Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

03 Oct 2012


See also: IRC log


Frederick_Hirsch, Dzung_Tran, Colin_Courtney, Jungkee_Song, Clarke_Stevens, Rich_Tibbett, Alexander_Salas, Niklas_Widell, Cathy_Chan


<trackbot> Date: 03 October 2012

<scribe> ScribeNick: fjh

Welcome, agenda review, scribe selection, announcements

fjh: here is the information about publishing moratoria (week of 29 October, 14 Dec - 2 Jan) https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2012May/0000.html
... I've heard that one cannot publish further out from TPAC but could not find a notice on the chairs list

Minutes approval

Approve 26 Sept 2012 minutes: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/att-0131/minutes-2012-09-26.html

RESOLUTION: Minutes from 26 Sept 2012 are approved

"Network Service Discovery" - publish updated WD


fjh: I understand there is a draft ready to publish an updated WD despite ongoing discussion on the list

richt: correct, I think we should publish the improvements and continue the discussion on the list

fjh: I sent a message to the list asking if there was any concern with deciding on the call to publish, saw no concern raised
... it is a good idea to publish early and often, keep things current and make people aware of the latest work

proposed RESOLUTION: The DAP WG agrees to publish an updated WD of "Network Service Discovery", on 4 October 2012, see http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html

fjh: any object or concern with publishing an updated draft?

hear no objection

RESOLUTION: The DAP WG agrees to publish an updated WD of "Network Service Discovery", on 4 October 2012, see http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html

fjh: Thanks Rich for all your help with this

richt: thanks Cathy for the review

<scribe> ACTION: fjh to make publication request for Network Service Discovery [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/10/03-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-583 - Make publication request for Network Service Discovery [on Frederick Hirsch - due 2012-10-10].

nwidell: is the relationship or overlap with Web Intents addendum, a concern

richt: there is some difference in approach of the two, different scope, but will need time to clarify the relationship

nwidell: ok with specs going foward with different use cases, but do we need a note to clarify the difference

richt: need to figure out what to write

fjh: perhaps we should clarify on the home page
... these are different levels of the stack, Web Intents at a higher level allows user mediated service inclusion in a web page, network discovery at lower level of local services disccovery
... did I get this right

richt: yes
... we probably should avoid confusing things with more text but might want to clarify on the home page

<richt> richt: it probably makes sense to clarify the deliverables on the DAP home page or on the mailing list further.

nwidell: ok

fjh: could also clarify on w3 description page however not sure how much this is looked at
... please continue the discussion that is ongoing on the list, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Sep/0141.html

<richt> Network Service Discovery Working Draft has been prepared and uploaded at dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html

<richt> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/discovery-api/WD.html FYI

"Web Intents Addendum - Local Services" FPWD

FPWD publication in progress for 4 October 2012, https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/523263026147/wi-addendum-local-services/FPWD/FPWD.html

member only chairs list - https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/chairs/2012OctDec/0004.html

fjh: publication in progress, should be published tomorrow.

Pick Contacts Web Intent

CfC extended to 22 October - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0000.html

<Jungkee> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0002.html

jungkee: wish to discuss this on mailing list, ??? and filtering capability


fjh: it would be good to have list discussion before the F2F so we can resolve at the F2F

nwidell: were not extras already removed from Web Intents specification

fjh: yes

jungkee: the information can be put elsewhere to support the use case

junkgee: we will need to figure out what to do if we want to have this use case

fjh: we can now cleanly have various JSON key value pairs so should be able to have this information
... you had -1 to CfC since we need to filter not just receive entire contact

nwidell: yes, data minimization is important
... at a minimum need some ability to say what is wanted, to avoid always requesting all

fjh: please continue this on the list

Pick Media Intent

Demo posted, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0001.html

jungkee: this is the demo I showed at the last F2F

<Jungkee> http://jungkees.github.com/media-intent/

jungkee: put two services in this , flickr and youtube search with keywords
... try it out, demo to help move the spec forward
... "I would like to find some service and content provider who can volunteer to implement better reference services

fjh: we need to figure out how to reach out to non-WG members

jungkee: need to reach out via Web Intents, maybe Google can help

fjh: I note that your message went to the WebIntents list and TF chairs

jungkee: want to talk about metadata and service level protocol information
... need to integrate with other services

TPAC F2F planning

Deadline for TPAC registration is end of next week (well, 16 Oct), do not wait until end: http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/Overview.html#Registration

fjh: if you do not register by the deadline the daily fee goes up by a large amount

also, please complete WG questionnaire (before Friday this week) https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/dapf2ftpac2012/

fjh: please complete WG questionnaire if you have not, even if you do not plan to attend or if you plan to dial in

Draft agenda (updated) http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/wiki/F2F_Agenda_1-2_November_TPAC_Lyon_France

fjh: have updated draft agenda with breaks/lunch. Please review and comment on list if needed, otherwise we will work to this.
... also changed day start/end times so please look at it

Action review

close ACTION-580

<trackbot> ACTION-580 Extend CfC for removing search from Pick Contacts Intent closed


<trackbot> ACTION-581 -- Frederick Hirsch to follow up on converting shelved documents to Notes (possibly not published), addressing question of shortname for revised Rec document... -- due 2012-10-03 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/581

fjh: on approach plan to continue current approach, details outlined here: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0006.html
... all working drafts change during development, that is to be expected, but if we set one aside knowing it will change later, we need to be really clear with a note in the document
... we've done that for all but sensors, need to update that one
... also shelved calendar - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0008.html

close ACTION-581

<trackbot> ACTION-581 Follow up on converting shelved documents to Notes (possibly not published), addressing question of shortname for revised Rec document... closed

fjh: I have started following up with people on actions offline but have not completed doing so


<trackbot> ACTION-474 -- Adrian Bateman to make a proposal for Network Information API -- due 2012-10-15 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/474

fjh: Adrian indeed is working on this, still in progress

ACTION-474: Adrian indeed is working on this, still in progress

<trackbot> ACTION-474 Make a proposal for Network Information API notes added

<Jungkee> http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/NOTE-api-design-20121002/

Web API Design Cookbook has been published

close ACTION-568

<trackbot> ACTION-568 Work with Robin to move darobin to move API Cookbook to w3c space and prepare for publication as W3C FPWD NOTE closed

Other Business

fjh: no call next week, next call is 17 October, see schedule http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/minutes.html
... please review the F2F agenda and think how we can prepare to have a productive F2F. Any materials shared or issues raised on the list in advance would be very helpful.
... Please also continue list discussions on ongoing issues
... thanks


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: fjh to make publication request for Network Service Discovery [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/10/03-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.137 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/10/03 14:41:59 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s|Topic: "Web Intents Addendum - Local Services" FPWD||
FAILED: s/\?\?\?/startActivity/
Succeeded: s/I think so/yes/
Succeeded: s/importat/important/
Succeeded: s/ACTION-568//
Succeeded: s/Topic: Other Business//
Found ScribeNick: fjh
Inferring Scribes: fjh
Present: Frederick_Hirsch Dzung_Tran Colin_Courtney Jungkee_Song Clarke_Stevens Rich_Tibbett Alexander_Salas Niklas_Widell Cathy_Chan
Regrets: Josh_Soref
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2012Oct/0009.html
Found Date: 03 Oct 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/10/03-dap-minutes.html
People with action items: fjh

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]