Web Events WG Voice Conference

12 Jun 2012


See also: IRC log


Art_Barstow, Cathy_Chan, Doug_Schepers, Scott_González, Rick_Byers, Sangwhan_Moon, Matt_Brubeck


<scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

<scribe> Scribe: Art

Date: 12 June 2012

Tweak Agenda

AB: I posted a draft agenda yesterday http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0008.html. Any change requests?


AB: any short announcements for today? The only one I had is that the IndieUI WG has finally started http://www.w3.org/2012/05/indie-ui-charter and we will talk about its Task Force with WebEvents WG during today's meeting.
... any other announcements?

RB: I work for Google

… lead a team here

… one item is adding touch to Chrome

… and want to do it in a standard way

… would be best if the TE spec was already a Recommendation

… would like to add semantics on top of the Touch API

AB: thanks Rick and welcome to the group

Update on Touch Events PAG

AB: The Touch Events PAG http://www.w3.org/2012/01/touch-pag-charter had a call last week for the first time since April https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-te-pag/.
... the set of disclosures http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/45559/status#current-disclosures is one patent and five patent applications, all from Apple.
... the PAG's discussions are all Member confidential.

DS: WGs do not discuss specific patents

… and we will not do so today

… PAGs, however, are the right place to discuss patents

… PAGs look at the disclosed patents and/or patent applications

… and ultimately, the PAG makes a recommendation to the WG on what to do next

… Among the possible recommendations are: proceed with the spec as is, change the spec, stop the work, etc.

[ Art and Doug summarized the Member-confidential discussions of the PAG … ]

<sangwhan> https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7479257/pointevents_strawman.txt

Status of IndieUI Task Force

AB: as previously announced (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0001.html), the IndieUI Task Force (TF) http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF had its first call on June 6 http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html.
... the IndieUI WG is under the Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI). AFAIU, it is the first WG within WAI to do its technical work in Public.
... as described in the IndieUI WG's charter http://www.w3.org/2012/05/indie-ui-charter#deliverables, a joint WG TF is used to make provide flexibility for Members that may have some IP/patents in this area.
... anyone in the WebEvents WG may participate in this TF but you have to ask Doug to register you. I agreed to do some "recruiting" within this WG so please consider joining this TF and telling other people about it. I think the work is going to be very interesting and useful.
... the TF will work on two specs: 1) IndieUI User Events; 2) IndieUI User Context. Based on discussion during the TF's June 6 call, my expectation is that at least Apple will provide input(s) for the User Events spec and that at least IBM will provide inputs for the User Context.
... any questions, comments, concerns, etc. re this TF?
... I want to push the TF to make Calls for Input for the 2 specs
... any questions, comments, concerns, etc. re this TF?

SM: I don't think there are enough browser vendors participating

DS: yes, I can understand that concern

… but Apple is of course a browser vendor

… I think people familiar with API design and implementation would be welcome in the TF

RB: I am interested

… but not sure on the time commitment

… A11Y is important to us

… If can do something like "capture the semantics of zooming"

… then I'd be very interested

… and could help get an implementation into Webkit and Chrome

… Gestures like rotate are important too

… We need standards for this

AB: I think Doug and I have an ongoing action to keep the WebEvents WG up to date on the status of the TF

RB: theres' a lot of stuff that could be done in this area

… so some prioritization work needs to be done

AB: agree

… and I think the TF already had some discusssion about the need for UCs and Requirements

DS: good point

… it needs to get on the agenda for a TF call

… as that will help with the prioritization

… We will get to UCs and Reqs in an upcoming TF meeting

AB: yes, that's an important task for Doug and I to push

… Sangwhan, I agree with the concern about browser vendors

DS: remember, one can join the TF and lurk

… Since there are Joint deliverables, if IndieUI specs are important, it makes sense to join the TF

RB: thanks for the feedback on the participation

… I was concerned about overcommitment

DS: I don't think that will be a problem

… Do you agree Art?

AB: yes

RB: I was concerned about the Good Standing requirement

DS: I will push back about the GS requirement

AB: I have already pushed back about the GS requirement

<mbrubeck1> Also, if you are going to miss a telcon (or have just missed one) you can send regrets by email instead.

AB: do you know Matt if Mozilla is interested in IndieUI?

MB: yes, there is interest

DS: we would love to have implementers involved

AB: +1 to what Doug said

CC: is Microsoft a member of the IndieUI WG?

AB: no, not at the moment


AB: then next call will be when there is a need for a meeting
... anything else for today?

RB: has there been discussion about what a browser should do to emulate a touch?

MB: we talked about that a little

… there is a little non-normative info about that

… and deliberately vague until implementers can give us something more concrete to say

RB: I don't think we have enough data either

… but will be difficult to write apps to handle mouse and touch events

MB: we do have some info in the spec about the start and stop events

RB: we have some apps that break when touch and mouse events are used together

… RIM uses a meta tag to help with this problem

SM: think moving to a unified event model makes sense

SG: agree we need to move to a unified event model

DS: yes, moving to something like Msft's pointer model may be good

… or to see what Sangwhan has specified

RB: so, it's good to see this is in scope for the WebEvents WG

DS: good to have more implementers

MB: yes, and getting someone from Android browser would be good too

RB: I can try to find the right person

SM: if anyone has comments on my proposal or the Msft pointer model, that would be great
... fyi, Anders_Höckersten left Opera

AB: meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/06/12 16:10:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/any browser vendors/enough browser vendors/
Succeeded: s/zoom/zooming/
Succeeded: s/Bruebeck/Brubeck/
Succeeded: s/should to/should do to/
Found ScribeNick: ArtB
Found Scribe: Art
Default Present: +1.717.578.aaaa, +1.519.513.aabb, +358.718.00aacc, Doug_Schepers, +358.718.00aadd, +1.206.792.aaee, Matt_Brubeck
Present: Art_Barstow Cathy_Chan Doug_Schepers Scott_González Rick_Byers Sangwhan_Moon Matt_Brubeck
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0008.html
Found Date: 12 Jun 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/06/12-webevents-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]