IRC log of html-media on 2012-08-28

Timestamps are in UTC.

15:37:33 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #html-media
15:37:33 [RRSAgent]
logging to
15:37:33 [joesteele]
… this would be to support formats that come later which do not have them
15:37:51 [joesteele]
paulc: can you give us a ptr to the most recent spec?
15:38:14 [joesteele]
johnsim: is the issue that some media might not require init set?
15:38:31 [joesteele]
acolwell: believe Mark wanted the optional text but cannot think of one today that has that
15:38:57 [joesteele]
15:39:17 [joesteele]
acolwell: Mark is copied on the bug
15:39:27 [joesteele]
paulc: assign an action item to Mark on this
15:39:44 [joesteele]
acolwell: Bob -- for Transport stream stuff you still have this right?
15:39:47 [joesteele]
BobLund: yes
15:40:29 [matt]
trackbot, status?
15:40:32 [joesteele]
ACTION: markw review the proposal in bug#18601
15:40:32 [trackbot]
Sorry, couldn't find user - markw
15:40:55 [paulc]
15:41:02 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #html-media
15:41:09 [joesteele]
paulc: next item
15:41:24 [joesteele]
acolwell: most of section 2 looks non-normative
15:41:41 [joesteele]
… suggested to mark the whole section as non-normative
15:42:06 [joesteele]
… I suggest changing to be normative instead
15:42:13 [markw]
markw has joined #html-media
15:42:23 [joesteele]
… should split bug into multiple sections to change to normative?
15:42:36 [joesteele]
… or keep as a single bug?
15:42:50 [joesteele]
paulc: there are 11 sub-sections
15:43:51 [joesteele]
paulc: what was original intent? descriptive text for reader and normative text for implementor?
15:44:07 [joesteele]
paulc: Aaron you are suggesting converting all the text to normative
15:44:09 [joesteele]
15:44:33 [joesteele]
paulc: would be better to move the normative stuff out of section 2?
15:44:39 [joesteele]
acolwell: not sure
15:44:43 [matt]
matt has joined #html-media
15:44:46 [markw]
there is a lot of material in section 2 that should be normative
15:44:56 [joesteele]
paulc: suggest you do one or two of these changes and come back to the group
15:45:29 [joesteele]
adrianba: lot of things that are normative in this section - should get an idea of what to do as we change it
15:45:29 [markw]
users of the API need to be sure how the different append cases will be handled, for example
15:46:02 [joesteele]
paulc: maybe change a couple of good examples on section 2 and come back to group with the examples as a proposal
15:46:53 [joesteele]
acolwell: some pieces are conceptual and some are more algorithmic - hard to see what is the right balance
15:47:13 [joesteele]
paulc: no problem with having both types, but make sure it is clear which is which
15:47:53 [joesteele]
ACTION: acolwell to give a couple of examples for section 2
15:47:53 [trackbot]
Created ACTION-6 - Give a couple of examples for section 2 [on Aaron Colwell - due 2012-09-04].
15:48:06 [joesteele]
paulc: moving on to next
15:48:12 [paulc]
15:48:31 [joesteele]
acolwell: wanted people to look at this bug and get feedback
15:48:44 [joesteele]
… on the behavior specified
15:49:35 [joesteele]
acolwell: would like someone with more experience with this type of edge case to respond
15:49:46 [joesteele]
paulc: anyone with this type of feedback?
15:50:03 [joesteele]
acolwell: live is probably the problem
15:50:16 [matt]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:50:16 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate matt
15:50:24 [joesteele]
johnsim: Aaron if you could send me an email with a synopsis I can look for an answer
15:50:26 [matt]
rrsagent, make minutes public
15:50:26 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'make minutes public', matt. Try /msg RRSAgent help
15:50:28 [matt]
rrsagent, make logs public
15:50:33 [matt]
rrsagent, make minutes public
15:50:33 [RRSAgent]
I'm logging. I don't understand 'make minutes public', matt. Try /msg RRSAgent help
15:50:35 [matt]
rrsagent, draft minutes
15:50:35 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate matt
15:51:01 [joesteele]
acolwell: Bob or Duncan could you chime in as well?
15:51:07 [Clarke]
I'll take a look also
15:51:24 [duncanr]
ok will look at it too
15:51:47 [joesteele]
acolwell: this was in reference to transport streams
15:51:56 [joesteele]
paulc: next item
15:52:05 [joesteele]
15:52:17 [paulc]
15:52:30 [joesteele]
acolwell: current spec says when you call end of stream can't add any more data
15:52:57 [joesteele]
… might be nice to append after this if a higher quality segment has been found later
15:53:19 [joesteele]
.. this bug lifts the restriction, if you append transitions back to open state
15:53:30 [joesteele]
… is this useful?
