Device APIs Working Group Teleconference

31 Aug 2011


See also: IRC log


Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch, Dzung_Tran, SungOk_You, ernesto_jimenez, Wonsuk_Lee, Laszlo_Gombos, Cathy_Chan, Dominique_Hazael-Massieux, Rich_Tibbett, Anssi_Kostiainen, Josh_Soref, Niklas_Widell
Robin_Berjon, Frederick_Hirsch


<trackbot> Date: 31 August 2011

<fjh> ScribeNick: ernesto_jimenez


<fjh> Identity in the Browser Workshop Report, http://www.w3.org/2011/identity-ws/report

<fjh> Paper, "Design and Implementation of a Fine-grained Resource Usage Model for the Android Platform", http://recluze.files.wordpress.com/2007/06/and-usage-nauman10.pdf

fjh: talking about identity on the browser workshop

minutes approval

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Aug/att-0066/minutes-2011-08-24.html

<fjh> proposed RESOLUTION: Minutes from 24 August 2011 are approved

RESOLUTION: Minutes from 24 August 2011 are approved

Battery API

AnssiK: talking about the side effects issue with the battery API
... comments that we are following the DOM Core specification which stays silent about this topic

<fjh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Aug/0100.html

AnssiK: asks if we are going to move the spec forward with a dependency on DOM Core, which is not stable yet

dom: comments we probably shouldn't ignore the feedback from browser vendors in the Geo spec about the side effects

<darobin> [is anne representing Opera on this?]

AnssiK: comments the issue might be punctual, we didn't receive this comment from the webkit guys when they reviewed the spec

<richt> darobin: I'm inclined to ask for further clarification from Anne.

AnssiK: other specs seem to have the same question about side effects and there doesn't seem to be a clear solution

<Zakim> darobin, you wanted to wonder if we should push this discussion to www-dom; also the initEvent question I asked

<richt> perhaps someone wants to reply and ask for that clarification from Anne on-list?

<richt> or some examples.

dom: about the question whether the next publication should be a working draft or a last call
... inclined to publish it as a working draft with a note on the side effects issue

<dom> +1 on trying to get resolution from www-dom

<fjh> +1

<darobin> ISSUE-113?

<trackbot> ISSUE-113 -- AddEventListener in Battery Status has side effects -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/113

darobin: asks if we should send an email to the www-dom mailing list asking about this

<darobin> ACTION: Robin to bring ISSUE-113 to www-dom [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/31-dap-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-448 - Bring ISSUE-113 to www-dom [on Robin Berjon - due 2011-09-07].

darobin: says we could also ask questions about initBatteryStatusEvent()

<richt> darobin: It's not like someone at Opera told Anne to formally send that feedback. It's fundamental design feedback.

<fjh> robin notes cancelable and bubble can be set to true when not meaningful

<richt> we should take it in to account and check we're doing it right.

AnssiK: comments he would like user agents to support both

darobin: is happy to leave it to feedback by implementors

Josh_Soref: says his preference is using only the new interface in the new spec

AnssiK: says that then we'll have to reference DOM Core rather than DOM 3

<darobin> ACTION-448: a) add question about cancelable and bubbles in init*Event and b) usage of DOM3EV vs "DOM Core"

<trackbot> ACTION-448 Bring ISSUE-113 to www-dom notes added

AnssiK: would like to get clarification on the position of whether using DOM3 or DOM Core because both specs are overlapping

darobin: will ask www-dom
... do we want to publish a WD or wait for feedback?
... that way we don't have people reviewing the spec which is not updated
... we can decide next week

<fjh> note - publication of updated battery WD should be decision for next week agenda


<darobin> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Aug/0052.html

darobin: we got some feedback from the protocols and formats WG

<darobin> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Aug/0097.html

darobin: the first feedback is about the need to have some text with the pictures
... I personally replied there's nothing we can do about it because it's the underlying content

<dom> [I think this all relates to Josh's comments on the usability of PortableContacts as a reference]

darobin: the second point is that it's not clear what the type attribute is for

<Josh_Soref> RRSAgent:, make minutes

<Josh_Soref> RRSAgent: make minutes

darobin: says it would be useful what the type attribute for photos is useful for
... says that the information would be a note, nothing normative because we don't control the content

richt: agrees

darobin: talks about feedback on API Invocation via DOM Events

<dom> do we want to keep this, though?

darobin: comments that we didn't invent this, but he agrees it's not accessible

richt: agrees

darobin: suggest that is something we could bring to www-dom

<darobin> ACTION-448: also mention the issue of valid auto-invocation events (these should be common across the platform anyway)

