GLD-WG telecon 27 October 2011

27 Oct 2011


See also: IRC log


Bernadette Hyland
Gerald Steeman


<scribe> Scribe: Gerald Steeman

<scribe> ScribeNick: GeraldSteeman

<BartvanLeeuwen> zakim ??p9 is me

<BartvanLeeuwen> ah now it works

<cgueret_home> hi there!

<rreck> is there some incantation to have zakim SIP you?

<Cory> Aakim, aaa is DanG

<PhilA> Hadley is on her way to California for TPAC

Chair is staring meeting

<BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen is connected through Skype

<cygri> agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.10.27#Agenda

<Cory> Agenda item - update on OMG GovDTF and Information Sharing

Recap on SEMIC.EU from PhilA

PhilA: Vocabs on persons and business.

<bhyland> PhilA: Focusing on business & core persons. Vocabs already exist, e.g., FOAF. On address side, INSPIRE Directive is doing interesting work.

PhilA: not trying to reinvite and will work with existing schemas
... TPAC small but successful
... hope to get interaction

TPAC registration for eGov is lower than would have liked.

Bhyland: MS and Google to be there.

<tinagheen> +1 minutes

<cgueret_home> +1

<BenediktKaempgen> +1

<atemezin> +1

Accept minutes: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.10.13

Minutes accepted

<bhyland> Review of Tracker, see http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/track/

<atemezin> is there any open issue?

Action-12 closed

<trackbot> ACTION-12 Archer to request member-only list closed

<BartvanLeeuwen> +1

<BenediktKaempgen> +1

<Biplav> Yes

<Yigal> I do

<simonWall> +1

<Mike> +1

<martin> +1

Bhyland: Data Camp well done
... interesting venue for camp
... Keynote speakers very high caliber <names?> in Open Gov
... centered transparency
... will blog on the camp. Link to come leter
... theme of blockers and supporters ran through the camp

<atemezin> do we have some feedbacks after @bhyland presentation?

<bhyland> Ellen Miller from the Sunlight Foundation spoke about the 5 year old, non-profit which is the "grand daddy of the online open government movement." The foundation takes direction from Justice Louis Brandeis' philosophy that "Sunlight is said to be the best disinfectant." Open government data dvocates and entrepreneurs included Tom Steinberg who described the power of proving simple information that benefits civic society. Tom shined some sunlight on wastefu

bhyland: Open Gov/data to improve lives

<rreck> the US does not explicitly charge for data, we implicitly pay for it (and probably too much). Explicit pay for data might direct it to be better aligned with needs

bhyland: In US academics and smaller institutions not really present in research; Europe has more funding to those communities.
... upshot - lots of smaller contributors.
... would like to see more promotion / help those on the inside of govt.

<bhyland> zakim who is speaking?

bhyland: people were not looking to data.gov for guidance
... would like to show leadership in the community
... showed the community directory in two sessions.

Phil: outreach is important. Egov Interest Group trying it as well.
... all comes done to individuals.

down nor done

Phil: target market is so scattered and you have to find them

<bhyland> PhilA: There are individuals who serve as catalysts. YOu have find those key people, some are on the call, some are in the eGov IG. We have to plug away and be very public.

Phil: keep plugging away and perhaps find smaller events.

<PhilA> GovCamp wiki http://govcamp.org/index.php/Main_Page

Bhyland: GeoSpatial camp was held in June. We should share what is going on at local levels.

<bhyland> PhilA: GovCamp Program has the most traction.

Bhyland: guidance and not sales at these events.

<atemezin> we are planning to organise such a local event here in France...

PhilA: Went to one at MS office; very good.

<bhyland> PhilA: UK Gov't new tech officer showed up to local UK GovCamp event who everyone wanted to know.

<bhyland> Biplav: How is the Asian "data.gov.xx movement" going?

Biplasv: What is the opinion of Asia in Open Gov/Data?

PhilA: I met a contact for the region.

<PhilA> Somnath Chandra of Department of Information Technology, Government of India is in the eGov IG

bhyland: Datagov (US) may have contacts with India.
... Other sources with Africa.

<atemezin> here at ISWC, they presented us a chinees initiative

<atemezin> s/chineese/chinees

<bhyland> SimonWall: Australia had its first GovCamp event recently.

Simon: FirstGov Camp. Challege getting people aware of event.

<BartvanLeeuwen> +1

Simon: agree with individual contacts comments.

<cgueret_home> +1 to publicize the directory

<atemezin> who's speaking?

<bhyland> SimonWall: Open Data movement didn't know the GovCamp event in Canberra was happening… what can we do to improve communication of these events?

<cygri> http://datos.fundacionctic.org/sandbox/catalog/faceted/

<bhyland> cygri is speaking now

Richard: There is a map (linked) may be a good starting point.

<bhyland> PhilA: Follows local people who are involved in open gov communities using Twitter.

PhilA: Something that work is Twitter. I follow local community. One method.

<Cory> +1 for beer

<cgueret_home> beer evening doesn't work in Netherlands

<cgueret_home> :(

PhilA: casual events (i.e beer) can work well too.

bhyland: David Eaves gave advice on putting on a hackathon.

<BenediktKaempgen> BenediktKaempgen has to run. ISWC closing.

bhyland: we are 5 months in the WG. There is a void on getting information / help to those on the inside.
... govt individuals tend to want to get information published and available to public.
... we need to expand our community and fill the void.

