Media Fragments Working Group Teleconference

07 Sep 2011

See also: IRC log


+, raphael, Yves, +28012aabb, silvia, +1.404.978.aacc, Thomas
Erik, Davy


<trackbot> Date: 07 September 2011

<scribe> Scribe: raphael

oups: -)


Yves will book zakim again until the end of the year

Yves: I would like that the features at risk is explicit in the status section of the document
... in particular the entire section on which the group votes for keeping it or not

PROPOSED to accept the minutes of the last telecon: http://www.w3.org/2011/07/27-mediafrag-minutes.html

<tomayac> +1


<silvia> +1

<Yves> +1

minutes accepted



<trackbot> ACTION-234 -- Thomas Steiner to review the "Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures" IETF draft -- due 2011-08-25 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/234

Review: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-media-fragment/2011Aug/0006.html

Raphael: Thomas, could you send this review to IETF on behalf of the group

<tomayac> sure, will do

close ACTION-234

<trackbot> ACTION-234 Review the "Media Type Specifications and Registration Procedures" IETF draft closed


<trackbot> ACTION-231 -- Yves Lafon to check if his grammar is in synch with the latest version of the spec -- due 2011-07-13 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/231

Yves: will do it in 2 weeks


Raphael: we have the nightlies of Firefox
... we have a version of Opera but who has tested it?
... @foolip, how can we download a nightly to test your implementation?

<silvia> I didn't see it … sorry

close ACTION-227

<trackbot> ACTION-227 Announce a link to a nightly implementing part of the media fragment spec closed

<foolip> There is no nightly, only the build I made at OVC last year


<trackbot> ACTION-228 -- Thomas Steiner to develop the validator page using his js library for media fragments -- due 2011-07-20 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2008/WebVideo/Fragments/tracker/actions/228

<silvia> @foolip: is it in the main trunk and will it become part of a release or are there no plans?

<foolip> it's on a branch, there are no immediate plans to do anything with it

@foolip do you think you can made another build and share it with the group?

Thomas: I have filled a entry for Chromium to get Media Frag implemented

<tomayac> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=94368

Thomas: I will look internally who is the best person to lobby

<foolip> raphael, that would be a fair amount of work (making a proper desktop build), would it be valuable?

<tomayac> user script à la greasemonkey

Thomas: I plan to turn my js library in a GreaseMonkey script that would make some browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari?) natively supporting media fragment

@foolip we need to generate test report of existing implementations, so we will need to have some frozen versions at some point

scribe: I understand that generating builds for multiple OS is a great amount of work
... how can we help?
... what is the plan of Opera to include it in the main trunk at some point?

<foolip> ok, for those purposes I think we can consider Opera's implementation to be non-existent for the time being

<foolip> and update it when there is an implementation released on the normal path

<foolip> if we don't go through proper integration, I can't get proper testing, so the results would reflect badly on us, most likely

ok foolip, and you have a schedule plan for proper integration?

Thomas: I will think more about the GreaseMonkey script

4. HTML5 Bugs

See: http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/show_bug.cgi?id=10723

<foolip> raphael, I'll be honest and say that MF is pretty far down the priority list for <video>, after things like <track>, WebRTC, adaptive streaming, multitrack and Audio API

Raphael: I will re-open this bug

<foolip> We won't be taking the lead here, like I had initially hoped.

Raphael: based on Chris nightly implementation

5. AOB

Raphael: the main point of discussion now should be complete the test cases review and mainly generate test cases report
... so that we can see what is well implemented

Silvia: we need now nice web page and applications that use media fragments
... liaise with video sharing platform?

Thomas: I have an application accepted at the DeRiVE workshop
... that detects events in videos
... Raphael and me can brainstorm on a web site that showcase media fragment implementations
... including good and cool web sites
... People seem to focus on the temporal aspect only of the spec
... should we be worried?
... should we ultimately split the spec into temporal aspects vs other aspectS?

Yves: I think you have a good point
... CSS is very keen to use Media Fragments for slicing
... we should focus on this part as well
... perhaps discuss with David Baron for Mozilla, ask Philip for Opera ... or ask Bert from W3C
... if we have multiple partial implementations that all together cover the whole spec, this is fine if the group decides so
... for an audio client, this makes no sense to implement the spatial visual part

Silvia: do we expect a browser to implement the whole spec or only some features?
... I think we should look for features

Raphael: +1!

<tomayac> +1, silvia

Silvia: we need e.g. 2 different implementations for the temporal features

Raphael: other things you would like to discuss

Silvia: I will publicize Media Fragments at OVC

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/09/07 09:37:41 $