HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

23 Jun 2011

See also: IRC log


LJW, Leonie, JF


<trackbot> Date: 23 June 2011

<paulc> is there an agenda posted for the A11Y TF meeting?

<paulc> ok

<MikeSmith> anybody have specific items you'd like to add to the agenda?

<MikeSmith> action-24?

<trackbot> ACTION-24 -- Steve Faulkner to raise bug on ARIA being restricted to a11y -- due 2010-04-13 -- CLOSED

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/track/actions/24

<paulc> Do you need to tell Zakim which meeting this is?

<paulc> It appears in my log that Zakim still thinks this is the Media Subteam Teleconference.

<MikeSmith> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Scribe_List

<scribe> scribe: LJW

<MikeSmith> scribe: Leonie

<scribe> scribe: LJW

<JF> zakin, who's here?

<MikeSmith> scribenick: Leonie

media update

JF: We had an interesting call yesterday, revisiting the poster alt issue (now referred to as pause video).

<MikeSmith> we are now using the term "paused media" to refer to what we had been called the "poster alt issue"

JF: We were fortunate to have Kelly Ford, Jim Allen and Jean Spellman join us. We got some possible ideas on paper on how to solve this problem. We wanted very clear understanding of the UX.
... We didn't come up with a definitive result, but I think the UA people have a more clear understanding of the issue we're grappling with. I emailed out an update of the issue to the HTML A11y list.
... The concern with ARIA being a CR is that it's hard to re-open it at this stage.
... The difficulty is that to use ARIA means that the description is flattened out, without semantic structure.
... The way aria-describedby works is to reference an id that could be on a paragraph, div or something else.
... When the fragment string is pulled back, any HTML contiined is returned as flat text.

MS: That sounds broken to me.

JF: Correct. It's something that hasn't been fully clarified in the ARIA spec, but it's in CR.
... So the behaviour hasn't been defined anywhere, and so the question becomes *where should it be defined?

MS: We could let things proceed with ARIA, and try to fix things at a later point.

JF: We could, but if the browsers cannot interpret the fragment strig properly, our solution is dead in the water.
... Another possibility is to try and get it into UAAG 2.0 perhaps.

MS: I'm less familiar with the UAAG spec and what it normatively definess...

JF: I've posed the question to Jim and Jean. Judy, can you shed some light?

JB: You've explained it well John in terms of where we want to be, but I would least like to disrupt a spec that's in CR.
... I would prefer it if these solutions were addressed as definitively as can be.

JF: The place where we have a problem right now, is with the implimentation that browsers are doing.

MS: Someone needs to file a bug...

JF: I'd need to go and check, but I eblieve there may already be a bug.

MS: I'd file the bug, send an email to list and flag up with the people who represent browser vendors and ask for comment/feedback on the bug.

Text alternatives subteam update

JB: We checked the status of items being worked on, table summary was reassigned. There was some discussion about the thread on the alternate proposal that's expected on longdesc.
... Work is still pending on metaname generator and figcaption. The current approach on figcaption is to have the validator throw an author warning, and to draw up some use cases that exemplify the problem.

MS: It would be good to restart some of the discussion with the wider TF.

JB: I'm hoping to get something out o the list.

Canvas subteam update

RS: We're looking at how we get the bounding dimensions of an object on your screen so a magnifier can correct it. We're trying to tie this into the hit testing we spoke about.

<MikeSmith> Paul Bakaus commented on the importance of hit testing

RS: We could do this by taking the context for canvas and sub classing it with a drawing object that has the same properties.
... Charles put out a proposal to suggest creating drawing paths and associating them with elements of the canvas sub tree. Frank suggested putting the bounds on the DOM elements, but we're trying to keep the same DOM that we have for the rest of the spec.
... Do we need to create issues for these things now? Is this the process for after last call?
... Should I reuse the same bug as before?

MS: Yes, then we have the context on it.

RS: Ian has asked not to be the editor of canvas, so who is the editor?

MS: We don't have an editor at this moment.

JF: I nominate Rich!

