MPTF/MPTF Discussions/Continuous Streaming 2
Tracker Issue ID: ISSUE-44
For a continuous playlist use case, this is supported by either a first-in-first-out playlist that is regularly updated or done by continually appending finite media segments. The task force should consider the options and make a recommendation.
- This must work for both adaptive and non-adaptive codecs.
- Support for linear television programming and continuous streaming over the Internet.
- Bug 13358 http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13358 identifies the need for an event that indicates when the tracks in a media resource change. This is motivated by support for continuous streams.
What needs to be standardized
- One or more methods need to be defined for specifying continuous media streams.
- A method for a consistent time base must be developed in order to support ad insertion, synchronized media, etc.