HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

28 Jun 2012


See also: IRC log


Mike_Smith, Janina_Sajka, Judy_Brewer, John_Foliot, Léonie_Watson, Steve_Faulkner, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Cynthia_Shelley, Michael, Cooper
Léonie Watson


<trackbot> Date: 28 June 2012

<scribe> scribe: Léonie Watson

<scribe> scribenick: LeonieW

<janina> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 28 June 2012

<Stevef> me

Status updates on issues 194, 199, 201, 204

MS: Issue 194.

JS: We have a resolution call scheduled for tomorrow. We hope John, Chaales, Eric, Ted and myself will be on the call.

<MikeSmith> phone meeting on Friday including Eric, Ted, Chaals, Silvia

JS: We're still trying to get to a single proposal.

JF: After looking at different solutions, we've arrived back at @transcript pointing to a URL. There isn't consensus on that though.

JS: We'll use #media for the call.

<MikeSmith> Michael Cooper: we've agreed on the basic proposal and are at the stage of "dotting i's and crossing t's".

MS: Issue 199.

MC: We have agreement on the substance. Ted would like some wording changes.
... I think Ted is the best person to make any further word changes to it.

JS: It would be good for the WG to resolve this.

MS: Issue 201.

RS: The heavier work was pushed off to HTML.next and we've ended up with essentially what we had from the TF.

JS: Is the proposal fully formed?

RS: It needs some tweaking by Frank.

JS: Is there anything left from the split from 131?

RS: We have the CP from December. We had a straw poll, and I haven't heard what the results were.
... Unless it's voted out, we can't really say you can't do rich text editing. Do we know when the vote is?

MS: I can look into it. Not sure there is a date.
... Issue 204

<MikeSmith> latest message from John Foliot about issue 204

JF: There is a version 4 of the proposal. The proposal says that if the UA exposes the content so that all users can interact with it, authors can use aria-bdescribedby

MS: Issue 205.

JS: We're waiting for chairs' decision.

new issue 206 for meta generator counter-proposals

<JF> latest Issue 204 CP (V4): http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Correct_Hidden_Attribute_Section_v4

<janina> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/206

<Judy> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/Issue31cMetaGeneratorUpdated

JB: It has been re-opened and I want to draw people's attention to the proposal.
... The chairs will look for counter proposals on this now.

JS: For how long will counter proposals be sought?

JF: Until 27th July.
... Maciej's original note to the list was confusing. It cited a counter proposal deadline of March 21st 2011. He later corrected the date.

JB: We should ask the TF for consensus on the proposal.

<JF> +1

JB: Would a week be reasonable?

JS: We could time a 48 hour call to complete before next week's call.

JB: Please do.

<JF> JB: perhaps take this to PF as well?

<JF> JS: PF not meeting next week, but can take it forward

Current alt guidance in section 4.8 of the spec

<JF> JS: did not discuss this on this weeks call, but discussed in previous week

<JF> there are some proposed changes that David M needs to address, but there seems to be less pressing

<JF> Chairs suggesting thta we take this up with the next editor (Once determined)

<JF> need to ensure that there is no inflamitory language, and stick to the facts

<JF> goal is section 4.8 of the HTML5 spec, which is at odds with WCAG

<JF> and also with steve's alt guidance note

MS: The chairs have suggested we file bugs for whatever we think is wrong.

<JF> so hoping to point to Steve's note as the normative text, and also to go point-by-point to file bugs on specific language in the current spec

<JF> MS: this is a reasonable approach - 1 we disagree with the language and want that section dropped, but also taking the individual bug approach

<JF> however we likely also need to open an issue on fingersthis

JS: Whatever text is inserted should read smoothly. It's for informational purposes.

MS: Don't think the timing is great for opening a spec bug.

JS: It would be helpful if the editor was part of it.

MS: We'll keep it on the agenda.

Text subteam report

<JF> point-by-point response to Ted's analysis: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Jun/0132.html

JS: We have version 4 of the proposal. as discussed.

MS: Is there anything we need to do on this?

JS: No, not at the moment.

ARIA mappings subteam report

CS: We didn't meet this week. We'll be meeting the week after next. Things are moving along, but slowly.

Bug triage subteam report

LW: We're continuing to monitor new bugs, mostly through email. Nothing to bring to the TF so far.

Other Business

<JF> Cyns and Janina: public-cssacc archives: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cssacc/2012Jun/thread.html

JF: Issue 203. Some clarity on how th eprocess will be handled would be appreciated.

MS: We need to make it known to the chairs that their decision to reopen the issue after it was closed through amicable resolution means this shouldn't be a priority for Ted.

<richardschwerdtfe> time check

<richardschwerdtfe> on the hour

JS: In the CP for 203, is issue 30 mentioned?

JF: Yes.

JS: So issue 203 is gated on issue 30.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/06/28 16:09:57 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/ntoe/note/
Succeeded: s/ / fingers/
Found Scribe: Léonie Watson
Found ScribeNick: LeonieW
Present: Mike_Smith Janina_Sajka Judy_Brewer John_Foliot Léonie_Watson Steve_Faulkner Rich_Schwerdtfeger Cynthia_Shelley Michael Cooper
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2012Jun/0135.html
Found Date: 28 Jun 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/06/28-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]