Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

14 Dec 2011


See also: IRC log


Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, Anssi_Kostiainen, Rich_Tibbett, Ernesto_Jimenez, Clarke_Stevens, Glenn_Adams, Cathy_Chan, Deepanshu_Gautam, Dsr, Claes_Nilsson, Dzung_Tran, Russell_Berkoff(Samsung), Bryan_Sullivan
Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch


<trackbot> Date: 14 December 2011

<fjh_> trackbot, start telecon

<trackbot> Meeting: Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 14 December 2011

<Clarke> ??P3 is me

<scribe> Scribe: Josh_Soref


RESOLUTION: Cancel Dec 28 Call

<fjh> HTML Speech Incubator Group completes, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Dec/0035.html

Minutes Approval

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Nov/att-0263/minutes-2011-11-30.html

RESOLUTION: Minutes of Dec 7 Meeting are Approved

March F2F

<fjh> Date and location confirmation

<fjh> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-device-apis/2011Dec/0000.html (Dom)

<fjh> Week of 19 March (Tue - Thur ?)

<fjh> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/43696/mar2012-f2f/results

<fjh> Shenzhen (adjacent to Hongkong), Beijing offers...

fjh: We need to nail this down
... people need to get approvals and visas

Deepanshu: I don't think it would be troublesome to get to Shenzhen
... you can take a Ferry from Hong Kong there

fjh: so basically you fly in to HK and then Ferry
... Can we decide on the dates first?

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to ask about who would be hosting in BEijing

fjh: Mar 20-22

<darobin> [and we have an offer from LG in Seoul as well, right?]

RESOLUTION: F2F will be March 20-22

dom: did we have an offer for Beijing?

fjh: it came privately, not on the list

<darobin> I'm Jing Wu from Chinaunicom.

<darobin> Chinaunicom is very glad to host the F2F meeting in March next year in Beijing.

dom: i think knowing the Week and the Country
... should be sufficient for Josh_Soref's needs

fjh: it seems that we'd want to confirm that the host is able to provide Internet and similar

Deepanshu: because this would be our first time hosting
... we'd want to know how many attendees (roughly)
... we would provide internet of course
... but for other logistics, we need that estimate

fjh: dom, do we need a questionnaire for participant count?

darobin: Deepanshu, when do you need the count by?

Deepanshu: we'd need it by Mid Jan

<dom> (DAP meetings have been in the range of 15 to 40 participants)

darobin: once we decide, we can put up a registration poll

Deepanshu: at latest by the end of January

fjh: i'd favor deciding now

darobin: me too

fjh: i think we should decide now, and on Shenzhen

<darobin> +1 to Shenzhen

fjh: although i don't know anything about it

<Clarke> +1

<Cathy> +1 to Shenzhen

dsr: I agree, do we have confirmation about hosts in Shenzhen ?

darobin: yes

dsr: then i'd favor deciding now

fjh: Objections?

[ None ]

RESOLUTION: March F2F will be in Shenzhen

[ At Huawei ]

<Deepanshu> Huawei Technologies.

<Deepanshu> We are headquatered in Shenzhen

<inserted> fjh: Deepanshu if you could send out about logistics, that would be good

<inserted> Deepanshu: I can send out about Travel+Ferry but not Hotel as we haven't decided yet


<darobin> ACTION: Robin to reply to China Unicom and LG about hosting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/14-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-495 - Reply to China Unicom and LG about hosting [on Robin Berjon - due 2011-12-21].

fjh: AnssiK, it looks like there's discussion on both lists

AnssiK: seems to be publication, a couple of LC comments

<AnssiK> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2009/dap/system-info/battery-status.html

AnssiK: i've been updating the ED based on them
... you can review the commit logs
... I don't think there's much need to review the changes on the call
... we got good feedback and have resolved a couple of bugs

<fjh> Last Call period ends 20 December 2011

AnssiK: I think we're ready to move forward
... i'll be away for most of Jan
... if you want me to do something during Jan, that may be challenging
... Josh_Soref could edit the spec
... if you need to do edits in my absence, i trust you
... any changes at this point would be typos
... you (collectively) are free to make whatever (minor) changes it takes

<fjh> need to update last call log

AnssiK: please work with the implementers

<darobin> +1 to shipping stuff

AnssiK: so we can ship something from this WG

fjh: will you be at the F2F?

AnssiK: most likely not

fjh: thanks. we'll play it by ear.

Media Capture

<fjh> Media Stream Capture Scenarios , ACTION-461 (Travis)

<fjh> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html

<Zakim> richt, you wanted to discuss media capture

darobin: preferably send feedback to the TF

richt: I'm still a bit unhappy with the split of that work
... I'd like to see MediaStream come from WebRTC also
... that might be due to the charter

darobin: I think for the split stuff
... it's about convincing the WebRTC people
... if we come up w/ a unified stream proposal that they like

richt: it's about coming up with a toolchain
... i started a discussion, but i didn't get any responses

darobin: i think it would be a good idea to chat w/ travis to get an aligned proposal
... sometimes people are silent on the list because they agree

richt: i'll talk with travis, i think we're aligned

<dom> [I think there will be also needs to get stuff done for visas]

<Zakim> dom, you wanted to suggest making a concrete Web IDL proposal

<darobin> +1 on concrete

dom: I think having a concrete Web IDL proposal on how the split would work would help moving forward
... richt will you be making a concrete proposal?

richt: it's not that difficult
... i'm not editing the document, which makes things a bit of a pain

darobin: the document is on github, so you can fork and make pull requests

<fjh> Task force highlights

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-capture/2011Dec/

darobin: i don't think there's a lot we can talk about here as it's supposed to be done in the TF

fjh: right, but i'm not sure how to handle TFs yet

Web Intents

<fjh> Web and TV IG has just published his first group note document:

<fjh> "Requirements for Home Networking Scenarios".

