sandro: let's sort by the Product column, so they are grouped that way.

issue-28?

<trackbot> ISSUE-28 -- Is a vocabulary 5-star? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/28

bern: Any guesses what Michael was thinking?

sandro: I see it's coming from a Vatant post.
... Is this stuff in the current best practices doc?

bern: it's not now, but it would be good to add.
... examples would be good.

sandro: maybe close this and action bern to add a draft to bp

DaveReynolds: bernard's post covers stuff we're already doing in our vocabs

<scribe> ACTION: bhyland to pub guidance in bp checklist guided by http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/02/is-your-linked-data-vocabulary-5-star_9588.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-86 - Pub guidance in bp checklist guided by http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/02/is-your-linked-data-vocabulary-5-star_9588.html [on Bernadette Hyland - due 2013-01-24].

PROPOSED: close issue-28 given action-86

<TallTed> +1

<DaveReynolds> +1

RESOLUTION: close issue-28 given action-86

<bhyland> Next: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/15

close issue-28

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-28 Is a vocabulary 5-star?.

issue-15?

<trackbot> ISSUE-15 -- GLD life cycle -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/15

<TallTed> trackbot, associate action-86 with issue-28

<trackbot> ACTION-86 (Pub guidance in bp checklist guided by http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/02/is-your-linked-data-vocabulary-5-star_9588.html) associated with ISSUE-28.

bern: Boris and I can still work on this.

<bhyland> Next: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/16

<scribe> ACTION: bhyland to include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-87 - Include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15) [on Bernadette Hyland - due 2013-01-24].

<scribe> ACTION: boris to include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-88 - Include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15) [on Boris Villazón-Terrazas - due 2013-01-24].

RESOLUTION: close issue-15 based on action-87 and action-88

close issue-15

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-15 GLD life cycle.

<TallTed> trackbot, associate action-87 with issue-15

<trackbot> ACTION-87 (Include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15)) associated with ISSUE-15.

issue-16

<TallTed> trackbot, associate action-88 with issue-15

<trackbot> ACTION-88 (Include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15)) associated with ISSUE-15.

issue-16?

<trackbot> ISSUE-16 -- Re-usable sections or other GLD documents -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/16

bern: I'd call this a topical mapping of the various things in vocab docs and best practices. we need consistent review of deliverbales so they don't contradict each other.
... much of bp was initially a cut-and-paste, and we don't want to the same info in two locations.
... I think we can just close this -- the review cycle will already take care of this.

<HadleyBeeman> +1 to this being a part of the editorial process

proposed: close issue-16 it's part of normal process

<bhyland> Next: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/12

RESOLUTION: close issue-16 it's part of normal process

close issue-16

<trackbot> Closed ISSUE-16 Re-usable sections or other GLD documents.

issue-12

issue=12?

issue-12?

<trackbot> ISSUE-12 -- What values to use to describe formats of dcat:Distribution? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/12

<olyerickson> Most recent update from Fadi was http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Dcat_examples

DaveReynolds?

DaveReynolds: not involved in dcat enough to comment

olyerickson: This is about whether there should be some suggested formats. There was much back-and-forth in email. Most recent was a set of examples that fadi put into wiki.
... I don't have a problem with this, but I don't see clear consensus yet.

<DaveReynolds> +1 to move to Open

bern: shall we mark it OPEN and action someone to review the status

+1

<bhyland> +1

<TallTed> yes -- mark issue open, push proposed resolution through email, schedule vote on proposal for future calll...

<DaveReynolds> -0 to creating action since we need someone to take the ACTION:)

heh

<bhyland> @DaveR, we'll get to that … ;-)

olyerickson: ISSUE doesn't have a proposal, it's just a question.

bern: olyerickson do you understand what Fadi was looking for?

open issue-12

bern: I'll talk to Fadi about dcat issues, for a future meeting

<bhyland> Next: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/30

okay, all DCAT RAISED issues now OPEN.

data cube RAISED issues

DaveReynolds: let's scan them one by one, so we only open the ones we're going to put time into.

issue-30?

