HTML Weekly Teleconference

22 Mar 2012


See also: IRC log


glenn, eliot, hober, Sam, +1.415.832.aaaa, krisk, paulc, Judy, [Microsoft], adrianba, Cynthia_Shelly, tantek


<trackbot> Date: 22 March 2012

<tantek> greetings


<scribe> Scribe: glenn

<tantek> now that is hilarious

i guess i should talk to myself at this point ... ;)

<rubys> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: HTML Weekly Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 22 March 2012

<scribe> Chair: rubys

<scribe> Scribe: glenn

<scribe> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JanMar/0027.html

ACTION items due by Thursday, March 22


New Issues This Week


Items Closed Last Week

ISSUE-187: validity-stability, Agree/Disagree to Amicable Resolution closed Mar 13


<trackbot> ISSUE-187 Document conformance has to be stable over the time notes added

rubys: no objections

ISSUE-80 was incorrectly included

<rubys> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-080

ISSUE-131: caret-location-API, Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 14


<trackbot> ISSUE-131 Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? notes added

ISSUE-158: object-content-model, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 14


<trackbot> ISSUE-158 HTML4's content-model for <object> should continue notes added

ISSUE-205: text-editing-canvas, Call for Counter Proposals closed Mar 14


<trackbot> ISSUE-205 Define what author guidance and/or methods should be provided to those that wish to create accessible text editors using canvas as a rendering surface. notes added

ISSUE-179: av_param, Agree/Disagree to Amicable Resolution closed Mar 15


<trackbot> ISSUE-179 {audio,video} require param child (or equivalent) notes added

Items Closing This Week

ISSUE-193: inaccessible-example, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21


<trackbot> ISSUE-193 Remove CSS example that promotes inaccessible content notes added

rubys: will go to CfC shortly

ISSUE-194: full-transcript, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21


<trackbot> ISSUE-194 Provide a mechanism for associating a full transcript with an audio or video element. notes added

rubys: have two extension requests

ISSUE-195: form-http-req, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21


<trackbot> ISSUE-195 Enhance http request generation from forms notes added

rubys: two proposals, chairs will evaluate

ISSUE-196: ua-http-resp-handling, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21


<trackbot> ISSUE-196 Define user agent http response handling behaviour notes added

rubys: no counters, next step CfC

ISSUE-197: accept-file-ext, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21

<trackbot> ISSUE-197 Accept attribute should allow file extensions in addition to the current allowed values notes added


ISSUE-199: aria-processing, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21


<trackbot> ISSUE-199 Define complete processing requirements for ARIA attributes notes added

rubys: will evaluate

ISSUE-201: canvas-fallback, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 21


<trackbot> ISSUE-201 Provide canvas location and hit testing capability to fallback content notes added

rubys: has ext request

ISSUE-190: coding-example, Call for Consensus closes Mar 23


<trackbot> ISSUE-190 Replace poor coding example for figure with multiple images notes added

rubys: CfC closes tomorrow

Items Closing Next Week

ISSUE-80: title-alternative, Call for Consensus closes Mar 28


<trackbot> ISSUE-80 document conformance and device dependent display of title attribute content notes added

ISSUE-134: tab-states, Revise Change Proposals closes Mar 28


<trackbot> ISSUE-134 Provide tablist and tab states for menu and command elements respectively notes added

ISSUE-191: ins-del, Revise Change Proposals closes Mar 28


<trackbot> ISSUE-191 Replace/complement <ins> and <del> elements by a cleaner wysiwyg-safe attribute-based solution notes added

ISSUE-200: legend-placement, Call for Counter Proposals closes Mar 28


<trackbot> ISSUE-200 Allow wrapping LEGEND (or new iLEGEND) in non-FIELDSET elements notes added

New Calls this week


rubys: double checking...
... two issued
... that weren't in agenda

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0602.html


<trackbot> ISSUE-204 -- Exempt ARIA attributes from the rule that prohibits reference to hidden elements -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/204

rubys: call for alternate CPs or counter CPs

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0603.html


<trackbot> ISSUE-80 -- document conformance and device dependent display of title attribute content -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/80

rubys: CfC

New Surveys this week


Decisions this week

Close ISSUE-170 rel-uri-valid by Amicable Resolution


Close ISSUE-179 av_param by Amicable Resolution


Close ISSUE-182 footnote-recommendation by Amicable Resolution


Close ISSUE-187 validity-stability by Amicable Resolution


Close ISSUE-188: generic-track-format by Amicable Resolution


Close ISSUE-192 title-attribute by Amicable Resolution


rubys: questions or comments?

Task Force Reports

Testing Task Force

krisk: met last week, will meet again on 27th

<krisk> Notes -> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-testsuite/2012Mar/0005.html

krisk: won't fix bug that existed

<krisk> https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=15042

krisk: canvas tests, listed in notes

<krisk> Microsoft submitting some Progress and Range Tests

rubys: questions?

Accessibility Task Force

janina: two main items

<scribe> ... new canvas section coming from editor

UNKNOWN_SPEAKER: not everything is clear, but one thing is clear: straying into approaches inconsistent with html5 time line
... at least for good a11y support
... so this is a concern
... second avenue, aria attribute (ARIA 1.1) draft...
... like longdesc (ISSUE-30)
... summarize as some people still want to develop longdesc
... the describe-at attr should apply to more elements than img
... aimed at markup, not just html
... e.g. svg
... not quite settled
... maybe 'obsolete but conforming' is acceptable
... a11y still thinks longdesc is needed today
... longdesc is implemented, but inconsistently
... that's it for now

rubys: doesn't believe current proposals describe longdesc as obsolete but conforming

janina: correct

rubys: may need new CP or modification

janina: expects laura is not in favor of "that"
... can beef up proposals

<Judy> s/"that"/obsolete but conforming

janina: not to fix described-by but fix ?
... come up with other additional attribute

<Judy> s/"that?"/obsolete but conforming/

janina: thinks current CP covers problem with described-by

rubys: questions? comments?

judy: side note: janina has coord request with Paul, but trying to schedule

paulc: glad to try

rubys: other questions? comments?

Other Business

CfC: Publish ten heartbeat drafts as WDs


Revert request r7023


rubys: extension request, chairs trying to sort out

F2F registration page


rubys: everybody should register
... AOB?

adrianba: ISSUE-180?


<trackbot> ISSUE-180 -- Add "allow-popups" for iframe@sandbox -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/180

<adrianba> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2012Mar/0511.html

scribe: unable to implement decision due to lack of information
... CP should have all details
... no feedback stating otherwise
... wonders about status of this work

rubys: not yet applied to spec
... knows of no specific request for clarification, etc.

Scribe for next meeting

paulc: will be chairing

rubys: is ted available for next meeting?

ted: yes
... volunteers for next meeting



trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/03/22 16:25:16 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/27h/27th/
Succeeded: s/janina?/janina/
Succeeded: s/proposal/draft/
FAILED: s/"that"/obsolete but conforming/
Succeeded: s/?//
FAILED: s/"that?"/obsolete but conforming/
Found Scribe: glenn
Inferring ScribeNick: glenn
Found Scribe: glenn
Inferring ScribeNick: glenn
Default Present: glenn, eliot, hober, Sam, +1.415.832.aaaa, krisk, paulc, Judy, [Microsoft], adrianba, Cynthia_Shelly, tantek
Present: glenn eliot hober Sam +1.415.832.aaaa krisk paulc Judy [Microsoft] adrianba Cynthia_Shelly tantek
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-wg-announce/2012JanMar/0027.html
Found Date: 22 Mar 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/03/22-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]