MPTF/MPTF Discussions/Delivery to ip
From Web and TV IG
Tracker Issue ID: ISSUE-51
Description: THIS HAS BEEN MERGED INTO ISSUE 40
High-value content is delivered to a range of consumer devices. These devices differ in several dimensions relevant to content protection:
- Hardware and software accessibility. For example, desktop personal computer hardware, buses and software are easily accessed and changed compared to smartphones with tightly controlled software environments and difficult to access hardware internals.
- General purpose vs purpose built user agent. A browser designed for general purpose use may contain limited, or no, content protection mechanisms whereas a purpose built user agent, for a connected TV or an application downloaded from a service provider for instance, might contain more content protection mechanisms or ones with associated license fees.
- Field upgrade ability. A range of software and firmware upgrade security exists from none to secure firmware to signed applications.
- Hardware support for content protection. Some devices will have no hardware support for content protection while others might have secure microprocessors or one time programmable memory.
- Content owners and service providers want to deliver content to devices that are in popular use by consumers. These devices represent a wide range of capabilities and potential threat opportunities with regard to content protection. A user agent needs to provide a common API to the content protection mechanisms used across this range of capabilities and potential threats.
What needs to be standardized