<trackbot> ISSUE-30 -- Declaring relations between cubes -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/30

DaveReynolds: discussed in email this past week. one cube might be a summary of another cube.
... benedikt said something, ... I'm concerned this may be too complex for this WG. Let's leave this RAISED for now.

<bhyland> issue-31?

<trackbot> ISSUE-31 -- Supporting aggregation for other than SKOS hierarchies -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/31

DaveReynolds: it may be beyond the bandwidth of this WG

bhyland: so leaving it as RAISED means it's kind of on our to-do list if we have time.

DaveReynolds: let's open issue-31 and take care of it.
... eg goegraphic relationships

open issue-31

<TallTed> "by ..."?

<scribe> ACTION: DaveReynolds to propose solutions for issue-31 - due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Error finding 'DaveReynolds'. You can review and register nicknames at <http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/users>.

<scribe> ACTION: Dave to propose solutions for issue-31 - due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-89 - propose solutions for issue-31 [on Dave Reynolds - due 2013-02-14].

<bhyland> issue-39?

<trackbot> ISSUE-39 -- Data Cube: Allow skos:Collections as value of qb:codeList -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/39

DaveReynolds: This has also been discussed recently. Probably not out of scope. But I think it has to be richard moving this forward.

<bhyland> issue-37?

<trackbot> ISSUE-37 -- Align Data Cube with SDMX 2.1 -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/37

DaveReynolds: Richard is also better placed to comment on this. I'm not familiar with the changes in SDMX 2.1. Someone needs to review and figure out if this is a feasible amount of work.

bern: I'd like to put it on the nice-to-have someday list.
... there's more low-hanging-fruit.

<bhyland> issue-34?

<trackbot> ISSUE-34 -- Clarify or drop qb:subslice ? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/34

DaveReynolds: The question is whether SDMX has changed in ways that make it simpler, better -- and maybe that would make our job easier.

sandro: maybe we should use POSTPONED status instead of leaving it RAISED?

DaveReynolds: Not yet -- let's have some review first.

<bhyland> issue-34?

<trackbot> ISSUE-34 -- Clarify or drop qb:subslice ? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/34

<scribe> ACTION: Dave make a proposal on issue-34 -- due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action08]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-90 - Make a proposal on issue-34 -- due 4 weeks [on Dave Reynolds - due 2013-01-24].

<bhyland> issue-33?

<trackbot> ISSUE-33 -- Collections of observations and well-formedness of slices -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/33

<scribe> ACTION: Dave propose solution to issue-33 -- due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action09]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-91 - Propose solution to issue-33 -- due 4 weeks [on Dave Reynolds - due 2013-01-24].

<olyerickson> Clarify "using it?"

<bhyland> issue-32?

<trackbot> ISSUE-32 -- Relationship to ISO19156 - Observations & Measurements? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/32

<olyerickson> There are bioinformatics projects inthe US using it

<olyerickson> (Cube)

DaveReynolds: since the issue was raised, we now understand how to do this. there's NOT a one-size-fits-all.
... so we need an informal clarifyin appendix.

<scribe> ACTION: Dave draft an informal appendix to clarify Relationship to ISO19156 - Observations & Measurements? re issue-32 - due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action10]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-92 - draft an informal appendix to clarify Relationship to ISO19156 - Observations & Measurements? re issue-32 [on Dave Reynolds - due 2013-02-14].

dav: this ISO std stands out with particular need here
... don't want to have to relate to every other std

<bhyland> issue-29?

<trackbot> ISSUE-29 -- Criteria for well-formedness -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/29

<PhilA> Might that be a QB Profile??

DaveReynolds: This is a bigger one. The cube allows a lot of flexibility. To make it robust and consumable, we need some device in the spec for conformance. We have to address this somehow, but it'll be hard.

