12 Apr 2012





<CIA-1> validator: 03Michael[tm] Smith <mike@w3.org> * d6e8991f4c34 r435 10validator/schema/svg11/svg-font.rnc:

<CIA-1> validator: Make <svg><font> not cause NullPointerException.

<CIA-1> validator: b=917

<nesta_> good day! :)

<MikeSmith> issue-189?

<trackbot> ISSUE-189 -- Prefix convention needs to be coordinated with IETF -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/189

<hober> MikeSmith: thanks for that email re: ISSUE-189

<MikeSmith> yup

<tantek> greetings

<MikeSmith> tantek, hola

<tantek> scribe, I'm only on IRC for this meeting

<tantek> hi MikeSmith

<paulc> havng trouble calling in

<scribe> scribenick: rubys

ACTION items due by Thursday, April 12

paulc: there are none

New Issues This Week

paulc: there are no new issues, and there still is one tracker request

Items Closed Last Week


<trackbot> ISSUE-194 -- Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/194

paulc: we have two proposals in hand, and the chairs are now due to review those


<trackbot> ISSUE-148 -- Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/148

paulc: survey closed on April 6, Sam temporarily reopened it to allow a late comment, and there still is some dialog going on

<paulc> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0051.html

paulc: the chairs will have to decide how to handle this message; we may reopen the survey temporarily to allow this to be added
... any comments?

Items Closing This Week


<trackbot> ISSUE-184 -- Add a data element -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/184

paulc: CfC closed last night
... I don't see any objections
... I'm expecting that a decision will be issued fairly quickly


<trackbot> ISSUE-198 -- Ensure innerHTML and related APIs are subject to the W3C patent policy -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/198

paulc: there has been some debate. The chairs may reissue the CfC


<trackbot> ISSUE-201 -- Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/201

paulc: closed yesterday, we received the counter proposals; the chairs will hold off any actions until the F2F in May
... this was a request from the a11y TF, and is a reasonable request


<trackbot> ISSUE-183 -- Enhance and simplify the time element -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/183

paulc: closes tomorrow
... are any of the authors on the call?

rubys: Cameron posted his change recently


<paulc> http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Cjones/ISSUE-183

paulc: that would put this back into the chairs queue to reevaluate

Items Closing Next Week


<trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

paulc: the A11y TF is actively working this issue

New Calls this week

paulc: there are none

New Surveys this week

paulc: there are none

Decisions this week

paulc: there are none

Other Business

CfC: Create Media Task Force http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0007.html

paulc: we got a request to extend this by a week; I've extended this consensus to next wednesday

<Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to talk about IRI WG ticket related to issue 189

Call for agenda topics for May face-to-face meeting http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Apr/0006.html

paulc: we already have one suggestion
... we currently have 30 people registered for the HTML WG meeting
... the registration closes on monday
... we will look for candidate items up to the point of the meeting, which will be run in an unconference style
... comments?

mike: I sent mail about issue 189


mike: the IETF IRI working group had a ticket opened on this item


mike: if you look at that ticket, you will see that the current status is CLOSED/FIXED; seen as out of scope
... the IRI working has no plans to work this

<paulc> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-189

mike: the issue contains an assertion that we need to work with the IETF. It is not clear who to coordinate with if the IRI working group hasn't taken this up.
... if the status changes, I will communicate that back
... neither of the chairs of the IRI WG are members of the HTML WG

julian: as the one who opened the HTML WG issue and the IRI ticket I can speak to both.
... I was in Paris with the IRI WG 14 days ago. They have no plans to discuss this until they are asked by the HTML WG.
... I don't know with whom Mike has spoken, the feedback he provided is not what I remember from that meeting
... I know that I am on the hook to update my CP. My update will state that we need coordination, and I don't volunteer to be that person as I don't believe that feature is needed.

paulc: date for update:

julian: I plan to get to that next weekend; it won't be a big change

paulc: ETA would Monday, April 16th

<Zakim> MikeSmith, you wanted to say that no, I don't think the IRI WG is expecting to be formally contacted by the HTML WG

mike: the IRI WG has taken no resolution indicating that they are waiting on anything

<tantek> rubys - just saw mention of 183 - I'm on IRC but not on the phone.

mike: Julian if you believe differently, please ask them to confirm that.

julian: It is quite possible that's not in the minutes.

<tantek> I must admit I'm having trouble following the length and complexity of the CJones proposal

mike: I talked to both chairs
... we don't have agreement that any coordination is necessary. That's what is in dispute.

julian: it wouldn't be the IRI WG, it would be the apps area in general
... I talked Thomas and Mark, we have a meta-coordination area

mike: you should talk to PLH too

<tantek> what's the best way to iterate on / respond to http://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Cjones/ISSUE-183 ? a point by point discussion?

julian: if an action item were assigned to me, I would close it as already done

paulc: is your advise to wait for the IETF

julian: there is nobody official who can answer that
... this is something that should be handled on the liaison people

paulc: I will convey this to PLH

<paulc> tantek: I suggest you respond directly to the email and if your points are sufficiently different then split the response into separate emails with appropriate Subject: fields

<paulc> BTW "the email" I meant the one where Cameron announced his revision.

paulc: any other business?

<cjones> tantek: i'm keen to answer any questions you have on the proposal

janina: from the A11y TF, we would like to get on record requesting that issue-201 hold off further action until after the F2F

paulc: I've already mentioned it on the call; we will likely respond on public-html on that item today
... any other other business?

<tantek> biggest problems are with the objections to <time> being dependent on future hypotheticals, and the suggestion to use input types instead put far more burden on authors - why should an author have to decide between type="date" and type="datetime" and the numerous other datetime related input types?

paulc: none heard

Scribe for next meeting

ted volunteers to scribe

maciej is the likely chair


Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/04/12 16:32:59 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/suggestions/suggestion/
Succeeded: s/an ticket/a ticket/
Succeeded: s/It is quite possible that's not in the minutes.//
Found ScribeNick: rubys
Inferring Scribes: rubys

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Apple ArtB CIA-1 CfC Clarke Dashiva Hixie Janina Jedi Joseph_Scheuhammer Juhahi Juhani KevinStreeter Lachy MFoladare Microsoft Mike MikeSmith P1 P14 P7 Philip Radhika_Roy Sam aaaa abarsto adrianba anne arronei away cjones danielfilho davidb ddorwin drublic dsinger dveditz ed eliot gavin glenn gsnedders heycam hiro hober hober2 hsivonen html-wg icaaq inimino jgraham jmb johndrinkwater joined julian karl kennyluck krijnh ksweeney lar_zzz lar_zzz1 lgombos logbot mattkelly miketaylr mjs myakura nesta_ nonge_ paul___irish paulc pingo plh rektide rniwa rniwa_ rubys scribenick shepazu tH tantek tm trackbot vimeo_jo_ vimeo_joe
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012AprJun/0004.html

WARNING: No date found!  Assuming today.  (Hint: Specify
the W3C IRC log URL, and the date will be determined from that.)
Or specify the date like this:
<dbooth> Date: 12 Sep 2002

Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/04/12-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

WARNING: IRC log location not specified!  (You can ignore this 
warning if you do not want the generated minutes to contain 
a link to the original IRC log.)

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]