Web Events WG Voice Conference

09 Aug 2011


See also: IRC log


Art_Barstow, Matt_Brubeck, Olli_Pettay, Dzung_Tran, Doug_Schepers, Cathy_Chan, Sangwhan_Moon


<smaug> is there some voip number or such to which I could call using skype?

<scribe> ScribeNick: ArtB

<scribe> Scribe: Art

Date: 9 August 2011

Tweak Agenda

AB: draft agenda posted on August 8 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0020.html. One change I want to make is to move the Examples List topic after Issue-16.
... any change requests?

[ None ]


AB: any short announcements today?

Issue-19: Align initTouchEvent parameters with Webkit

AB: Issue-19 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/19 has open Action-55 for Laszlo http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/55
... Laszlo is still unavailable so we will skip this topic
... I think we should address this before LC

MB: after our last call, I commented on the webkit bug

… re some alignment

… I haven't received any feedback on what I added to that webkit bug

AB: thanks for following up on that

<mbrubeck> https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60612

Issue-16: Should the spec be silent or prescriptive re Object Identity

AB: Issue-16 http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/16 has open Action-53 by Doug http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/53. Sangwhan submitted some comments on August 3 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0015.html
... June 14 is the last time we discussed this issue http://www.w3.org/2011/06/14-webevents-minutes.html#item04

DS: no progress on that action

… plan to work on it this week

AB: this is somewhat related to the question about the list definitions for Target Events

DS: would it be useful to try to do web searches on this issue?

MB: yes, I've been using Google Code searches

… it covers a lot of OSS code

… but only covers code in public repos and doesn't cover everything on the Web

AB: do you need anything from the rest of use Doug re this issue?

DS: no; just need to do the analysis

MB: I disagree with Sangwhan's latest message

… I think the assert in example 2 of Issue-16 should fail

… I will respond on the list

… If they are all immutable the question of shared identity doesn't matter so much

AB: yes, please do that

DT: have we looked at the Webkit impl?

DS: I think someone took an action

<mbrubeck> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011AprJun/0121.html

MB: laszlo has open action-46


<trackbot> ACTION-46 -- Laszlo Gombos to laszlo to follow-up re Object Identity implementation in WebKit -- due 2011-05-17 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/46

<shepazu> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011AprJun/0121.html

AB: so it appears then that Laszlo agrees with Matt re the 2nd example

DS: I agree with Matt

… thus there is no need for me to respond

… if Matt responds to Sangwhan, I think that will clarify things

AB: you propose Doug that action-53 be close?

DS: yes, I think we've now addressed the issue

CC: do any changes need to be made to the spec to clarify this?

DS: yes; good point

… need a different action for it though

AB: what's the action

<scribe> ACTION: Doug propose spec text to address the resolution of issue-16 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/09-webevents-minutes.html#action01]

DS: I'll do that after Sangwhan has responded to Matt

Examples of lists

AB: Sangwhan checked in some examples to complete Action-57 http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/default/touchevents.html
... Cathy's sent comments re Sangwhan's examples: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0018.html
... Tran sent an example to the list http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0019.html

CC: I reviewed SM's examples

<trackbot> Created ACTION-60 - Propose spec text to address the resolution of issue-16 [on Doug Schepers - due 2011-08-16].

… it raised the question about what targetTouches actually refers to

… There appears to be a discrepancy in the spec and the example

MB: I agree with Cathy's interpretation of the spec

… and I need to test the examples in running code to verify

CC: I looked at Safari doc

… it is a bit ambiguous

… I'll look for a link

<Cathy> http://developer.apple.com/library/safari/#documentation/UserExperience/Reference/TouchEventClassReference/TouchEvent/TouchEvent.html

CC: it says targetTouches "A collection of Touch objects representing all touches associated with this target.


MB: I can take an action to test the examples

AB: thanks Matt

<scribe> ACTION: brubeck test Sangwhan's list examples against implementations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/09-webevents-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-61 - Test Sangwhan's list examples against implementations [on Matt Brubeck - due 2011-08-16].

AB: Cathy also noted there is no way to determine how many touch points are currently on a particular element

CC: yes; is that an issue?
... so app needs to keep track?

