MPTF/MPTF Discussions/Delivery in distribution windows
From Web and TV IG
Tracker Issue ID: ISSUE-40
- Commercial video providers want to deliver a broad range of premium content to HTML5-based clients.
- Earlier distribution windows and higher quality.
- New distribution channels, e.g. UltraViolet streaming.
- Support for multiple protection methods.
- Reach more platforms
- A range of hardware and software accessibility from open personal computing to controlled retail devices.
- General purpose to embedded user agents.
- A range of hardware and software security environments.
- This allows service providers to make high-value content available to HTML5 clients.
What needs to be standardized
- Provide Web content with common interface to content protection
- Provide a way to pass protection parameters to the user agent via a common API.
- Provide events and error codes so that the user agent can convey protection related status to web content. Here is a sample of error codes (input from oipf events):
- No license, content blocked
- Invalid license, content blocked
- Valid license
Note when content is blocked additional information may be provided in order to retrieve new license like a URL.
- Which DRMs are supported?
- Is DRM ready?
- Provide information so page server can make content available depending on level of protection available in user agent
- The Media element  should be used to play protected content including:
- Media resources with multiple media tracks
- Synchronising multiple media elements
- Timed text tracks
- Enable use of the Media element to play content protected by methods not built into the user agent.
- Blend <object> /<embed> external resource reference with video/audio element APIs
- Enable servers to authenticate applications and users
- Common authentication interfaceComments:'