<fjh> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/NOTE-hnreq-20111201/

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Dec/0034.html

<fjh> 5b) Task force highlights

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-intents/2011Dec/

fjh: I think we need to do more work on the list for intents
... i don't think there's anything to discuss on it

darobin: for Intents, I think we have to figure out IPR stuff
... and get a draft out

fjh: who's doing this?

darobin: we just talked about this w/ dsr before the call

<Deepanshu> How do i put myself on the que?

Claes: a question about the next F2F and Intents
... are there any plans to have any joint Intents F2F in concert w/ the DAP F2F?

darobin: the question of discussing Intents at the F2F depends on whether the Intents people attend the F2F

fjh: i think it's important to talk about it, so we should have an Agenda item

<darobin> ACTION: Robin to figure out if the Intents TF wants to meet as part of DAP F2F [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/14-dap-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-496 - Figure out if the Intents TF wants to meet as part of DAP F2F [on Robin Berjon - due 2011-12-21].

<bryan> I would prefer that all task forces are represented at the F2F and there is specific dicussion.

Claes: darobin / fjh, could you discuss this with the TF leader?

fjh: i think that's important, thank you Claes

darobin: i will

<bryan> Otherwise there is less reason to travel.

fjh: in general, we should figure out our Agenda for the F2F fairly soon


fjh: I'd suggest not to have a call next week

RESOLUTION: No call next week

fjh: regarding participation, i think we need a questionaire

Deepanshu: i think most attendees will need visas
... so most will need invitation letters

darobin: yes

Deepanshu: i'm not sure about the internal process for getting invitation letters
... it may be possible due to the internal details, that we'll need to know who needs invitation letters

fjh: i think the last time i was in china, we just needed a generic letter

dsr: we may have a generic letter with a block list of names

Deepanshu: i'll get back on the list what information we need for each person
... we can provide any letters people ask for

fjh: can we do a swag for number of attendees?

Josh_Soref: didn't the WBS give you numbers?

fjh: that would do the trick

dom: regarding participants, the ballpark is 15..40
... the last time we met in Asia (Seoul), we had the lowest, which was 15
... but there were bad travel conditions then

<darobin> [there were 18 responders for the week of 19th, but I would expect more]

darobin: specifically Fukushima

<darobin> [I have emailed James to coordinate on Intents participation]

darobin: which resulted in cancellations

fjh: Deepanshu, where does this leave you with planning?

Deepanshu: i'm just wondering about invitation letters?
... i'm not sure if the time would be enough
... if we get the information by the end of january

fjh: that might make it hard to turn around the passports

Deepanshu: we should be providing invitation letters ASAP

dom: i'd suggest Deepanshu get back to us with what he needs, time, etc.

Deepanshu: i'll get back on the list with that

dom: once we have that, we can adjust the deadline for registration
... we can ask people to send that information as soon as they know that they are coming
... people who don't know if they are coming should go through the process

<Deepanshu> it will not be possible for us to host in Hongkong

fjh: i'm not sure about how transiting through Hong Kong works

darobin: Hong Kong has a visa exception for Transit or under 3 months

<Zakim> Josh_Soref, you wanted to ask if we can invite all WG members

<darobin> merry christmas! happy new year!

<fjh> +1 robin

Deepanshu: we need passport numbers, expiry date, date of issue, date of birth, place of birth, place of issue
... i'm not sure about the specifics, but it seems to have specific things
... i'll get back on the list as soon as i know


fjh: have a happy new year

[ bye ]

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Robin to figure out if the Intents TF wants to meet as part of DAP F2F [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/14-dap-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Robin to reply to China Unicom and LG about hosting [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/12/14-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/12/14 15:42:38 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/zakim. who is here?//
Succeeded: s/... Huawei/[ At Huawei ]/
Succeeded: s/Resolution: March/RESOLUTION: March/
Succeeded: s/i'd like to see more of the stuff come from WebRTC/I'd like to see MediaStream come from WebRTC also/
Succeeded: i/Topic: Battery/fjh: Deepanshu if you could send out about logistics, that would be good
Succeeded: i/Topic: Battery/Deepanshu: I can send out about Travel+Ferry but not Hotel as we haven't decided yet
Succeeded: s/+Clarke_Stevens/Present+ Clarke_Stevens/
Succeeded: s/XXX about WebIDL/I think having a concrete Web IDL proposal on how the split would work would help moving forward/
Succeeded: s/??P3 is me//
FAILED: s/ans how.*//
Succeeded: s|s/ans how.*//||
Succeeded: s/thx//
Succeeded: s/ans how to remove myself "q-"//
Succeeded: s/Deepanshu, I need an invitation as soon as possible//
Succeeded: s/possibel/possible/
Found Scribe: Josh_Soref
Inferring ScribeNick: Josh_Soref
Present: Robin_Berjon Frederick_Hirsch Anssi_Kostiainen Rich_Tibbett Ernesto_Jimenez Clarke_Stevens Glenn_Adams Cathy_Chan Deepanshu_Gautam Dsr Claes_Nilsson Dzung_Tran Russell_Berkoff(Samsung) Bryan_Sullivan
Regrets: Niklas_Widell
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Dec/0036.html
Found Date: 14 Dec 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/12/14-dap-minutes.html
People with action items: robin

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]