HTML Weekly Teleconference

26 Jul 2012


Paul, Sam, Glenn, plh, Jay, Janina, Eliot, Matthew, Ted, Laura


Action items


New issues


Items that closed last week


<trackbot> ISSUE-199 -- Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199

Paul: we have a WG decision later in the agenda


<trackbot> ISSUE-200 -- Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

Paul: now in Chairs hands


<trackbot> ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be coordinated with IETF -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

Paul: now in Chairs hands

Items Closing This Week


<trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

Paul: we sent a request to update proposals by Jul 24
... and we received multiple requests for extension, while adsorbing the decision on issue 205

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0178.html

<rubys> extension was granted to August 3 by mjs

Paul: so it's on hold until the Chairs see the reaction
... apologizes to Silvia for spelling her name wrong in the announcement btw


<trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

Paul: this one is closing today


<trackbot> ISSUE-183 -- Enhance and simplify the time element -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

Paul: CfC closes tomorrow
... no responses so far


<trackbot> ISSUE-206 -- Should HTML5 have a meta generator exception to the alt requirement? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/206

Paul: Call for counter proposals closes on July 27
... and Ted is interested in writing one

Items Closing Next Week


New Calls this Week


New Surveys this week


Decisions this week

Paul: we have one on issue 199
... see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0122.html

Task Force Reports

Paul: written report from Kris on test suite tf
... see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JulSep/0014.html
... next is a11 tf report

Janina: 205, sorry about the delay. we're looking into it. not clear we'll ask for reconsideration
... some statements in the decision that people may want to respond in the record
... might come back in that question in html.next
... we agreed to answer by august 3rd
... we're moving forward on most of the remaining issues
... where are we on 204 and 201?

Paul: hold on for those twos. later in the agenda

Janina: also trying to figure the implementations for HTML for A11y api
... no report ready for wider review yet

Paul: next one is the media group sub-group
... we're meeting every Tuesday, alternating the proposals
... both of the original submission are being changed substantial to use a more OO approach
... taking longer than expected
... by the end of august, we'll have new revisions
... and get to some of the other bugs, which are on hold at the moment
... objectives is to bring the proposals back to the WG and possibly as first FPWD
... next week is Media Source Extensions
... see public-html-media@w3.org
... some indication from a11y experts that there might be some issues
... cf f2f discussions

Other Business

Paul: Proposed adaptive image element
... email thread starts at http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0123.html
... and a bug in https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=18384
... there seems to be interest in this feature, and whether it belongs to HTML5 or HTML.next

plh: concerned about the time it will take to close on it. safer to put it in HTML5

Paul: one of the co-chairs suggested filing a bug and we have one now

Matthew: putting this off to HTML.next is problematic
... we could resolve issues quickly

<paulc> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html

Paul: agreed. maybe we need a very concrete proposal, written as an editor's draft
... and start having a technical discussion
... I'll like to encourage the CG to do the editor's draft, then submit it
... possibly opening a new component in bugzilla
... get something in the mercurial space that correctly reflects the sentiment of the CG

Ted: seems they should drive it to FSA

Paul: agreed, but we could start the technical discussion going while the CG does the FSA step
... I'm happy to help on this
... I do believe that we should drive it like the media extensions

Matthew: agreed
... what about having implementations?

Paul: you could but we might change the proposal later on

Matthew: we do have active interest from IE and Adobe on this

<scribe> ACTION: Paul to work with Matthew to get an editor's draft submitted to the WG for proposed adaptive image element [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/07/26-html-wg-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-220 - Work with Matthew to get an editor's draft submitted to the WG for proposed adaptive image element [on Paul Cotton - due 2012-08-02].

Matthew: I resubmitted this to the WHATWG, what does this mean for this process?

Paul: we'll follow up offline


<trackbot> ISSUE-195 -- Enhance http request generation from forms -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/195

Paul: it seems we're ready for survey here

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0207.html

Sam: Cameron wants until the end of next week to see if it's ready for survey


<trackbot> ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

Paul: some of the CP authors met on Tuesday and came up with a merged proposal
... Steve has been working on it
... Frank and Ted need to look at it

Ted: will look into it by end of day tomorrow

Janina: thanks for the update


<trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

Paul: some discussion going on here

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0209.html

Ted: I removed the paragraph

Sam: I believe this is ready for survey

Paul: ok, so this is ready for survey. Expect one for 204 to go out eminently

Janina: thanks for correcting the proposal. I'm happy with it


<trackbot> ISSUE-164 -- remove or modify hgroup -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/164

Paul: I sent out 5 reviews earlier this week.
... we have responses on 3 emails
... 2 of them by August 3rd
... one of them will not be updated
... so on hold until August 3rd
... we'll continue to follow up
... and decide what to do with the CP that won't be updated by the author
... next one is the charter revision
... plh sent an update

plh: it's in the hands of W3C management, then will go to the AC
... expect approval by end of September

<paulc> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0183.html

Paul: we had the editors announcement yesterday
... we announced four individuals
... and we keep looking at the Canvas2D editors
... we'll get the editors on board and work through the backlog
... thank you to all applicants
... W3C has sponsorship for editorial position
... and the team and chairs are evaluating candidates

Scribe for next meeting

Paul: it's Sam turn next week

Glenn: I'll scribe next week


Summary of Action Items

Action Items [NEW] ACTION: Paul to work with Matthew to get an editor's draft submitted to the WG for proposed adaptive image element [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/07/26-html-wg-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/07/27 18:14:02 $