Text Alternatives Sub-Group of HTML5 Accessibility Task Force

12 Sep 2011

See also: IRC log


John_Foliot, Judy, Lynn, Janina


response(s) on longdesc

judy: Will follow up this week on John's draft

janina, me too

judy: Other responses needed?

john: Matt has updated his no change cp following on suggestion from Sam that the original cp was weak
... either two responses? or single response to all issues?

<JF> Matt's CP: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LongdescZeroEdit

john: Thinking that responding to Matt's specific assertions would be useful

Judy, Usually direct and substantive response is best.

Judy, If concern about past interaction, perhaps 'reflections on' on the TF list first?

John, Want to finish Jonas' response first

John, Can suggest some pointers where the issues where previously responded

Janina, Let's keep it simple

Judy, I'll respond to your draft today, interested to see Janina's terse approach, etc

status/discussion meta generator proposal

Judy, Suggest that we consider this resolved per Text Alternatives Sub-Group, and forward to TF now

status/discussion table summary

status is that Laura believes more use case development would be useful

Judy, Question may be whether Josh's proposal matches the questions from the Chairs table summary decision

Janina, Can look midweek

Janina, Will respond on line

<Judy> ACTION: janina read and respond to josh's table summary comments, and respond to Laura's comments [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/12-text-minutes.html#action01]

status/discussion fig caption

Judy, noting recent interesting suggestions from Steve Faulkner

Judy, Not sure it changes the bottom line, where some number certain can divide between useful and nonuseful alt standins

Judy, Geoff and I have found some more examples that I can share for user feedback, but need to write up a bit of intro

Judy, May be that we need a warning instead of a conformance error

<Judy> Janina, in particular, may be relevant to add warnings for assistive technologies not to read out anything over a certain length

Judy, Janina, can you bring this up at CG?

Janina, Yes

update from bug triage team regarding any incoming text-alternative-related bugs?

<JF> http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=13668

Janina, Maciej interested in this issue when I reported on our TF discussion during the WG telecon last Thursday

Janina, We were uncertain whether this is HTML spec, or CSS spec, etc.

Janina, We set up a subteam to deal with this directly, chaired by John

John, Tab Atkins responded on bug, will have conversation with him after this week when next he's available to discuss

Lynn, Who generates this content?

John, That's the issue. Sometimes UA, sometimes CSS, etc., etc

John, Benjamin Hawkes-lewis suggets generated text is an a11y failure, CSS should not generate

Judy, Judy, How long will this subteam need to come to an opinion?

John, Unsure

Judy, Encouraging John to plan work so that the subteam doesn't become a self-perpetuating long term effort

Janina, Scope may be sufficient to clearly identify the issue. We don't have the "elevator speech" on this yet

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: janina read and respond to josh's table summary comments, and respond to Laura's comments [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/12-text-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/09/26 03:11:53 $