06 Feb 2012


See also: IRC log


+1.408.772.aaaa, quinnirill, jernoble, kinetik, ChrisWilson, olivier, [IPcaller], +1.978.314.aabb, +1.650.253.aacc, Doug_Schepers


<roc> argh, skype crash

<roc> look like I need to reboot Windows :-(

<Alistair> Sure thing.

<scribe> Scribe: Olivier

<roc> uh, I'll be back

F2F Follow Up

Olivier: summary of the f2f meeting. focus on use cases and requirements

Greetings New Members

Phil Burk (SP?) introduces himself - working with Tom White on Midi, joined today

getUserMedia Discussion

<Alistair> Start of getUserMedia discussion on mailing list: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2012JanMar/0054.html

Olivier: discussion started by Robin who mentioned getUserMedia API

… evolved into a discussion about audio inputs, MIDI inputs, and MIDI APIs in general

… a lot of interest in MIDI APIs, we'd have to change our charter

<roc> ok

<roc> how do I get myself in the Zakim queue again?

[discussion on privacy concerns]

<roc> how does the queue work?

ROC: important to get user opt-in before giving access to MIDI (or any) device

… don't want to expose more info than we need to about user system (can be used to track user)

… shouldn't have access to enumeration before getting user agreement

ROC: think getUserMedia is a good place to get this kind of information

Crogers?: applicable to game controllers too?

ROC: Not sure

ChrisWilson: difference between MIDI devices and devices connected by MIDI

… little concern about MIDI IOs, but would be concerned by enumeration of all my devices

<Alistair> ack

<shepazu> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/

<shepazu> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2012Feb/0000.html

Doug: if we want to participate in this discussion around getUserMedia, should join the mailing-list

… reasonably low-traffic

… TF from deviceAPI WG and WebRTC WG, would welcome participants from AudioWG

… upcoming teleconference (Thu Feb 9 at 5PM CET, 4PM GMT)

Alistair: would be good to have a couple of volunteers

Doug: volunteer(s) to be the point person(s)?

Alistair: ventures names of ROC and CWilso

(Jussi's name also mentioned)

CRogers: difficult if you don't know which audio devices to choose

ROC: you get tokens for e.g audio, midi

… and the system selects given its constraints

Alistair: let's take it to the ML

Doug: would be good to decide now, while we're on the topic

… or at least within the day, since the teleconf is in 2 days

… If interested, please join

PBurk: checking my calendar, should be able to join

ROC: Not sure I have enough experience in MIDI?

… but can probably be involved

Alistair: does the getUserMedia raise any issue with our use case for Music Production Tool? Joe?

Joe: would hope that getting permission to expose the devices to the app would suffice

CWilso: looking at proposal Jussi sent today, I think you can do that

… no credibility that inputs/outputs would always be enumerated in the same way

… similar from most APIs, they don't swap for no reason

ROC: does MIDI give a unique id to each device?

PBurk: at the OS level

Intro to Use Case Priorities

Doug: may be useful, both for us and others interested in our work

… two things pre-eminent here are games and the use cases from WebRTC

… would like to introduce ideas of priorities

… maybe 1

… to 5

… we could always have a v2

Jer: agrees

Doug: should take it to the ML

Olivier: not sure if we should prioritize Use Cases or Requirements. What is the granularity we should be using?

Doug: would suggest to prioritize Use Cases, and infer what are the important requirements as a result

Olivier: would like people to look through the doc, especially since it has changed a lot at f2f

rechartering for MIDI APIs

Doug: would amend the charter to include this new work, we'd describe what we want the API to do
... then the draft would be taken to the AC

… in the meantime we can start an editor's draft

<roc> gotta run

differences between APIs

Doug: a few people have asked on the list, what are the differences

… am not comfortable doing it myself, think it is important

… suggest Chris and ROC are best


Doug: suggests starting a wiki page

… to explain the difference

Crogers: may be controversial

Doug: we can be objective about what makes them different

… rather than talk about "qualities"

Joe: would be valuable to state differences wrt use cases

(general hum of agreement)

Joe: also have trouble grasping the detail of the media stream API

Jussi: more integration with webRTC

Alistair: more of a callback system than a graph system

<quinnirill> sorry, my mic is pretty bad

Doug: might not be best to discuss while ROC is not here

<chris> Web Audio integration with WebRTC: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/webrtc-integration.html

… make it into the agenda for next week, discuss on wiki/list til then

Joe: am aware of the spec, but not developed enough

… would like to understand better

<scribe> ACTION: Doug to start page on differences between API, encourage people to add content [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/06-audio-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-30 - Start page on differences between API, encourage people to add content [on Doug Schepers - due 2012-02-13].

CRogers: in response to Jussi, link on integration of Web Audio API with WebRTC: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/webaudio/webrtc-integration.html

Doug: "More integrated" is perhaps a too high level claim

… going into details about the difference in integration would be better

Olivier: would like to agree with idea to look at the differences at the use case level

… how each of them approaches the use cases, with examples

Alistair: should we wait until we have priorities?

Doug: think it will be a 2-way street


Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Doug to start page on differences between API, encourage people to add content [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/02/06-audio-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2012/02/06 22:06:07 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Burke/Burk/
Found Scribe: Olivier
Inferring ScribeNick: olivier
Default Present: +1.408.772.aaaa, quinnirill, jernoble, kinetik, ChrisWilson, olivier, [IPcaller], +1.978.314.aabb, +1.650.253.aacc, Doug_Schepers
Present: +1.408.772.aaaa quinnirill jernoble kinetik ChrisWilson olivier [IPcaller] +1.978.314.aabb +1.650.253.aacc Doug_Schepers

WARNING: No meeting title found!
You should specify the meeting title like this:
<dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2012JanMar/0117.html
Got date from IRC log name: 06 Feb 2012
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2012/02/06-audio-minutes.html
People with action items: doug

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]