WCAG 2.0 Evaluation Methodology Task Force Teleconference Meeting

18 Aug 2011


See also: IRC log


Vivienne, Shadi, Richard, Katie, Liz, Kathy, Alistair, Eric, Tim, Leonie, Denis, Samuel, Emmanuelle, Detlev


Welcome and logistics

SA: Orienting everyone to W3C meetings and processes.

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2002/01/UsingZakim

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2001/12/zakim-irc-bot

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2002/03/RRSAgent

SA: Zakim is the conference bridge we use. You can give commands for muting/unmuting, adding/removing yourself to/from a queue to speak.
... We use IRC bots (automated programmes that help run meetings). RRSAgent helps with recording the minutes for example.

KS: Are those minutes already available?

SA: The minutes should be available from the link just displayed by RRSagent (see above)

VC: Had trouble connecting through xLight SIP client.

SA: Responding to general IRC/Zakim questions.

Recap of the proposed work

SA: Hopefully everyone is up to date with the TF work statement.

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/2011/eval/eval-tf

SA: Any questions or comments about the work proposed for teh TF?

<vivienne> it looks great to me

<sds> no, seems good for me


<Tim> Are we going to use any of the old TSDTF work in our new committee?

Detlev: asked about multitude of types of evaluation and should this all be incorporated in one statement?

Shadi: stated that this is something we'll be looking it

<LeonieWatson> DF: Will we be looking at policy and training?

Detlev: asked about methodology, scope, whether it's a one-time assessment, selecting pages etc

<LeonieWatson> DF: There is often more to a methodology.

Shadi: that is beyond the scope for this project

<LeonieWatson> SA: My feeling is that this could be beyond the scope of what we're doing.

Tim: is any other work available that we can use?

<LeonieWatson> TB: Is any of the previous work that's been done useful to the TF's activity?

SA: We'll be focusing on the overall approach for evaluating a website.
... Right now the idea is to develop an overall proceedure, how do I select pages/representative pages, advice on testing, and how do I aggregate those results.

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/2011/eval/

SA: There are links to related WAI activities on the TF homepage.

KHS: So we're preparing for another group to create test suites for evaluation tools?

SA: Yes.
... Another piece of W3C formality - We're a task force, under the umbrella of two working groups. Traditionally TFs are not decision making bodies, so our work will be signed off by our parent working groups.

<dboudreau> So, the work of this tf is mainly to work on procedures and methodology, while test suites are to be developed in the wg themselves, is that correct?

EV: I've been at the Accessibility Foundation in the Netherlands, and worked on the UWEM accessibility methodology a couple of years back.
... Idea is to come up with a unified web evaluation methodology.

<shadi> to denis: yes -- but we may identify that there is a need for additional guidance on testing in the context of conformance evaluation

Round the table introductions

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=48225&public=1

SA: Quick 30 second introductions from everyone.

<shadi> Tim Boland

<shadi> Denis Boudreau

<shadi> Vivienne Conway

<shadi> Michael Cooper

<shadi> Detlev Fischer

<shadi> Elizabeth Fong

<shadi> Vincent Francois

<shadi> Alistair Garrison

<shadi> Emmanuelle Gutierrez y Restrepo

<shadi> Katie Haritos-Shea

<shadi> [Kerstin Probiesch]

<shadi> [Roberto Scano]

<shadi> Samuel Sirois

<shadi> Eric Velleman

<shadi> [Votis Konstantinos]

<shadi> Kathleen Wahlbin

<shadi> Richard Warren

<shadi> Leonie Watson

<vincent> To illustrate our voice exchanges : http://www.w3.org/2000/09/dbwg/details?group=48225&public=1&order=standing

Overview on upcoming schedule

<shadi> http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/2011/eval/eval-tf#timeline

SA: We need to start looking at requirements.
... We're all agreed that a common methodology is needed, but there are lots of open questions.

SA: Over the next four weeks we'll put together a clear set of requirements.
... Weekly telecon will be at the same time each week, and will use the same pass code/IRC channel.

<Detlev_Fischer> http://www.bitvtest.eu/eval-tf-problems

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/08/18 21:50:10 $