Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

17 Oct 2012

See also: IRC log


Justin, Shadi, Luz, Annika, Christos, Silvia, Vivienne, Markku, Shawn, Markel, Simon
Klaus, Peter


TC and E2R updates

shawn: TC and E2R updates - crafting the symposium itself - talked about no rehashing papers - setting goals - not a review of paper themselves - maybe not authors to be asked questions - duration (perhaps longer than 2 hours) - looking for feedback

shadi: issues in the past - length of papers, perhaps go beyond 1000 words, and problems with html validity of html
... lets go with any one you would like to discuss

shawn: interested in input on running symposium itself - is it ok to not ask all authors questions or is the length long enough

vivienne: given authors have written a paper should they not be given an opp to answer questions?

shawn: shawn agrees - needs to be managed - perhaps let authors know ahead of time that they may not be able to answer questions - they can then choose not to participate if they do not want - some papers are on the same topics
... maybe find at least one relevant question per paper from this group

annika: another idea of how to involve the paper authors - ask people to ask questions about papers related to theirs

shawn: thinks its an excellent idea

annika: correction - ask authors to write questions - can it be longer than 2 hours - perhaps it is too long to go beyond 2 hours unless there can be a break

shawn: perhaps a 10 minute break

<Luz> Ten minutes should be fine.

annika: 10 minutes ok

vivienne: if you are going to take a break - for anyone in the southern hemisphere they might leave during a break

shawn: shawn agreed

<Luz> Good idea, Shadi :-)

shadi: shadi agrees with both anika and shawn, and that if a paper is not worth a question is it worth accepting in the first place - would like to play around to see if people would come back after a small break

shawn: if there is a specific sub-topic, it could be done after a break (after the main session)

<markel> agree with SAZ

shadi: careful not to treat papers as secondary (or who comes first then second)

christos: splitting the symposium over the break (essentially two sessions)

shadi: discussed the quality of papers - how are people responding to your calls - two of the revised papers submitted - 4 more said they would be submitting (1 said too busy) - some position papers and some research papers
... are people going beyond the 1000 word limit

shawn: at least one of the resubmitted papers said they had to go over 1000 words to address comments

shadi: concerned that papers not go too far beyond the 1000 word limit, not fair to others who stuck to limit

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to ask html

shadi: shadi concerned with quality of html - does not wish others to do the clean up

shawn: some html very good, some not so good - some authors know nothing about html - some even do word processor Save As approach - perhaps someone from this group could help them with their html

<shawn> Justin: I could get students to assist with that

<shadi> *wohooooo*

justin: offered student assistance with html

shadi: could simon record this as an issue after the symposium - perhaps provide a template for others

<sharper> ISSUE: HTML templates after the e2r symposia

<trackbot> Created ISSUE-3 - HTML templates after the e2r symposia ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/issues/3/edit .

<sharper> report from Klaus (in his absence)

shadi: no one here from easy to read - lets move on to next agenda item

<sharper> 1) We received 16 submissions + one in the wrong format which is bounced back by the system (not valid HTML). We asked to send a proper file but did not get it so far.

<sharper> 2) A frist screening showed that 15 are relevant for the topic; one seems to be a bid of topic. In any case we will have to decide how many papers we would like to include. Any recommendation from the group is welcome, even if we should run the the symposium with two dates.

<sharper> 3) Those who are involved in reviewing: Thanks and please remind the deadline (Friday 19)

<shawn> [ Shawn agrees not to have two teleconferences for e2r]

annika: thinks it is unfair splitting the symposium over two calls - unfair on authors ending up in the second call

Next Topic Candidate - "User Modelling"

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/User_modelling

simon: adds new topic of user_modelling, wants to have a longer conversation but Yehya was not here - qhat do people think of this user modelling topic

christos: we are having a number of systems which are trying to model the user, many other solutions from e-learning domain - every kind of system that comes out has its own user model - there is a bit of a problem with combining different model - there is a need to see if a standard model can be designed to capture all the different user modelling needs and frameworks - other issues include ethical issues of security and privacy - users mode[CUT]

<sharper> http://gpii.net/

christos: personal information which should not be exposed - this is what we want to discuss in the user modelling topic

<markel> I'm happy with the topic

simon: other projects we can get input from - is it a good thing to be doing for the next symposium

<Silvia> the topic is really interesting

shadi: very interesting topic, but 2 - 3 other topic candidates

simon: yes other candidates - just want to get some feedback on this topic before moving onto notifications and interruptions

<mhakkinen> http://www.diagramcenter.org

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/User_modelling

<shawn> mhakkinen is Markku (aka Mark)

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Smart_Images

mhakkinen: describes smart images project - images that carry along with them in-built descriptive information about the image that can be read by accessibility tools
... would be a good topic for a symposium to see who is doing work in this area and to use it to get input into the w3c work - ie go beyond longdesc

simon: might other people from european projects get involved

<markel> It comes to my mind the name of Leo Ferres and his papers of graph description

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Accessible_Maps

<markel> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1368044.1368053

<markel> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1296843.1296857

mhakkinen: will flesh out topic in wiki and happy to get other input

<shawn> sounds interesting

simon: does anyone else have any input regarding this topic

markel: perhaps we could ask leo ferres to get involved

simon: if he is still working in the field we could ask him

mhakkinen: once i have critical mass on the wiki will send a note out

shawn: think it is a very interesting topic - our lead time is a few months - and accessible maps should be included

simon: anyone else wish to comment

<markel> Enabling Access to Geo-referenced Information: Atlas.txt

<markel> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=1368044.1368066

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Accessible_Notifications

mhakkinen: the topic is accessible notification - consuming web content on multiple devices - manage interruptions from the devices - try shifting the burden of interruptions into the user agent itself - some existing literature - other domains deal wuith issue - 1) what can we do about managing interruptions - 2) how should notifications be authored, in terms of priorties and alerts - some work in US and Europe
... fleshing out the wiki on the topic

simon: does anyone wish to add something on this topic

shawn: really interesting - person pops to mind - hiroshi from japan

mhakkinen: works with hiroshi

simon: anyone else?
... asks mhakkinen to populate the topic and come back to these issues in a couple of weeks - perhaps place them in order - certainly the user modelling and maps/smart diagrams are good - the most far reaching is accessible alerts

vivienne: missed the last couple of calls - are we close to looking at topics for january

simon: these will jabuary/february time - these will be topics from 5 onwards - based on if the charter gets renewed from June next year

<shawn> Justin: Sylvia & I communicated by e-mail - just need to find the time to feed the wiki

vivienne: weren't we looking at something regarding e-learning

justin: sylvia and I will be working on it as soon as we can find time

simon: any more for this topic - time is moving on - will come back to this

Mobile Roadmap (10m)

simon: missing from note topic is roadmap - has been speaking with clayton lewis and others and will be interested in coming along to speak to us about mobile - judy brewer interested in discussing mobile roadmap - both this group and the experts from the field - any comments?

<markel> sounds great to have experts coming

simon: will arrange for the future and have topic sorted soon

Metrics W3C Note Status (5m)

<markel> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/conformance/comments-20120730

markel: editors agree on how they address the comments made against the papers - we are close to reaching agreement - next step is to accomplish changes and publish draft

simon: nice to see so many comments on the topic - were they sensible comments?

markel: some good comments, some out of scope - bit of everything but overall a good exercise

simon: any other business?

simon: will be at assets conference next week
... purchasing beers for all

shadi: we should meet next week - to continue the discussion on text customisation and easy to read and some potential topics for further input

simon: will re-do agena for next week

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/11/13 15:15:50 $