HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

08 Dec 2011

See also: IRC log


John_Foliot, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Michael_Cooper, Janina_Sajka, Kelly_Ford, Paul_Cotton, Jim_Allan, Léonie_Watson, Cynthia_Shelly, Steve_Faulkner?, Judy


<trackbot> Date: 08 December 2011

<MichaelC> scribe: MichaelC

<janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference

<janina> Scribe:

<richardschwerdtfe> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline

<richardschwerdtfe> http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/#text

canvas Issue-131 CP Status http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Dec/0085.html

rs: multiple baselines

see above link

which led to confusion

clarifying which baseline has cleared up issue

pc: trying to repoen issue because disagree with decision, or providing new information?

rs: new information

previous change proposal turned out not to have enough detail

because wasn't clear in spec

pc: wondering if this is so chairs will continue dialogue with editor

js: by picking a specific baseline, it's not unclear so easier to discuss around

rs: Maciej requested a diff between change proposals, have provided one

pc: so need TF endorsement, then official sending to chair

js: any objection to forwarding?

RESOLUTION: forward change proposal at http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/FocusRingTextBaseline to HTML WG chairs (cc HTML WG) with note it reopens HTML-ISSUE-131

Drag and Drop

js: asked Jim, Kelly, Everett to join call to discuss this

jf: Everett put out some questions about drag and drop

didn't get feedback

<JAllan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Nov/0155.html

<LeonieW> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Nov/0155.html

js: should these questions be addressed by HTML, or by User Agent Accessibility Guidelines?

ja: thought this was covered in keyboard access part of UAAG

under principle that everything you can do with a mouse you can do with a keyboard

has been demonstrated doable

and browser could handle it

cs: are there examples and techniques?

ja: we could add some

kf: that seems accurate summary of situation

mc: need a specific methodology for drag and drop with keyboard

browsers won't "just know" how to do it

UAAG techniques could describe this

ja: yes, can do in UAAG techniques since UAAG has the requirement

jf: questions about user interaction rules specified in HTML

ja: that should be fleshed out in HTML 5 and then UAAG can reflect

kf: like having the guidance in HTML 5 because higher visibility; UAAG can supplement

jf: think there are good questions in Everett's message

attempting to escalate review of this...

e.g., question 3 on img and a elements are draggable by default, are there ARIA features that should also be draggable?

js: that is for sure an HTML 5 question

<richardschwerdtfe> brb

are there any UAAG quetsions?

kf: these really seem like HTML 5 questions

jf: so what's next step?

file bugs? note clock is ticking

lw: though first two issues were duplicates of bug 8800

sf: so need to review outcome of that bug

lw: or push on that

js: if we tell Everett we support his analysis and think it should get escalated through existing and new bugs

pc: HTML 5 editor looking both at Last Call bugs, and post-LC bugs

these might get looked at in soonish timeframe, though we don't have a mechanism to guarantee

providing motivating case for problem and explicit change proposal likely to help with processing

js: asks JF to coordinate with Everett, Jim, Kelly on moving this forward

ja: will look at UAAG overlap

also will look into voice navigation aspect

lw: Everett has content knowledge but needs process support from us

js: support looking at keyboard, voice, and other device-independence use cases

hope Independent User Interface will generacise the problem


review some RESOLVED/NEEDSINFO LC a11y bugs: http://goo.gl/J7WnX

pc: HTML 5 is processing bugs rapidly

jb: including those set to won't fix, worksforme, etc.?

pc: includes all states

count is down to 30, editor doing a lot of work on them for 31 Dec deadline

based on numbers of escalations, not everyone agreeing with dispositions

chairs are issuing calls for change proposals in response to these


jb: a week ago numbers in various categories were higher

if more marked as wontfix etc. we have higher workload to process those

sf: <missed>

pc: for 31 Dec editor will push bug count on his plate to 0

for 13 Jan, we have deadline to escalate any we disagree with

helpful to provide evidence before 31 Dec particularly for needsinfo

you can see accelerated bug processing

sf: what is status of issues that have been queuing up?

pc: have been focusing on unblocking HTML 5 and canvas publication

so that's priority

chairs are about to release review of one of the HTML-ISSUE-30 change proposals

jb: see a bigger workload in front of us, or timing over holidays tight

pc: well, it's better than editor working on his deadline the day before

jb: for messaging, should be clear it's editor resolutions, not WG resolutions

pc: chairs not planning specific messaging

js: so for needsinfo, we want to provide the info, so they don't languish un-updated

mc: think there are new needsinfo bugs that need taking owners

<more discussion on messaging>

<discussion on handling bugs as they get processed>

sf: there are two reopen requests that need info from JS

js: yes, let's talk to get that

<Stevef> just resolved needsinfo bug https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=11956

<paulc> I have leave for the WG call since I am chairing today.

trackbot, end meeting

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/12/08 20:18:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/including those set to needsinfo, wontfix, etc/including those set to won't fix, worksforme, etc/
Found Scribe: MichaelC
Inferring ScribeNick: MichaelC
Found Scribe: 
Scribes: MichaelC, 
Default Present: John_Foliot, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Michael_Cooper, Janina_Sajka, Kelly_Ford, Paul_Cotton, Jim_Allan, Léonie_Watson, Cynthia_Shelly, Steve_Faulkner?, Judy
Present: John_Foliot Rich_Schwerdtfeger Michael_Cooper Janina_Sajka Kelly_Ford Paul_Cotton Jim_Allan Léonie_Watson Cynthia_Shelly Steve_Faulkner? Judy
Found Date: 08 Dec 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/12/08-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]