<trackbot> Date: 03 August 2012
<hbj> I'm muted
<scribe> Scribe: Sharron
Shawn: If you missed last week, please look at the minutes, especially the messaging about WCAG and ISO.
<hbj> me/ zakim, mute me
<shawn> Promoting Accessibility in Courses & training resource suite http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/wiki/Promoting_Accessibility_in_Courses
Shawn: We have the Training Resource Suite, hoping to wrap that up when Andrew is back from vacation, we can wrap that up and make it available to fall curriculum.
Sharron: I am happy to help.
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron to add ideas to promoting accessibility in courses wiki page related to promoting the training resources. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-192 - Add ideas to promoting accessibility in courses wiki page related to promoting the training resources. [on Sharron Rush - due 2012-08-10].
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron solicit help from Wayne and Jennifer for how to promote these materials. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-193 - Solicit help from Wayne and Jennifer for how to promote these materials. [on Sharron Rush - due 2012-08-10].
Suzette: What is the time period that we need support for this, Shawn?
Shawn: Well, soon as possible.
School year starts in September, but Andrew is on vacation and
so it may be extended.
... we need to make changes, have them approved.
<scribe> ACTION: Suzette to review and submit ideas for promoting when she is back in two weeks. Due 2012-09-06 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-194 - Review and submit ideas for promoting when she is back in two weeks. Due 2012-09-06 [on Suzette Keith - due 2012-08-10].
<shawn> ACTION-194 due 21 August 2012
<trackbot> ACTION-194 Review and submit ideas for promoting when she is back in two weeks. Due 2012-09-06 due date now 21 August 2012
<shawn> [ fyi, trackbot commands http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/irc
<scribe> ACTION: Vicki to review and submit ideas for promoting training resource materials [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-195 - to review and submit ideas for promoting training resource materials [on Vicki Menezes Miller - due 2012-08-10].
Shawn: We are trying to update
the messaging around mobile accessibility. First we must update
the mobile pages - both Overview and Shared Experince. Content
is relevant, but dates are 2008/09. So let's consider doing a
quick refresh and update the last revision date.
... anyone who can review this?
Vicki: I can.
<scribe> ACTION: Vicki to review and make recommendations for update to Mobile Accessibility pages [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action05]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-196 - Review and make recommendations for update to Mobile Accessibility pages [on Vicki Menezes Miller - due 2012-08-10].
Shawn: Thanks Vicki, I will put
you in touch with contacts who use the resources often and will
... Other aspect is to think about how to promote these Mobile Accessibility resources.
<shawn> subtopic: promotion in general
<shawn> Sharron: ro-doing AIR as "openAIR" online
<shawn> ... how to use WAI resources
Sharron: We might be able to promote WAI training resources as part of this Open AIR initiative in 2012/2013
Shawn: Yes, I think it would be useful.
Shawn: I have a draft. Would like
you to review it understanding that it is meant to be a regular
WAI landing page.
... overall, general comments?
Vicki: I would move Mobile and Accessibility Overlap up to straight after the "WAI Cover..." to be second H2 on the page.
<Sylvie> I'm ok
Helle: I am a little unsure of the title "Mobile and Accessibility Overlap" don't know exactly waht is meant.
Shawn: It leaves me feeling...
Helle: would have to read Mobile and Accessible Overlap more to understand
Vicki: I like the content of "Mobile/A11y Overlap." When we go into UAAG and such it may be too much detail.
Shawn: A swap in order as
suggested by Vicki was the original way I had it organized. I
switched it because WAI staff thought that if you followed the
links you would miss the additional material about how WAI is
addressing mobile overall.
... the title of the Overlap section is open for suggestion. Mobile accessiiblity is a buzzword, at least in our little pond that we may want to capitalize upon.
Vicki: I like the title and it rings for me - it is quite clear.
Helle: Perhaps it is a translation issue.
Shawn: I seem to remember that Overlap when we originally made these documents was avoided because of translation considerations.
Helle: I don't think the word overlap is my problem, but what does it mean in this context?
Shawn: But perhaps it can be
addressed by changing Accessible to Accessibility?
... Does that help Helle?
Helle: Yes I think so
... Can we have a section even in the intro that tells us that updates are coming?
Shawn: Yeh, let me try that.
Helle: The first part may be a bit long and wordy.
Shawn: (edits in wiki) Look at new version. Comments about something like that?
Helle: I don't know, maybe it could be a good thing at least until we get the updates made.
<Vicki> brb in 5 mins
Shadi; I was just wondering looking at "Covers" section. Is that word a bit too much? There may be gaps after all and perhaps "addresses" would be a more accurate word. Also we need to say that W3C ensures that accessibility is integrated into W3C technologies. That may be a core message as well.
Shawn: WAI ensures that core W3C technologies, including those that apply to the mobile web, support accessibility.
Shadi: Perhaps we should start
being less defensive. Go the longer route - first of all is the
support in the core technologies, nt listed separately.
... when we list WCAG and UAAG, we should list ATAG as well. Strategically it is good to remind developers that tools should support accessibility in the tools used to development mobile as well.
Shawn: What do others think? Do
we need to focus or be broader in our reference?
... I purposely did not give background about wh this is meant for in order to read out of context.