<scribe> ACTION: dave come up with a proposal on issue-29 - due 6 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action11]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-93 - come up with a proposal on issue-29 [on Dave Reynolds - due 2013-02-28].

PhilA: Is this a Cube Profile?

DaveReynolds: Maybe. It's diffferent in that cube has an abbreviated syntax. That makes it more like SDMX, but requires custom inference to understand it.

dav: in spirit it's a profile, but with more machinery.

ORG Vocab "Raised" tracker items

RegOrg

<bhyland> Change of plans ...

<bhyland> issue-46?

<trackbot> ISSUE-46 -- Should GLD vocabularies define conceptual models too? -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/46

bern: this was raised by cygri... anyone know?

PhilA: ADMS and RegOrg come from a world where people use conceptual models, not just RDF. Then the conceptual models get translated to RDF. Richard asked if that two-stage model is necessary in this group.

phil: in the fpwd this has happened. we don't mention anything but RDF, I think.
... So I think for regorg at least this has been resolved.
... I think it can be closed, but we should check with richard.
... conformance statement says you COULD use XML or something, but 'prefers' RDF.

<scribe> ACTION: phil to check with richard on whether issue-46 can be closed, as already taken care of by regorg fpwd [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action12]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-94 - Check with richard on whether issue-46 can be closed, as already taken care of by regorg fpwd [on Phil Archer - due 2013-01-24].

<bhyland> issue-41?

<trackbot> ISSUE-41 -- use of skos:altLabel or dcterms:alternative -- raised

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/issues/41

phil: I think this is a dave question, since it comes from Org.

<bhyland> +1

phil: regorg differs from org here.

dav: you had some examples with things with multiple names in the same jurisdiction, so can't use prefLable.

phil: yes.

bern: given popularity of skos, I'd say use prefLabel

phil: there are cases where an org has mult lables in one lang.
... might have two names with same standing.

down to 18 raised issues. good job folks

bern: thanks everyone, sorry for going overtime.

<BartvanLeeuwen> thx

<BenediktKaempgen> bye, thanks

<bhyland> Thank you all, very productive call re: deliverables

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: bhyland set up f2f wiki page [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: bhyland to include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: bhyland to pub guidance in bp checklist guided by http://blog.hubjects.com/2012/02/is-your-linked-data-vocabulary-5-star_9588.html [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: boris to include life cycle information into bp (from issue-15) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: dave come up with a proposal on issue-29 - due 6 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: Dave draft an informal appendix to clarify Relationship to ISO19156 - Observations & Measurements? re issue-32 - due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: Dave make a proposal on issue-34 -- due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: Dave propose solution to issue-33 -- due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: Dave to propose solutions for issue-31 - due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: DaveReynolds to propose solutions for issue-31 - due 4 weeks [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: phil to check with richard on whether issue-46 can be closed, as already taken care of by regorg fpwd [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action12]
[NEW] ACTION: Tracker Review [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2013-01-17 16:43:00 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: sandro
Inferring ScribeNick: sandro
Found Scribe: Hadleybeeman
Found Scribe: sandro
Inferring ScribeNick: sandro
Scribes: sandro, Hadleybeeman
Default Present: HadleyBeeman, +91.80.67.84.aaaa, DaveReynolds, Sandro, +34.91.334.aabb, olyerickson, biplav, bhyland, +34.91.334.aacc, boris, martin_, TallTed, +91.80.67.84.aadd, PhilA, Mike_Pendleton, james, Yigal, BenediktKaempgen, BartvanLeeuwen
Present: HadleyBeeman +91.80.67.84.aaaa DaveReynolds Sandro +34.91.334.aabb olyerickson biplav bhyland +34.91.334.aacc boris martin_ TallTed +91.80.67.84.aadd PhilA Mike_Pendleton james Yigal BenediktKaempgen BartvanLeeuwen

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon20130117

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Got date from IRC log name: 17 Jan 2013
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2013/01/17-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: an appendix bhyland boris dave davereynolds draft informal phil propose solution tracker

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]