Use Case XML Channellist
From Web and TV IG
Use Case: Using XML formalism to handle channels list
Submitter(s): MStar Semiconductor (JC Verdié),
- high level description/overview of the goals of the use case
Provide a declarative approach to handle channels list in TV for web UI and/or application Usage
- Schematic Illustration (devices involved, work flows, etc)
- Implementation Examples (e.g. JS code snippets)
<dvb:channel id='chann1'> <name>ABC</name> <dvb:source>onid,pid,sid</dvb:source> <dvb:ait> <application>http://wwww.appToLaunch.com </application> <state>signalled</state> </dvb:ait> </dvb:channel> <iptv:virtualChannel id='chann2'> <name>ZDF</name> <iptv:channel id=‘chann2hd’> <iptv:source>http://.../streamingHD/video.m3u</iptv:source> </iptv:channel> <iptv:channel id=‘chann2sd’> <iptv:source>http://.../streamingSD/video.m3u</iptv:source> </iptv:channel> </iptv:virtualChannel>
- Explanation of benefit to ecosystem
Provide a standardised communication between tuner middleware (whether they are ISDB, DVB, ATSC or others would not be relevant).
- Why were you not able to use only existing standards to accomplish this?
Existing standards only provide a procedural approach to this data management, implying a lot of additional code in both the browser and the middleware, and a lot of re-processing of data, while the inner nature of structure data in XML is pinpoint aligned with channel management needs.
- What might you suggest could be standardized?
We are proposing the W3C to work on a standardised XML scheme to describe a channel list with all needed items such as (the following list is not comprehensive):
- channel name
- channel type : IP, DVB, ...
- channel protocol : dvb triplet, rtsp, ...
- channel access : which can be specialised depending on channel type (IP address , triplet, ...)
- this is not a formalism presented here, as many channels will now include multiple access points (HD, SD, adaptive streaming, broadcast, ...)
- other use cases, proposals or other ongoing standardization activities which this use case is dependant on or related to
- any relevant comment that is good to track related to this use case