HTML Weekly Teleconference

19 Jul 2012


See also: IRC log


yang, Sam, hober, glenn, ddorwin, paulc, Plh, Mike, [Microsoft], eliot, Janina, Laura_Carlson


<trackbot> Date: 19 July 2012

<rubys> ScribeNick: hober

<paulc> Good morning Sam

Action items due by Thursday, July 19

paulc: there are none

New Issues This Week

paulc: there are none
... There is 1 tracker request


Items Closed Last Week

paulc: there are none

Items Closing This Week


<trackbot> ISSUE-199 -- Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/199


<discussion of problems with the w3c email archives>

<paulc> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0092.html

CfC sent out 9 July; no replies

<rubys> +1

paulc: imminent close of ISSUE-199 accepting remaining CP


<trackbot> ISSUE-200 -- Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/200

Straw Poll for Objections closes Jul 19


paulc: I encourage WG members to reply to the survey if they have additional information to supply

yang: question about <legend> issue
... could we combine the <legend> and <caption> element into one?

paulc: survey only covers change proposals on the table
... there was a lot of talk about this in the past; i recommend you review the history of the issue before filing a new bug


<trackbot> ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be coordinated with IETF -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

Straw Poll for Objections closes today

paulc: received request to stop the poll (to wait for ietf); we declined
... going forward. if the ietf makes a decision we'll revisit at that time
... survey closes today

Items Closing Next Week


<trackbot> ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions associated to the element -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203

Call for Consensus extension closes Jul 27



<trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

Straw Poll for Objections closes Jul 26


paulc: we negotiated an extension for the ISSUE-203 survey

New Calls this week

paulc: there are none

New Surveys this week


<trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

paulc: received a request from laura to suspend this poll so that issue-194 comes after issue-30

<paulc> Paul's response: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0115.html

paulc: i respond this morning on behalf of the chairs
... i have not yet processed laura's subsequent response
... i will take up her question with my co-chairs

<rubys> I do believe that the decision on 194 will not have an effect on 30

<paulc> Laura's response: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0116.html

Decisions this week


<trackbot> ISSUE-184 -- Add a data element -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

WG Decision: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0095.html

paulc: chairs prioritized 184 because it was blocking 183
... decision was to not include a type system for the <data> element

<paulc> CP endorsed: http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Tantekelik/data_element

paulc: this will go into the queue of edits to be made by the new editors


<trackbot> ISSUE-205 -- Define what author guidance and/or methods should be provided to those that wish to create accessible text editors using canvas as a rendering surface. -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/205

WG Decision: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0101.html

<paulc> CP endorsed: http://www.w3.org/wiki/No_edit_change_proposal_for_canvas_text_editing

paulc: the accepted proposal requires no changes to the spec
... this will be closed out as well
... questions?

rubys: 184 was a no-change proposal

Other Business


<trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

paulc: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0102.html
... asking rich & frank if they have any other changes they want to make for their CPs, given the 205 decision

frankolivier: i don't have any changes to my proposal


<trackbot> ISSUE-151 -- Remove WhatWG and html5.org references in status section of document -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/151


paulc: doesn't require any action from the WG; the chairs will delay 151 until new editors are appointed & new charter finalized
... about text in status section that refers to the whatwg
... will take this up at the end of the next last call
... if you have concerns, reply to message 0091


<trackbot> ISSUE-183 -- Enhance and simplify the time element -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

paulc: was blocked by 184

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0103.html and http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0105.html

paulc: cameron is withdrawing his proposal
... leaves just one proposal standing
... we expect an immanent CfC on the remaining proposal for 183


<trackbot> ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201


paulc: asking for input from CP authors (rich, charles, ted, steve, frank)
... asking for any further changes; some outstanding questions

<paulc> Rich's questions: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jul/0040.html

paulc: discussed this this morning on the a11y tf call
... trying to arrange a meeting next tuesday
... frank and ted have been invited

<paulc> See request: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2012Jul/0013.html

paulc: chairs are trying to get all the cp proponents together
... should the two proposals remain as-is, or can we find more consensus between them
... use of lightweight objects is main remaining area of disagreement


<trackbot> ISSUE-203 -- All Media Elements should have the ability to have both short and longer textual descriptions associated to the element -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/203


paulc: asking ted if he'd finished making edits
... answered positively
... depends on the processing order of ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30, and ISSUE-203


<trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204


paulc: chairs have identified the two remaining proposals
... trying to determine if they're ready for survey
... deadline today for feedback

hober: i'll reply to john's questions today

janina: will ted be available later this afternoon

hober: earlier pdt is better

ISSUE-204, ISSUE-30 and ISSUE-203 processing order


paulc: chairs believe there is a dependency order here
... will move onto issue-30 once we finish issue-204
... then on to 203
... wg participants have been asking about timetable
... like 184/183, and 205/131
... the chairs, after making a decision, will try to determine if there is a cascading effect
... will give CP authors an opportunity to update proposals based on decisions made
... chairs will not lock down specific schedule
... because of people's different workloads, schedules, etc.

<Zakim> plh, you wanted to discuss a question on 201

plh: question for frank: was your proposal merged with ted's?

frankolivier: ted updated his proposal; i'm happy with that

paulc: please reply on-list; will see if we can find more common ground next week

Scribe for next week

<glenn> i can scribe

paulc: i'm chairing next week as well

plh: i can scribe


paulc: we are adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/07/19 16:34:24 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: hober
Inferring Scribes: hober
Default Present: yang, Sam, hober, glenn, ddorwin, paulc, Plh, Mike, [Microsoft], eliot, Janina, Laura_Carlson
Present: yang Sam hober glenn ddorwin paulc Plh Mike [Microsoft] eliot Janina Laura_Carlson
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JulSep/0011.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 19 Jul 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/07/19-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]