W3C

- DRAFT -

Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

12 Dec 2012

Agenda

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
+1.617.225.aaaa, lgombos, Josh_Soref, bryan, +49.173.537.aabb, dcheng3, dom, Milan_Patel, Clarke, AnssiK, +1.858.750.aacc, nwidell, fjh, Laszlo_Gombos, Diana_Cheng
Regrets
Chair
fjh
Scribe
Josh_Soref

Contents


<trackbot> Date: 12 December 2012

<scribe> scribe: Josh_Soref

Administrative

<fjh> Network Information API updated draft published: http://www.w3.org/News/2012#entry-9640

<fjh> Proximity API Last Call publication planned for tomorrow.

<fjh> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/0039.html

<fjh> Last Call of "Proximity Events" published, comments through 24 January - http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-proximity-20121206/

<dom> [I think we should also discuss https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/f2fQ12013/results since the questionnaire is now closed]

<fjh> (news announcement: http://www.w3.org/News/2012#entry-9649 )

<fjh> Reminder - no teleconference 19 December, 26 December, 2 January. Next call 9 January 2013.

Minutes Approval

<fjh> 28 November 2012 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/att-0005/minutes-2012-11-28.html

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Draft minutes from 28 November 2012 are approved.

RESOLUTION: Draft minutes from 28 November 2012 are approved.

fjh: let's resolve that last week's minutes are approved as well

RESOLUTION: Draft minutes from 5 December 2012 are approved.

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/0042.html

HTML Media Capture

fjh: we have a new updated draft
... reflecting the capture attribute

<AnssiK> HTML Media Capture

fjh: we have an updated draft
... i want to agree to publish it today

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: The WG agrees to publish an updated Working Draft of "HTML Media Capture" on 13 December 2012

fjh: if we don't publish it today, we hit the moratorium which takes us into January

<dom> +1 on updated WD

<AnssiK> +1 to publish

Josh_Soref: +1 to publish

RESOLUTION: The WG agrees to publish an updated Working Draft of "HTML Media Capture" on 13 December 2012

<fjh> ACTION: fjh to send publication request for HTML Media Capture [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-603 - Send publication request for HTML Media Capture [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-12-19].

fjh: thanks AnssiK for your work on this

F2F Planning

<fjh> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/f2fQ12013/results

<dom> Results of survey for picking date for next F2F

fjh: looks like Mar 4-8 is promising

dom: it looks like Apr 8-12 is preferred

fjh: it isn't the best for me
... is there any possibility of doing it not the #1 choice?
... there's a problem for me that week

dom: Mar 4-8 is annoying to 6 people

fjh: i can't meet on Friday

Josh_Soref: don't we usually only meet 3 days anyway?

fjh: how many days do we meet?

dom: usually 2.5

fjh: could we do Mon-Wed ?
... i think it depends on where we're hosting?

Milan_Patel: do we have material for more than 2 days?

fjh: why don't we plan on 2 days?

dom: the problem is that people tend to leave early on the last day
... cutting time shorter

fjh: i'd have to return on the Wednesday

dom: let's say Apr 9-10

fjh: does anyone know if they can host?

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: next F2F will be held 9-10 April 2013

fjh: i'll send out a request for hosts
... i need to get back on thursday

RESOLUTION: next F2F will be held 9-10 April 2013

<fjh> I will need to return on Thursday, so need to end Wed

<fjh> ACTION: fjh to request offers of hosting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/12-dap-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-604 - Request offers of hosting [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-12-19].

fjh: we were thinking Europe
... but it depends on who can host
... anything else on this topic? any volunteers to host?

Network Information

<fjh> Visibility into radio status? http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Dec/0012.html (Bryan)

fjh: bryan, should we talk about this today?
... or on the list?

bryan: let's carry on the list

dom: i've seen this notion of being able to react to the radio state
... brought up a number of times
... it was also brought up in Web Performance
... i think it's something fairly important and useful on mobile devices
... independently of Network Information API
... i think it would be very good
... we need to know whether anyone is interested in doing something in that space
... i think there are performance and battery benefits to be gained from that approach

fjh: bryan, i think your message outlined the rationale

gmandyam: i tend to agree w/ nwidell 's message
... radio state can be useful for power consumption
... i think it's less useful for connectivity/bandwidth
... taking it back to a Web Performance Workshop
... I had a paper on keep-alive for a web socket connection
... the web structure isn't designed to map well to radio connections
... mapping full radio state to the browser is probably not useful, even detrimental

fjh: i was thinking of a higher level

nwidell: i'm of similar thinking as gmandyam
... radio state
... i don't know if we can
... i think it's pretty difficult for this to work out
... this information is hard to work with/to understand
... if every web developer must understand this information
... to make use of it
... i don't know if it would be very good

<dom> [I think exposing it via grouping network requests or setting priority would work best, indeed]

nwidell: which is why i think it should be done by the browser
... maybe a queuing mechanism done by the browser
... but not exposing the details to the application

Josh_Soref: +1 to favor queuing

fjh: we had that discussed at a F2F

dom: i think it's easier to discuss concrete proposals

<fjh> need implementer feedback

dom: i agree we need something at a higher level than radio state

<fjh> generally +1 to higher level approach

nwidell: i think it would be very good
... if we could try to figure out
... what developer problems
... what information they would like to have
... what information they'd have use for
... i tried to look into this
... it's very difficult to figure out what UCs we're trying to solve
... also to address adrianba's comment at TPAC
... big players/small players

<Zakim> Josh_Soref, you wanted to +1 nwidell 's call for UCs

<fjh> josh_soref: 1. need use cases

<fjh> josh_soref: 2. need facts of radio behaviour

bryan: i think UCs are fine
... if it would help to explain the type of things we're trying to seek advantage from
... there are plenty of papers we could reference
... i suggest we continue the discussion on the list
... i don't see problems as nwidell sees
... i think we need to talk about the problem of JS libraries v. deferring behavior to the browser
... those are two different approaches

fjh: i agree this should go to the list
... i think we need to work this through

AOB

fjh: our next call is Jan 9, 2013
... i'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year, whatever else
... and we can use the list for anything else that comes up

nwidell: has there been any update on Web Intents at all?
... there was a message from greg

fjh: no
... i need to follow up
... thanks everyone for their time

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to request offers of hosting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/12-dap-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: fjh to send publication request for HTML Media Capture [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/12-dap-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012-12-12 15:27:07 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/chair: dom//
Succeeded: s/XX/HTML Media Capture/
Succeeded: s|http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/camera/WD4.html||
Succeeded: s|WD4.html|WD4.html HTML Media Capture|
Succeeded: s/gains/benefits/
Succeeded: s/+q/q+/
Succeeded: s/our/iour/
Succeeded: s/lll/ll/
Found Scribe: Josh_Soref
Inferring ScribeNick: Josh_Soref
Default Present: +1.617.225.aaaa, lgombos, Josh_Soref, bryan, +49.173.537.aabb, dcheng3, dom, Milan_Patel, Clarke, AnssiK, +1.858.750.aacc, nwidell, fjh
Present: +1.617.225.aaaa lgombos Josh_Soref bryan +49.173.537.aabb dcheng3 dom Milan_Patel Clarke AnssiK +1.858.750.aacc nwidell fjh Laszlo_Gombos Diana_Cheng
Agenda: http://www.w3.org/mid/1CB2E0B458B211478C85E11A404A2B270185C339@008-AM1MPN1-033.mgdnok.nokia.com
Found Date: 12 Dec 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/12/12-dap-minutes.html
People with action items: fjh

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]