HNTF/Home Network TF Discussions/RespondToRequests
Application Responding to Requests
Submitter: Jean-Claude Dufourd, Telecom ParisTech
Tracker Issue ID: ISSUE-13
Description: Application A provides a discoverable service S. Application B discovers the service S. Application B sends requests to application A, in the form of one of the messages belonging to the service interface of application A.
- the application A is a TV-broadcast-related application, which is allowed to call the function returning the description of the next program.
- the application A exposes a service with one message getNextProgramDescription.
- an application B on another device discovers the service (not knowing that it is a document, it is just another UPnP service to doc. B).
- application B binds to the service
- application B sends a getNextProgramDescription message
- application A receives the getNextProgramDescription message, calls the function returning the description of the next program, replies to document B.
Neither application A or B know the actual nature of the other. They may have an IP address, and they share a service type.
Justification: Allowing to share resources other than content, such as a capability (a large screen, a sensor) or an "authorization" (permission to use a restricted API).
Dependencies: on existing UC Application Exposing a Service, Application Discovering a Service