MB: yes

<mbrubeck> using touchenter and touchleave (once those are implemented)

OP: you can also use coordinates from the touch point element

<smaug> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom-view/#dom-document-elementfrompoint

SM: we may want to add some heuristics

… about number of touches

… it can be a problem in the long run

MB: the main reason behind the current language is to align with Webkit

… if we want to change that, we need to be careful

SM: we can also think about adding new things in the next version of the spec

AB: I think our working assumption is for v1 to match what has already been implemented
... Tran submitted an example

TD: I tried my example on Safari and phone with Webkit

… it's up to the group if we want to do anything with my example

… want to add some additional features like rotation

SM: like to have other features included

… but would be good to make it a bit shorter

… and just focus on the minimal amount of code

TD: it's fine with me if the Editors want to change it

SM: OK; I'll make some mods and then run them by you

TD: ok; sounds good

… do we want to introduce a Rotation example?

MB: I have some comments that I will send to the list

SM: the v1 spec doesn't have rotation, correct?

MB: yes, that's correct

Preparing Touch Events v1 spec for Last Call WD

AB: one action blocking LC is Doug's Action-56 "Update the Touch Event spec to use markup to facilitate

test case extraction" http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/actions/56

DS: my f2f meeting and other high priority stuff got in the way

… should be done this week

… would appreciate it if Matt would ping me about this ;-)!

<smaug> we can all kick shepazu :)

DS: this shouldn't stop us from creating tests, right

AB: yes; good point!

… there is always an Open Action for everyone to Create Tests!

DS: after I complete action-56, it would be good to assign blocks of assertions to individuals

… does that seem reasonable?

DT: think it's a good idea

<smaug> +1

<sangwhan> +1

DS: v1 will be limited to features already implemented

… does it appear there will be at least 2 impls for each feature?

MB: I think the main interop issue is going to be the params for initTouchEvent

… Issue-19

… Other than that, I think all of the other v1 features are interoperable

DS: I ask, because that will block our progress toward Recommendation

AB: perhaps during LC review period we can do some analysis about what has been implemented

DS: we could conceivably skip CR if we have all features implemented in the LC time frame

… assuming we have the tests in place

AB: want to spend some time on the spec's 2 "red block issues"

… first one has to do with aligning with InkML

<Cathy> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/default/touchevents.html#attributes

AB: have we already said this is out of scope for v1?

DS: yes

SM: yes

AB: so this will be resolved when we make the spec split?

DS: yes

AB: ok, the 2nd red block issue is "What are units of radiusX/Y? CSS Pixels?

SM: that is also moved to v2

DS: correct

CC: yes

MB: the spec actually seems to address it, right above the issue

DS: I had an answer at one point of time but wanted more feedback

AB: so radiusX will not be in v1?

DS: yes, that's correct

MB: yes
... speaking of v1

… I am all set to make the split

… was waiting for Doug

… but won't now

… I will create a v1 branch

… and the trunk will continue on for v2

… and we can apply changes to both branches as needed

SM: sounds good

AB: +1

DS: so we can split now and still apply a changeset to both?

MB: yes, we can do that

… some of the patches may need to be done manually

… I don't expect the two branches to ever reunite

… v1 will stop changing as the spec freezes

SM: for v1, we should do some testing before stripping out features

DS: that implies we have the tests

… but we aren't quite there yet

… until we get the tests

… it's a good idea and will be done during the implementation phase

Any Other Business (AOB)

AB: August 30 is the next time I can make a call

DS: if we get enough actions and work done before then, I can chair a call

AB: that works for me

<sangwhan> WFM

AB: meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: brubeck test Sangwhan's list examples against implementations [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/09-webevents-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Doug propose spec text to address the resolution of issue-16 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/09-webevents-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/08/09 15:59:20 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found ScribeNick: ArtB
Found Scribe: Art
Present: Art_Barstow Matt_Brubeck Olli_Pettay Dzung_Tran Doug_Schepers Cathy_Chan Sangwhan_Moon
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JulSep/0020.html
Found Date: 09 Aug 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/08/09-webevents-minutes.html
People with action items: brubeck doug propose spec text

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]