See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 10 November 2011
<scribe> agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.11.10
<scribe> scribe: Yigal
<HadleyBeeman> Hi all!
<BartvanLeeuwen> hmm my sip client fails to work :(
<olyerickson> mute me
<rreck> echo is often a product of noise cancellation math
bhyland: Sending email re community directory
<olyerickson> +1 to starting...
<rreck> zakim seems slow today
bhyland: Think about relevance of this wg
<olyerickson> Minutes link?
<bhyland> Move to accept minutes from last week, http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/meeting/2011-11-03
<HadleyBeeman> (for the minutes)
olyerickson: Has only spoken locally, so slow on action items
<olyerickson> Yes please continue bugging me
<olyerickson> Yes please keep my action open
<sandro> cygri: re Action-14 nope, no videoconf facility at DERI
<olyerickson> +1 to poll
<BenediktKaempgen> +1 to poll
<BartvanLeeuwen> +1 on the poll
<rreck> filled out what?
<GeraldSteeman> +1 did the poll
<sandro> rreck, fill out http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/47663/f2f2_location/
<PhilA2> I've filled it in (if I were American, I might have filled it out)
bhyland: from poll -- 14 people
can make f2f, 1 cannot
... will look into results of poll further
<GeraldSteeman> My "no" is really a "I'm going to try to get to DC, but not sure yet."
sandro: looks like won't be
better to move f2f to dc
... default would seem to be galway
... details would determine if we make dc secondary site
<rreck> i responded but it still regards me a non-responder
<sandro> rreck, it has your response, it's just cacheing too much in showing you.
bhyland: worked on getting
community directory on w3c domain. it's now up.
... wants more input from those with relevant experience, so doesn't consider it done
... 5000 hits within short time
... ~6 people asked for logins
<rreck> i have an approach but dont know how it could run on w3 machines
bhyland: still figuring out how to best handle that matter
<rreck> i can discuss it with you offline. it should be pretty simple to do.
<olyerickson> FYI, David Wood's email announcement: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Nov/0034.html
bhyland: opinions and thoughts on this are welcome.
<rreck> i can talk to you at Semtech if you want.
<rreck> i have thoughts but dont want to digress
<olyerickson> How may subscribers on the public-lod list?
<PhilA2> I really like the directory and I'm looking forward to seeing it evolve
HadleyBeeman: It's helpful to have a sense of who's involved. More important to be clear to outside world about our goals and accomplishments.
<olyerickson> +1 to directory concept, but it can't be the only thing
<rreck> +1 hadley's idea of a plan
<olyerickson> the break-out topics are the "small conversations" that held build the community
HadleyBeeman: Need to be clear on who our target audience is, and that we're building something that will be picked up and used.
bhyland: Believes best practices is for people who want to get started. It's not targeted at information managers, at department and CIO level.
<HadleyBeeman> Point of clarification: are we reassessing our charter, or checking on details/emphases within it?
<bhyland> olyerickson: I'm concerned that the work of the GLD WG is too narrowly focused. We're not focusing on the low hanging fruit, the people who want to supply 1 star data & get it discovered. Has to do with data set catalog, listing data sets, using other forms of semantic markup.
<olyerickson> I hear you ;)
bhyland: WG focus is on explaining the value proposition.
<Biplav> Sorry for ignorance, but what is ADMS?
<bhyland> This working group is focused on 4 & 5 star Linked Data and clearly articulating the value proposition, along with best practices to achieve that.
<PhilA2> acl sandro
<olyerickson> sandro: GLD WG is about the how, not the why
sandro: Key thing we should do is the "how" not the "why". We need to decide how to do it in cases where that has not been determined.
<Biplav> What does the acronym ADMS stand for?
<bhyland> Sandro: I think the group should be the "how", not the why. We have decide & document the *hows*, especially when not documented.
<mhausenblas> re ADMS, see http://www.semic.eu/semic/view/snav/network/Communities/ADMS.xhtml
bhyland: The areas she's agreed
to facilitate are community directory and best practices.
... NIEM is XML vocabulary for allowing local agencies to exchange information.
<Cory-c> and one that can map to RDF
<rreck> I am interested in NIEM and RDF
Cory-c: Will map easily to RDF. Working on proof of concept.
<bhyland> NIEM = National Information Exchange Model, see https://www.niem.gov/Pages/default.aspx
<bhyland> Per the website, "NIEM makes it possible for organizations to share critical data; as a result, people are empowered to make informed decisions that improve efficiency and help organizations advance their missions."
Cory-c: If people are interested in RDF representation, would like to get together with them.
<rreck> please include me
<Biplav> I will be interested
<olyerickson> Darth: zakim, I am your father...
<rreck> use the src
<BartvanLeeuwen> I'm interested in the emergency management ofcourse
<HadleyBeeman> +1 to internationalisation of vocabularies
PhilA2: Interested in the vocabulary work.
<PhilA2> ADMS is here http://www.semic.eu/semic/view/snav/network/Communities/ADMS.xhtml
<olyerickson> See also the draft: http://www.semic.eu/semic/view/documents/adms-specification-v0.6.html
<PhilA2> Asset Description Metadata Schema
PhilA2: ADMS is concept scheme not namespace.
<Cory-c> I would like to add that there is a strong push for NIEM to expand past the U.S., this is going on now.
<rreck> i did GJXDM too
<olyerickson> zaim, unmute me.
bhyland: PhilA and Cory, will one take an action item to form a task group to work on this?