<trackbot> ACTION-448 Bring ISSUE-113 to www-dom notes added

Josh_Soref: comments that one of the working group should be looking into how events should work, maybe the web events group
... he thinks it might be a joint work with ARIA, but doesn't quite know the status

<darobin> Web Events WG's sole deliverable: Web Events 1.0: Multitouch and User-Action Events

dom: comments that it's the Web Events WG the one that is supposed to work on these kind of events (intentional events)
... and points they would be working with WAI

darobin: will ask www-dom

<darobin> http://dev.w3.org/2009/dap/contacts/#accessing-contact-information---example--1

darobin: next feedback about the example UI allows to choose which fields to pick but doesn't allow to select which users to be picked
... the suggestion was to add some checkboxes to the UI to show that a user can select which users to select

<richt> the concept in the UI mockup is the same as selecting multiple files in a file picker...but whatever

<richt> :)

Josh_Soref: points that it depends on the system it might not be checkboxes

<richt> the spec says "and the option to select one or more contacts (as appropriate) from the user interface."

darobin: it's not about whether it should be checkboxes or not, but showing that it should be an option

richt: is OK with changing the UI, but the text already points that out

darobin: the rest are oversights and bugs which were already addressed, we can leave these to the editor

<fjh> this review is entered in LC tracker, LC-2547, http://www.w3.org/2006/02/lc-comments-tracker/43696/WD-contacts-api-20110616/2547

richt: yes, issues 5 and 6 from the email are already fixed and will fix 4

darobin: next thing is feedback from andreas

<fjh> new set of review comments on WebIDL

darobin: going with dictionaries should be ok

<darobin> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2011JulSep/0133.html

darobin: should we declare our own error objects or use existing ones?

<darobin> http://www.w3.org/mid/7493AA2A-A57D-43EB-906A-12C7515F2CE6@wirfs-brock.com

<richt> API error handling seems like something that could benefit from over-arching guidance to all groups.

darobin: there was a post about trying

<richt> to remain consistent.

darobin: about trying to avoid creating too many error objects

<darobin> ISSUE: Should we have different Error objects for each spec, or should we go the way that Exceptions are going and only have one object

<trackbot> Created ISSUE-119 - Should we have different Error objects for each spec, or should we go the way that Exceptions are going and only have one object ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/issues/119/edit .

<darobin> ISSUE-119: this influences Contacts

<trackbot> ISSUE-119 Should we have different Error objects for each spec, or should we go the way that Exceptions are going and only have one object notes added

darobin: it's probably good to keep the discussion on public-script-coord

Feature Permissions API

<darobin> ACTION-436

<darobin> ACTION-436?

<trackbot> ACTION-436 -- WonSuk Lee to provide an example for Permissions -- due 2011-07-27 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/track/actions/436

<darobin> http://www.w3.org/mid/007d01cc615c$e3675fb0$aa361f10$%25lee@samsung.com

darobin: wonsuk provided an example which hasn't had a response yet
... it should be reviewed

<darobin> ACTION Laszlo to reply to http://www.w3.org/mid/007d01cc615c$e3675fb0$aa361f10$%25lee@samsung.com

<trackbot> Created ACTION-449 - Reply to http://www.w3.org/mid/007d01cc615c$e3675fb0$aa361f10$%25lee@samsung.com [on Laszlo Gombos - due 2011-09-07].

Josh_Soref: I will provide feedback too

darobin: lgombos have you had time to update the WD?

lgombos: not yet, I might have it in a week or two

<AnssiK> [it may be a good practice to jslint.com any example code, even if in the tolerate * mode]

darobin: anything else on feature permissions?

<fjh> have started adding additional last call comments into last call tracker


<Josh_Soref> RRSAgent: make minutes

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: Robin to bring ISSUE-113 to www-dom [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/31-dap-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/08/31 14:56:09 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/DOM3/DOM Core/
Succeeded: s/Tree/3/
Succeeded: s/Oh, no wonder my email bounced.//
Succeeded: s/COM/DOM/
Succeeded: s/kind of events/kind of events (intentional events)/
Succeeded: s/we can leave this/we can leave these/
Succeeded: s/Feature Permission API/Feature Permissions API/
Succeeded: s/into s/into last call tracker/
Found ScribeNick: ernesto_jimenez
Inferring Scribes: ernesto_jimenez
Present: Robin_Berjon Frederick_Hirsch Dzung_Tran SungOk_You ernesto_jimenez Wonsuk_Lee Laszlo_Gombos Cathy_Chan Dominique_Hazael-Massieux Rich_Tibbett Anssi_Kostiainen Josh_Soref Niklas_Widell
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2011Aug/0096.html
Found Date: 31 Aug 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/08/31-dap-minutes.html
People with action items: robin

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]