Research and Development Working Group Teleconference

27 Oct 2011

See also: IRC log


Giorgio, Shadi, Markel, Joshue, Peter, Vivienne
Simon, Yeliz
Peter, Giorgio


Update on actions, jobs, publicity, and other items we need to

shadi: resumes item 1 of agenda; we got 1 submission

<shadi> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd-submission/

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Selection_Criteria

SAZ: we set up review notes/instructions tha twe agreed upon time ago, but we didn't finilzed them
... we sent a reminder that deadline is not extendable

<shadi> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2011OctDec/0025.html

markel: who is the receipient of those automatic notification of new submissions?

<shadi> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-wai-rd-submission/

SAZ: public mailing list, anybody can subscribe to it
... submission mailing list, actually. as symposium chairs we are there
... apologizes for having included a few persons in it. The scientific comittee was by default added to the list
... we can change the current policy.

<Joshue> and me!

giorgio: was very happy for shadi doing by default

markel: then anybody can access the submissions? is it a good thing?

<Joshue> good point

markel: there is confidentiality of submission at stakes

<markel> that's it

<markel> agree with GB

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/metrics/

giorgio: the policy should be in line with the cfp

saz: checking if there is some info in the cfp; there is none, apparently

giorgio: it should be something that for next webminars should be checked. right now I think we are good, but we should close subscriptions to that mailing list

saz: agrees

<markel> :-)

markel: deadline is on monday; then the sceintific committee will meet;

<markel> normally submissions will arrive the night before

<markel> it's a good proposal

giorgio: suggests that chairs should appoint papers to reviewers; collect reviews and then set up a discussion in the group

<markel> a week for reviews?

<Joshue> Yes, thats fine

<Joshue> depending on amount of papers tho

<markel> sounds good

<markel> still have 1 week for the notification

<Joshue> Shall we start on the 2nd?

<markel> me too

giorgio: agrees with 1 week

josh: how will the process work?

<markel> yes, watch out with conflicts of interest

SORRY josh: I forgot you were a chair

<markel> SAZ, it's clear to me

<Joshue> no worries

<markel> :-)


<Joshue> yes

<markel> don't worry, we will manage

<Joshue> :-)

saz: can giorgio markel josh make sure that the process is smooth enough

<Joshue> ok

yes, we wil be bery bad guys for thoe that are late

markel: we can meet 1 week after, but the deadline is on the 17th (for the answers); let's make sure that those that are always late like me can do it.

<markel> sure

<markel> yes SAZ you are right

saz: monday 7/11 afternoon is ok?
... for the PC meeting?

<Joshue> Yup, both are fine with me

saz: also wed 9/11

<markel> ok


<markel> any of them 7 or 9 suits me

saz: good

<Joshue> AM is better for me

<shadi> 2-3 Symposium Chairs to meet

<shadi> tentative dates for scientific committee: 7,9,14,15 Nov (whichever are needed)

<shadi> reporting back: 10, 17 Nov

thank you josh

saz: sent out a reminder

giorgio: we should also ping those poeple that were individually "invited"

markel: can the pc member submit?


Evaluating Submissions from Scientific Committee Members -

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/Paper_Selection_Criteria

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/2011/metrics/cfp.html

giorgio: we should use the typical conflict of interest of papers and reviewers.

saz: to write a wiki to document that conflict of interest is to handled with a policy, that additional extra reviewers should be involved if needed
... to vote for the current wiki page for the paper selection and revieing criteria

ok for me

Next Topic Discussion - Redux.

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki7

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/wiki/

saz: we had some activity,people adding ideas for the next topic
... expects something from mario & klaus to add things

<markel> are we running another survey to choose the next topic?

saz: klaus miesemberger from lienz univ in austria
... please populate the wiki with topics
... we will discuss it next week again

markel: will we run another survey?

saz: simon thought of a survey; I see a survey is better when there is a short lit of items and a discussion was run to evaluate them beforehand
... simon thought of a survey; I see a survey is better when there
... is a short lit of items and a discussion was run to evaluate them beforehand

<Joshue> me lol

saz: we drop the item on assets

<markel> ASSEST it's gone!

<markel> finished yesterday

Any Other Business

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ACT/

saz: a new funded project, started on sept 1, multipartnerm,, w3c + others
... goal is to develop guidance for policy makers, an evaluation methodology
... will keep us posted

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/10/27 19:58:46 $