Suzette: I recently gave a talk to a group hosting a contest for mobile apps and I felt that there were resoruces I needed to point them to. Could we split the paragraph? Refer to UAAG and WCAG in existing reosurces and refer to ATAG as we look to what is coming, what we are working on?
Shawn: Between the two
... the issue is that WCAG2 is done, the others are in development.
... (edits in wiki) comments about edits?
<shadi> [[ATAG (Authoring Tool Accessibility Guidelines) covers content management systems, editors and other 'authoring tools', including those for developing mobile content. For information on ATAG, see the _ATAG Overview_]]
Suzette: Newbies just coming here looking for mobile resources, need to be made aware at least once here and can ignore it after.
Shadi: ATAG is already applicable to mobile - does not need any additional content to be mobile relevant. What is needed is for the developer tool makers to be aware that they can create tools that support accessibility.
Suzette: My hope is that the doucments coming from the Mobile Symposium will be very important.
Shawn: Since we don't even have a
draft of that work, I hesitate to promote it widely.
... should we add the date to show recent activity?
Vicki: Yes it is good to have the date, showing that the report will be based on very recent thinking and work.
<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to ask about overall approach
Shadi: I'd rather not mention
those resources, or keep the profile very low, until we have
the report. In fact ti will be primarily geared to researchers
... is this meant to be a position paper, a reource guide, an invitation to participation? We need people to contribute techniques for example. Is that a goal of this document?
Shawn: I think at some point we may actively call on people who may want to work on techniques but may be premature for now.
Shawn: Related to the
introductions to web accessibility. There is one from 2005 from
old WAI site, there is a page on W3C site focused on
developers, and then we have the WebEd intro.
... based on initial discussion, we have proposed to replace the intro on WAI site with the current content from W3C site.
... questions are Do we want to replicate the exact same content? are there points or content from exisitng WAI intro that we would want to include?
Sharron: need to review
Vicki: I seem to prefer the older version, but need to look at detail.
Helle: Me too, I was looking at the content on the main W3C pages, and following links. The transcription services may be appropriate for WAI pages.
Shawn: I will look at that with you later Hell, it is a bit of a fine point. For now, let's just say we can't make a decision on this today and will get input over the next few days. Who can do this?
Helle: I will try.
Vicki: I will try as well by early next week
<scribe> ACTION: Helle to review and comment on three Accessibility Intro versions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action06]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-197 - Review and comment on three Accessibility Intro versions [on Helle Bjarnø - due 2012-08-10].
<scribe> ACTION: Vicki to review and comment on three Accessibility Intro versions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action07]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-198 - Review and comment on three Accessibility Intro versions [on Vicki Menezes Miller - due 2012-08-10].
<scribe> ACTION: Sharron to review and comment on three Accessibility Intro versions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html#action08]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-199 - Review and comment on three Accessibility Intro versions [on Sharron Rush - due 2012-08-10].
Shawn: Since we have pointed to others, there is some discomfort with pointing other than the WAI site, so please keep that in mind.
Helle: In the wiki?
Shawn: Yes, under the first section - document updates, forth section is Intro... approaches, etc.
Helle: Good, thanks
<shawn> TPAC Registration (EOWG meeting Thursday & Friday, plenary on Wednesday, Eval TF meeting Mon & Tue) - http://www.w3.org/2012/10/TPAC/#Registration
Shawn: TPAC is end of October,
first of November. EO is meeting on Th and Fr. On Monday and
Tuesday the Eval Task Force is meeting and we would have
interesting overlap. If you are able to come all week, it will
be useful. But come as much as you can.
... if you need letters of statements for the extra work, extra days let us know.
... Shadi and I will confirm how likely it is to work with them on those days.
Helle: Maybe only work with them on Tuesday?
Shadi: I will work with Eric and the group and get back to EO. Will also need to know how many to be sure we have room enough.
<shawn> 1. likey to come for Thur & Fri?
Shawn: 1. How likely are you to come on Thursday and friday 2. How likely for Monday and Tuesday?
<shawn> 2. likely to come for Tuesday?
<Vicki> thurs + friday = yes. tues = not too sure, wed= possibly
Helle: If they me go, it won't be
a matter of how many days.
... if they let me go at all, the days won't be an issue.
<shawn> Availability for Upcoming EOWG Teleconferences http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35532/availability/
<shawn> Actin items -- http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/track/actions/open?sort=owner
Shawn: Also remember to update attendence. Next week we will be diligent about catching up on Action Item status. Anything more for this week? If we end early, please review the Intros and put comments about them in wiki. Other action items as well. Use the next few minutes saved from the meeting to do that. o
<Vicki> wow. take good care, sharon, dear! so glad that you are okay and feeling much better.
trackbot, end meeting
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136 of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/secone/second/ Succeeded: s/Helle: would have to read more to understand/Helle: would have to read Mobile and Accessible Overlap more to understand/ Succeeded: s/ becasue/ because/ Succeeded: s/ think/ was looking at/ Found Scribe: Sharron Inferring ScribeNick: Sharron Default Present: Shawn, +45.41.73.aaaa, hbj, Sylvie_Duchateau, Sharron, Suzette, Vicki, Shadi Present: Shawn +45.41.73.aaaa hbj Sylvie_Duchateau Sharron Suzette Vicki Shadi Found Date: 03 Aug 2012 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/08/03-eo-minutes.html People with action items: for from helle help how jennifer sharron solicit suzette vicki wayne[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]