15:53:36 [joesteele]
paulc: any comments?
15:53:55 [joesteele]
paulc: next is bug#18709
15:54:02 [paulc]
15:54:19 [joesteele]
acolwell: adding a method to source buffer allowing you to flush data out of the source buffer
15:54:38 [joesteele]
… one of the ideas was to allow app more control over how much data buffered in user agent
15:54:56 [joesteele]
… also used to signal parts of timeline which ar enot important anymore
15:55:14 [paulc]
See response in
15:55:14 [joesteele]
s/ar enot/are not/
15:55:43 [joesteele]
???1: what is the assumed behavior if it can act on its own?
15:55:59 [acolwell]
15:56:27 [joesteele]
acolwell: basically the user agent can do what it needs with regard to releasing memory but tries to avoid stopping playback
15:57:13 [joesteele]
???1: allows app to give the UA a pass playback for a piece of content
15:57:26 [joesteele]
s/pass playback/pass on playback/
15:57:39 [joesteele]
acolwell: allows UA to not have to guess
15:57:51 [adrianba]
15:58:06 [markw]
markw has joined #html-media
15:58:11 [markw]
sometimes there are contractual restrictions on how much content can be buffered and this gives the application control of that
15:58:33 [joesteele]
acolwell: agreed with the comments from Phillip
15:59:24 [joesteele]
adrianba: think you said this allows app to be proscriptive, but earlier seemed like a hint and allowed the UA more information
15:59:29 [markw]
I think it should be prescriptive
15:59:45 [joesteele]
acolwell: it should be prescriptive
16:00:00 [joesteele]
adrianba: is this intended to be synchronous then?
16:00:17 [joesteele]
acolwell: intended to be like an overlap
16:00:39 [joesteele]
paulc: think that handles Aarons suggested list
16:01:03 [joesteele]
paulc: some of the other bugs may be processed by him as well since they will be covered by his other work
16:01:31 [joesteele]
acolwell: will keep attacking clarification bugs first and new features second
16:01:38 [joesteele]
paulc: lots of actions
16:01:48 [joesteele]
paulc: meet again on Sept 11th in two weeks
16:02:07 [joesteele]
paulc: scribe volunteers?
16:02:16 [matt]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:02:16 [Zakim]
sorry, matt, I don't know what conference this is
16:02:17 [Zakim]
On IRC I see markw, matt, Zakim, RRSAgent, trackbot, ddorwin, kstreeter, Clarke, Johnsim, BobLund, acolwell, paulc, adrianba, joesteele, pal, duncanr, Nixu, MikeSmith
16:02:35 [matt]
zakim, this is HTML_WG
16:02:35 [Zakim]
ok, matt; that matches HTML_WG()11:00AM
16:02:41 [matt]
zakim, who on the phone?
16:02:41 [Zakim]
I don't understand your question, matt.
16:02:44 [joesteele]
paulc: any other comments?
16:02:45 [matt]
zakim, who is on the phone?
16:02:45 [Zakim]
On the phone I see NiXu, pierre, joesteele, [Microsoft], acolwell, [Microsoft.a], Clarke, duncanr, ??P13, ??P3, markw
16:02:48 [Zakim]
16:02:55 [joesteele]
adrian will send matt the notes from this meeting
16:03:15 [joesteele]
paulc: meeting is adjounred
16:03:18 [Zakim]
16:03:20 [Zakim]
16:03:27 [Zakim]
16:03:45 [Zakim]
16:03:45 [matt]
zakim, drop me
16:03:46 [Zakim]
sorry, matt, I do not see a party named 'matt'
16:03:46 [Zakim]
16:03:47 [Zakim]
16:03:47 [Zakim]
16:03:49 [Zakim]
16:03:56 [Zakim]
16:04:12 [Zakim]
16:04:13 [Zakim]
HTML_WG()11:00AM has ended
16:04:13 [Zakim]
Attendees were NiXu, pierre, joesteele, Matt_Womer, [Microsoft], BobLund, acolwell, markw, +1.858.735.aaaa, Clarke, duncanr, ddorwin, Matt
16:55:26 [ddorwin]
ddorwin has joined #html-media
17:22:43 [matt]
rrsagent, draft minutes
17:22:43 [RRSAgent]
I have made the request to generate matt
18:06:30 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #html-media