<PhilA> It's really important

<Mike> +1

<bhyland> RE: Local organization of events, Check David Eaves wiki on opendataday.org

byland: Suggest organizing local hackathons.

<bhyland> BartvanLeeuwen: Netherlands have a group called "Hack the Government" they are the open gov't data people, sponsor many events around open data (not necessarily Linked Data).

Bart: NL has a group called Hack the Govt. They work to assist in getting information to public.

<bhyland> Bart: This Netherlands group is no longer allowed to call their events "hack" a thons

Bart: getting more min stream.

<cgueret_home> :)

Bart: a contro name may be a good way to start.

<bhyland> I met Drs Imke Vrijling, Policy Advisor in Ministry of the Interior and Kingdom Relations

<bhyland> in the Netherlands.

<bhyland> Bart: Discussed attending government events & help them.

Bart: we should find ways to promote GLD within other groups.

<cgueret_home> +1 for attending hackatons and speak about the group!

<simonWall> +1

<bhyland> 26-Nov-2011 Hack-a-thon event in Netherlands.

<cgueret_home> yup I'm here

Bart: 26 Nov there with be Hack the Govt. May try to speak there.

<atemezin> who is here'

<atemezin> who is speaking?

<bhyland> Cory: with his OMG hat on … there was a meeting recently. We're engaged in UML profile for NIEM.

Cory: There was a meeting Information Sharing monday. Currenty engaged in UML profile. One ingredient.
... Need standards for info sharing equation
... Looking to make this international

bhyland: Please share background info.

<PhilA> The member mailing list is now active

bhyland: DERI meeting. Who will be able to make it? Chime in.

<tinagheen> I won't be able to travel

<Cory> Don't have budget for such travel

<Mike> we will not have travel funding

<BartvanLeeuwen> +1

likely not

<Yigal> Still haven't decided

Attendance at F2F in Galway Ireland

<PhilA> Hard to be sure but I'm hopeful of being there

<martin> I will try to be there

<tobo> 50 / 50 too

Simon: 50/50

<boris> martin alvarez

<cgueret_home> Christophe: say, 70/30

<bhyland> Simon: 50/50%

<martin> thanks, Boris

Richard: Report on RDF F2F.

<Biplav> What happens if some people do not make it?

Richard: End up in Europe or US. And the attendance is swayed on way or the other.

<bhyland> Cygri: RE: RDF F2F, usually held in Europe or US, tendency to alternate. In the latest F2F held last month, we scheduled it for Boston area but also had common European meeting place in UK.

Richard: RDF had parallel meeting US and UK locations. It work fairly well to sync up.

<bhyland> Cygri: They had almost two F2F's happening in parallel in two locations, across the Atlantic. Had video hookup. Acknowledge that it will be hard to get travel for everyone to come to one place.

Richard: Perhaps there could be a east coast US 2nd location.

bhyland: Will send out a poll and get working on logistics.
... time zone are still a challenge.

<cygri> +1 to canberra!

bhyland: please submit agenda items.

<simonWall> Bernadette is right - no problem for me finding useful meetings in Eruope or US, problem is getting there in the first place

Biplav: Would like to learn more about the F2F.

<bhyland> Gerald: NASA is involved in organizing seminar around scientific analysis & reporting. Having their bi-monthly meeting and Bernadette will be speaking on W3C GLD, other speakers will be talking about data sets starting with 1 star Linked Data moving up the data chain.

<bhyland> The talk is on November 3rd so I will not be here next week.

<bhyland> Biplav: Budget will always be a concern. Remote participation to be arranged.

<bhyland> Cygri: Remote participation is OK, not optimal, but better than nothing (Bern paraphrasing).

cygri: Will be opportunty to dial in. Not as nice as in person

<bhyland> Announcement: W3C TPAC next week 31-Oct to 4-Nov 2011.

<bhyland> • https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35125/TPAC2011/registrants#css.

<bhyland> • Jeanne Holme and Phil Archer will be running sessions on eGov IG 31-Oct to 1-Nov 2011. http://www.w3.org/egov/wiki/F2F4, remote participation by GLD WG members is encouraged.

Mind daylight savings!

<simonWall> Looking forward to everyone coming off of summer time

<PhilA> Jeanne put the agenda together but I'm there in Sandro's absence

<simonWall> 2am here

<BartvanLeeuwen> bye

Closing meeting

<cgueret_home> bye

<bhyland> Meeting adjourned.

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/10/27 15:08:07 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/T-pack/TPAC/
FAILED: s/chineese/chinees/
Succeeded: s/<name>/David Eaves/
Found Scribe: Gerald Steeman
Found ScribeNick: GeraldSteeman

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Announcement Bart BartvanLeeuwen BenediktKaempgen Biplasv Biplav Christophe Cory Cory-c Cygri DanG DanGillman Gerald GeraldSteeman Gerald_ IPcaller MacTed Mike P1 P15 P16 P27 P3 P32 P9 Phil PhilA PhilA2 Richard ScribeNick Simon SimonWall Yigal aaaa aabb aacc atemezin bhyland boris byland cgueret_home cgueret_work danbri david martin mhausenblas rreck sandro sandro_testing tinagheen tobo trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://www.w3.org/2011/gld/wiki/Meetings:Telecon2011.10.27
Got date from IRC log name: 27 Oct 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/10/27-gld-minutes.html
People with action items: 

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]