<olyerickson> I'm like to be involved in that
<olyerickson> I suggest we start by adding "and ADMS" where ever "DCAT" is mentioned...
bhyland: Just start modifying a wiki page, put together an outline, call a meeting with the task force using zakim.
<rreck> i think an initial paragraph that scopes the topic helps. (my 2 cents)
bhyland: Happy to be a catalyst.
<bhyland> ACTION: Cory-c agreed to facilitate NIEM discussion and get outline started working with bhyland. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-16 - Agreed to facilitate NIEM discussion and get outline started working with bhyland. [on Cory Casanave - due 2011-11-17].
<bhyland> ACTION: PhilA2 agreed to be catalyst for drafting wiki page on relevant vocab work on Person, Address, Business. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - PhilA2
Cory-c: Will add relevant content to the wiki. Working on person, address, business.
<bhyland> ACTION: Archer agreed to be catalyst for drafting wiki page on relevant vocab work on Person, Address, Business. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-17 - Agreed to be catalyst for drafting wiki page on relevant vocab work on Person, Address, Business. [on Phil Archer - due 2011-11-17].
<bhyland> ACTION: olyerickson agreed to facilitate initial wiki draft on Vocab page on VCAT. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-18 - Agreed to facilitate initial wiki draft on Vocab page on DCAT. [on John Erickson - due 2011-11-17].
<HadleyBeeman> +1 to building a wiki page compiling the existing vocabularies and what actions we need to take on them.
HadleyBeeman: Interested in international standards, looking at applicability of English standards.
bhyland: like what Phil described?
<bhyland> HadleyBeeman: Discussed international applicability of meta-vocabularies for English speaking users. Focusing on what we have in common, like what Phil said earlier, without recreating the wheel.
bhyland: Would be useful even for
things as basic as addresses.
... If you're into addresses, please comment.
cygri: Regarding DCAT and stepping on toes, not to worry.
<PhilA2> Thanks cygri
<bhyland> cygri: We welcome feedback!
<olyerickson> +1 to thanks
<bhyland> biplav: Was looking at vocabulary deliverable and thought it was top down. Discussed entity extraction … comment, are we considering how to use info extractions technologies?
Biplav: Are we considering recommending how to use info extraction to discover vocabularies?
<olyerickson> That's eGov IG stuff
<olyerickson> (I believe)
<PhilA2> +1 to olyerickson
Biplav: There are cities that have opened up their data. Will we have a deliverable that is a guideline on a roadmap for this?
bhyland: Best practices is supposed to do that.
<cygri> +1 to olyerickson. that's my understanding too
bhyland: "Roadmap" is a synonym
for what we're contemplating. Should be useful, not a stagnant
spec that doesn't get updated.
... Can we assign Biplav an action item to deal with this?
BartvanLeeuwen: Would like to be more involved, looking for how he can be of practical help.
<cygri> BartvanLeeuwen: *what* would you like to do? ;-)
bhyland: Bart has experience with use cases.
<bhyland> ACTION: Biplav agreed to document some use cases for "roadmap" scenarios for localities contemplating putting content on the LoD. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html#action05]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-19 - Agreed to document some use cases for "roadmap" scenarios for localities contemplating putting content on the LoD. [on Biplav Srivastava - due 2011-11-17].
BartvanLeeuwen: Would it be good to have fire department data available?
bhyland: Will create a page for Bart and Diplav to work on. Bart can drive some of the use cases -- has great ones.
<olyerickson> +1 to BartvanLeeuwen and Biplav working together on the "real, useful" stuff
<olyerickson> Bart needs to mute
<bhyland> ACTION: Bhyland to mint wiki page for localities use cases, linked off the Best Practices deliverable. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html#action06]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-20 - Mint wiki page for localities use cases, linked off the Best Practices deliverable. [on Bernadette Hyland - due 2011-11-17].
olyerickson: Met with Brazilian colleague behind wikicrimes site.
<olyerickson> I wasn't going to suggest adding him
olyerickson: Heard about crime data. Will look at the page and add to it.
<olyerickson> I was going to suggest pointing him at it
bhyland: Please update scribes page and regrets.
bhyland: Email announcements to
her and she'll add to agenda.
... Will get back to us soon about one or two f2f locations.
<GeraldSteeman> Thanks to Bernadette for speaking to the CENDI group: www.cendi.gov
<BartvanLeeuwen> okay bye
<bhyland> meeting adjourned.
<annew> bye bye
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136 of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/,e/me/ Succeeded: s/pubic/pubic/ Succeeded: s/pubic/public/ Succeeded: s/VCAT/DCAT/ Found Scribe: Yigal Inferring ScribeNick: Yigal Found Scribe: Yigal Inferring ScribeNick: Yigal WARNING: No "Present: ... " found! Possibly Present: BartvanLeeuwen BenediktKaempgen Biplav Cory Cory-c Darth GeraldSteeman HadleyBeeman IPcaller MacTed P18 P60 PhilA2 Yigal aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee aaff aagg annew bhyland cygri cygri_ gld joined mhausenblas olyerickson rreck sandro tgheen trackbot You can indicate people for the Present list like this: <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary <dbooth> Present+ amy Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.11.10 Found Date: 10 Nov 2011 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/11/10-gld-minutes.html People with action items: archer bhyland biplav cory-c olyerickson phila2 WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines. You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]