Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

29 Aug 2012

See also: IRC log


Kerstin, Klaus, Shadi, Vivienne, Yehya, Justin, Markel, Luz, Simon, Christos
Shawn, Peter, Giorgio, Yeliz


TC Call Distribution Status

SH: for the text customisation symposium, KM, YY and VC have distributed the call

<Luz> Agree.

SH: we can say the call has been distributed

E2R CfP LAST CALL (25m) - http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Topic_4_pre-call

SAZ: one minor comment, we missed the W3C advisory committee, I'll add that to the wiki

SH: we agreed that the call should be sorted out for this week..so that we give time to authors

KM: the call has been updated..I'll focus on the CFP

SH: do we think this is suitable to be distributed?

KM: I'd like to add something…I'd like to postpone the deadline
... the proposal is (SAZ agrees) to put off one week the submission date

SH: the text customisation is already available

<Kerstin> agree

<klaus> +1

<vivienne> +1

SH: should we move back one week?

<Justin> +1

<Yehya> +1

<Luz> +1

+1 if it does not cause much pain

<sharper> +1

<shadi> (agree if chairs/reviewers can guarantee the remaining deadline)

<shadi> ;)

RESOLUTION: the call for text customisation will be postponed one week


RESOLUTION: the call and submission deadline for text customisation will be postponed one week

SAZ: the call has gone through some very good updates
... KM is worried about having two calls close to each other

<Luz> I agree.

VC: SAZ, do you mean you're gonna make editorial comments, and then send it as a CFP?

SAZ: that was my next question..

SH: do we want to release it tomorrow?

<Kerstin> klaus first

KM: if the call is not ready we should postpone not only the call but also the deadline for submission and maybe postpone the other deadlines which may entail that co-operation with text customisation can be hindered

<Kerstin> doesn't work, but agree with klaus

<Kerstin> :)

<vivienne> I agree with Klaus also

KM: do we think it is necessary to co-operate and co-ordinate with text customisation

<vivienne> +1

<shadi> +1 (this is the agreement)

<Kerstin> +1

SH: do we feel it is important that text customisation should be linked to E2R

<sharper> +1


<christos> +1

<Yehya> +1

<Luz> +1

<Justin> +1

SH: there is no option to deliver the CFP by the end of this week
... do we agree that we don't want to see the CFP again?

<Justin> +1 absolutely

<vivienne> Yes, I've already gone through an edit

SAZ: there were several, editorially significant changes although the conveyed meaning is the same

<vivienne> +1

SH: are we happy that the CFP is handled by the chairs in collaboration with whoever who want to help?


<Yehya> +1

<christos> +1

<Justin> +1

<sharper> +1

<vivienne> +1

<Luz> +1

RESOLUTION: the call for papers will not be seen again

SH: KM, when the call is ready, let me know so that we can distribute it

KM: yes, we'll do that and let you know

Metrics W3C Note Status (5m)

SAZ: we basically have set up from WAI perspective. Unfortunately the webmaster is unavailable tomorrow.

SH: it'll be fine next week
... I'll be happy if it is the 3rd of the 5th

<shadi> 30the September vs later?

SAZ: usually announcing alone does not get much comments. we need to make more promotion (personalised promotion)..maybe we need to extend the period

SH: do we think we will not need more time

<Luz> I think end of September is fine.

<shadi> MV: the sooner the better

<shadi> ...wouldn't delay this

SAZ: MV, would you be ready to fwd announcements to groups and send feedback

MV: sure


<Justin> so, friday 28th?

MV: do we know anything about the template for the symposium?

SAZ: which template are we talking about?

SH: is called RD symposium design

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/rd/home.html

SH: this will discussed in the coordination group

SAZ: we already have an agreement, SLH has been working on it…there might be some browser issues.. we want to use it for the following announcements


MV: will the previous symposia get this format?

SAZ: yes, it'll go backwards

SH: SLH made some comment about the mobile note
... PT, YY and SH have been editing..should be completed by the end of September…the coordination group and Judy may have some feedback on the roadmap

Next Topic Discussions (10m)

<shadi> http://www.hcii2013.org/

SAZ: with the metrics symposium we created a session in ICCHP by requesting papers from the symposium
... does the group think HCII is a good opportunity and the chairs will be willing to submit a position paper?
... the editors would be willing to submit a position paper

sorry i'm not able to find my app

<klaus> +1

<Luz> I don't know the congress, sorry.

<Kerstin> +1 usually, yes

<Luz> :-)

<Yehya> Yes, I think HCII is a good place for that

MV: the h-index may be harmed because the citations would be split up

SAZ: i'm not sure about such indexes
... the authors could point back to the symposium paper

SAZ: we see researchers not knowing about WAI activities
... the idea is to get the message out

<Justin> oops - my connection just dropped out

KM: providing an extension to the work submitted to the symposium somewhere else is a good opportunity

JB: we normally look at ACM and IEEE when doing research..when talking about this conference are we targeting the research community or somebody else?

SAZ: research community

JB: so we should strive to target proper venues

SAZ: we can discuss on some other time how to extend work done in our symposia and do not harm research metrics

Issues and Actions (Standing Item): https://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/tracker/

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Main_Page

Next Topic Discussions (10m)

SH: does anybody want to discuss possible future symposia?

SAZ: we have had some internal discussion W3Cwise about this…sth about the industrial value of accessibility…applied aspects of the selected topics
... one of things which is hot now is the 3D markup languages

SH: any other comments on what is interesting and on editing?

VC: it is very controversial now in Australia…auditing accessibility is a hot issue involving governments and industry

JB: I also think that auditing is interesting also authoring accessibility…I'd be interested in being involved...

SH: if you are volunteering to be editors please email me

SAZ: editing the wiki is a prerequisite
... please keep feeding it

SH: without editors there is no topic

<Justin> i will email you this week simon

<Justin> ok, the week after :)

SAZ: maybe next week we can discuss communication infrastructure issues

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/08/29 16:50:34 $