See also: IRC log
<trackbot> Date: 22 September 2011
<janina> Meeting: HTML-A11Y Task Force Teleconference
<janina> Scribe: Steve_Faulkner
<janina> agenda: this
<janina> Rich, Will you be dialing in?
<richardschwerdtfe> yes, it does not like the 2119 passcode
<richardschwerdtfe> did it change?
<janina> Rich, You're listed in last weeks minutes as fallback scribe for today, and the primary scribe isn't here either!
<richardschwerdtfe> well I am using skype
<richardschwerdtfe> it should work fine
<LeonieWatson> scribe: LeonieWatson
JF: Attended the TV on the Web workshop. Lots of stuff about bringing TV to the web. Two key topics, one of interest to our group... Timestamp format.
<richardschwerdtfe> scribe: Rich
<MichaelC> scribe: LeonieWatson
<richardschwerdtfe> scribe: Leonie
JF: The FCC issued their notice of proposed rule making, and there was no specific mention of a timestamp format, only that captionsshould be provided.
The notion of a community group to bring Web TT into the W3C. Mechanics are unclear, some concerns about the group being more than a rubberstamp.
JF: People included in the discussion included David Singer, Silvia Pfeiffer and others.
JB: The VPAC had provided a report to the FCC, and specified criteria for captions.
<richardschwerdtfe> ya think?
JF: My view is that the strength
of a community group is the knowledge and expertise. Moving it
into the W3C will happen and the group will legitamise the
... It was important for the movie and TV people to hear this would be a flexible process.
JS: You were mentioning multiple output devices before the telecon?
JF: Imagine a travelogue
programme, embedded into the stream is some meta data, the TV
is connected to a network so the meta data is transmitted
... Perhaps the person watching the programme had previously visited the city featured in the traveloue. It could be possible for them to be viewing photos of their visit on their iPad, based on the broadcast meta data.
... It could therefore be possible to stream captions in a similar way.
... Wanted to convey accessibility could be exciting, not a constraint.
JS: We're more likely to get technologies made available where there is convergance with the mainstream.
<Judy> s/The VPAC had provided a report to the FCC, and specified criteria for captions. /The FCC has not issued their Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) on captioning yet. For captioning, the FCC Video Programming Access Advisory Committee (VPAAC) has provided a report to the FCC with recommendations regarding captioning. These recommendations were not to lock in a single captioning format for the next decade or so, but rather to specify that the captioning for
JF: There was talk about things like graphic based fonts. Care needs to be taken over these things, because text descriptions would still be needed. A flag at this stage, not a big deal.
JB: Would like to talk offline about this, to see if we can connect the dots.
JF: One idea was to create a
series of task forces to look at different topics.
... A gentleman whose name I forget mentioned a task force relating to accessibility.
<richardschwerdtfe> scribe: Rich
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: we met this Tuesday and we are the majority of the way through the first round.
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: we looked at tagged and untagged bugs
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: our plan is to wrap up next week the last 2 reviews from a task force perspective
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: This one we need more help from the media guys. This is about the video ready state
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: If any issues it would have to do with captions timing
<richardschwerdtfe> janina: or descriptions
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: Let me talk to Silvia and Eric Carlson to see if it is a problem. It may be a problem but I don't think so
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: at this point the a11y keyword is there
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: Thank you for bringing this to my attention
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: the other 2 that we had was for the task force in general
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: this was about DOM core or DOM tree
<richardschwerdtfe> janina: anyone with DOM chops to look at this particular bug
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: Steve or Cynthia
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: Steve could not work on task force for full time but could look at things
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: I would ask both
<richardschwerdtfe> janina; I support that
<richardschwerdtfe> janina: I support that
<richardschwerdtfe> Leonie: this was about adding block level elements in the TH tag
<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: I don't think this is a a problem for most things but headings inside would be a problem
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: Lists would be a problem
<richardschwerdtfe> Rich: how do you groc a list as a table header?
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: so if we have name and address and do we do list name and then list address
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: If someone decides to do markup like that can we restrict it? Should they be allowed to do this?
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: we need to take opinion out of it
RS: What you'd essentially have to do is walk the entire DOm. That's not ideal.
<richardschwerdtfe> JF: we need to detail this
RS: The only time this is likely
to be used is with a layout table.
... You have to ask what is the table header? Don't think it's difficult to defend this.
RS: Maciej requested we separate focus ring into two function calls in the change proposal. I dropped him a line, but haven't had a response yet.
JB: Could you resend and copy me in?
MS: I'll mention it on the WG call, not sure Maciej will be there though.
RS: There's a bug relating to
bounds of an object. Assumptions were made about how ATs work
and the bug was closed.
... As soon as we hear that the change proposal is ok (from Maciej), we'll take the next steps.
JS: In the HTML WG minutes it mentions that Maciej and Paul might be on vacation at the moment?
MS: You do have the option of escalating it.
JB: Which approach will keep it moving most effectively Mike?
MS: It may be better not to go back/forth over it again.
RS: I conveyed the use case and the requirements provided by AISquared.
MS: If there's new information,
it may be better to wait for a response on it.
... On reflection, let's wait another week on this and see where we are next week.
RS: Scroll element into view is another bug.
RS: I've clarified some information with Jonas at Mozilla.
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136 of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/cpations /captions/ Succeeded: s/FTC/FCC/ Succeeded: s/memorandum for proposed role making/notice of proposed rule making/ Succeeded: s/JF: You/JS:You/ FAILED: s/The VPAC had provided a report to the FCC, and specified criteria for captions. /The FCC has not issued their Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) on captioning yet. For captioning, the FCC Video Programming Access Advisory Committee (VPAAC) has provided a report to the FCC with recommendations regarding captioning. These recommendations were not to lock in a single captioning format for the next decade or so, but rather to specify that the captioning for/ Succeeded: s/hearer/header/ Found Scribe: Steve_Faulkner Found Scribe: LeonieWatson Inferring ScribeNick: LeonieWatson Found Scribe: Rich Found Scribe: Leonie Found Scribe: LeonieWatson Found Scribe: Leonie Found Scribe: Rich Scribes: Steve_Faulkner, LeonieWatson, Rich, Leonie WARNING: No "Present: ... " found! Possibly Present: JB JF JS Janina_Sajka John_Foliot Joshue Judy Leonie LeonieWatson MS MichaelC MichaelC_ Michael_Cooper Mike MikeSmith P22 P26 RS Rich Rich_Schwerdtfeger davidb html-a11y inserted janina joined onie_Watson richardschwerdtfe tm trackbot You can indicate people for the Present list like this: <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary <dbooth> Present+ amy Regrets: Cynthia_Shelly Laura_Carlson Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Sep/0083.html Found Date: 22 Sep 2011 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-html-a11y-minutes.html People with action items: WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines. You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]