HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

16 Aug 2012

See also: IRC log


Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Steve_Faulkner, Michael_Cooper, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Léonie_Watson, Judy_Brewer, Mike_Smith, Laura_Carlson
Mike Smith
Léonie Watson


<trackbot> Date: 16 August 2012

<MikeSmith> wow

<MikeSmith> buzzing noise

<Stevef> 41#

<scribe> scribe: Léonie Watson

Issue-31B (Sec. 4.8) Analysis Report

agenda+ text subteam report http://www.w3.org/2012/08/14-text-minutes.html

JB: Focus is on 204, and the fact there are issues that need to be cleared before we can focus on 30.
... I'll be writing a request to extend the August deadline for the issue 30 proposals.
... My understanding is that there may be a formal objection to issue 204.

JF: I've filed a formal objection.

RS: I haven't checked the current decision, but the lack of accessibility knowledge amongst the chairs continues to be a problem.

JB: It's something W3C management is becoming increasingly aware of.

RS: Will we discuss this decision on Monday's call?

JS: Yes.

RS: I met with advocacy groups within the Australian government, and there is a lot of concern about the handling of accessibility by the HTML WG.

JB: Feedback is always welcome.

JS: I'll have a draft proposal we can discuss on Monday.

JB: does anyone on the call have any objections to the points discussed?

RS: Will you be on the ARIA call on Monday Judy?

JB: That may not be possible, but Janina will be there as PF chair.

Issue-204 (ARIA and hidden elements), formal objection

MS: John has filed a formal objection.

JB: The subsequent discussion is at least partially useful, for example around the implementation that doesn't exist and can't therefore be tested.

<Stevef> which implementation?

JB: Plus some discussion around cursor behaviour and whether it would drop into a black hole.

RS: The frustration is having 20 years of experience, and having to argue with people who have little experience of accessibility at all.

JB: We have a co-chair who is involved in one of the alternate proposals, which also presents an interesting situation.

JF: Ben HL has made the point that ARIA allows some of the behaviours we're now pushing back against. Rich, could you look at his comments?

RS: This is another WG working on specifications under the remit of other WGs.

JF: Agreed, comments on ARIA need to be raised in the right place.

RS: W3C has processes. If there is an issue with ARIA it can be raised as we focus on 1.1.

JB: There are two things. One is comments about the ARIA spec, the other is comments made about ARIA in relation to this issue.

JF: The process is being hijacked. Meanwhile, we need to support each other with regards to this specific issue. Charles Pritchard has contributed some valuable input, which was welcome.

RS: It's going to be difficult to find time to review Ben's comments.

<Stevef> still works for yahoo as far as I know

text subteam report http://www.w3.org/2012/08/14-text-minutes.html

Issue-206 (alt exemption for generators), status

MS: I'm working on a change proposal, but it may not be done this week. There are already three CPs out there.
... Would like to reach agreement with Henry, one is UI behaviour of the validator, and the other is what the name should be. We don't yet have agreement about adding an attribute, never mind its name.

JS: On the HTML WG call last week someone asked whether it was nescessary to resolve the other proposals first.

MS: It'll depend on the call for concensus.

JB: The TF actively encourages the chairs to do this, not just put it forward as an option.

MS: I'll make that clear on the call today.

Issue-31b (guidance on alt text in the HTML5 spec)

JB: There was work nearly completed, but the ripples from the 204 discussion have had an impact so it's still in progress.
... The chairs requested the history thread, which they received.

TPAC registration - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0244.html

MS: At some point we'll need to look at our TPAC agenda.
... The chairs have been discussing how to provide a home for the CP that came from the responsive images CG. I'll post it to space belonging to the HTML WG.

JS: That's HTML.Next?

MS: I'm unclear on that myself.
... From the conversations I've had with the chairs, there is interest in making the HTML5 spec a stable spec.
... Features without browser implementation ought to be in HTML.Next. So adding a whole new feature seems unlikely in a stable spec.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/08/16 16:04:31 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Doe anyone/does anyone/
Succeeded: s/calllast/call last/
Succeeded: s/has had/have had/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: lwatson
Found Scribe: Léonie Watson
Default Present: Judy, John_Foliot, Rich, Laura_Carlson, Mike, Cooper, Janina_Sajka, Léonie_Watson, Steve_Faulkner
Present: Janina_Sajka John_Foliot Steve_Faulkner Michael_Cooper Rich_Schwerdtfeger Léonie_Watson Judy_Brewer Mike_Smith Laura_Carlson
Found Date: 16 Aug 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/08/16-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]