MS: Ultimately it's up to the chairs, the responsibility from here is on the chairs and they've been having discussions about it.

JB: I'm hoping the chairs are taking into consideration the benefit of having someone involved with the accessibility of this.

RS: I'd push to be co-editor in that case, not sole editor.

MS: The chairs will make an announcement, it hasn't fallen between the cracks.
... The hit testing conversation doesn't seem to have progressed Rich?

RS: I'd like to see the browser vendors become more involved in this conversation.

MS: This is useful outside of the context of accessibility as well.

RS: Gettings thing done in CSS will take a long time.

JB: Perhaps those of us who intersect with Frank or David could encourage them?

RS: Defects have to be logged by 3rd Aug, is that right Mike?

MS: LC comments, yes. It would be good to get them in before then, but if we can't it goes back through the same process again.

RS: I'm seeing people asking bugs, are we really entering comments? What's the correct process?

MS: It depends on the purpose. We say bug because that what it's referred to in bugzilla.

<MikeSmith> Maciej

MS recapping the aria-describedby content flattening issue.

<JF> Revised Timeline and New Bug Priority Policy - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jun/0315.html

RS: I can check on that.

<JF> Expectations when adding the TrackerRequest keyword - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Jun/0316.html

JF: This is what we were talking about yesterday on the media call.
... The key overview is in the email I sent to the list yesterday.
... We need to be sure the string retains the markup.

<MikeSmith> oops

RS: The only time that can't happen is if the string is hidden.

JF: I'm concerned when we say hidden... hideen to who? SIghted users or hidden from everyone?
... Is alt text hidden? I don't see it, it's in the DOM, it's not visible on screen.

RS: To do what you want to do, we'll need to do what we're doing with canvas. We'll have to make it available so the AT can process it.

JF: Rich, we really need you to help us with this conversation.

RS: I'll be there on the media call.
... What I'd like to see you do... if you want to hide the content, I would make it so it can be rendered visible as an option. That way you can have the reference, but once you rendere it... this would also help people with a learning disability, or people curious to see the text.

HTML5 LC spec-review status update

<MikeSmith> scribe: JF

Leonie: has started reviewing the spec and has started a wiki page

4.5.3 pre element has some issues

this was first identified by gregory

MS: don't recall the issue either

if there are issues there we should get them into the bug system

<Leonie> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Spec_Review/Block

Leonie: the issue is that information that is conveyed via visual layout by using pre is not being conveyed to AT

MS: file the bug sooner rather than later

we can update info as it evolves

Leonie: the other issue is about the fig element

<MikeSmith> 4.5.13 on div

question is about using div is a core accessibility issue

<MikeSmith> "Authors are strongly encouraged to view the div element as an element of last resort, for when no other element is suitable. Use of the div element instead of more appropriate elements leads to poor accessibility for readers and poor maintainability for authors."

<MikeSmith> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/grouping-content.html#the-div-element

MS: this is a note very close to the top, it is more of an authoring guidance issue

JB: we should perhaps look at this more closely next week?

suggest adding it to next week's agenda

MS: as I look at this, I wonder what is the accessibility problem - needs elaboration

JB: thanks to Leonie for raising this, we need to look at this further

MS: we have been postponing Last Call spec review to top of agenda for next week

anyone who has taken an assignment please be ready for next week

MS: need to wrap up, anything else?

<MikeSmith> adjourned

<MikeSmith> thanks everybody

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.136 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/06/23 16:06:19 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.136  of Date: 2011/05/12 12:01:43  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/pus/push/
Found Scribe: LJW
Found Scribe: Leonie
Inferring ScribeNick: Leonie
Found Scribe: LJW
Found ScribeNick: Leonie
Found Scribe: JF
Inferring ScribeNick: JF
Scribes: LJW, Leonie, JF
ScribeNicks: Leonie, JF

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: JB JF Janina John_Foliot Judy Leonie Lynn_Holdsworth MS MichaelC Michael_Cooper Mike MikeSmith P22 RS Rich_Schwerdtfeger html-a11y inserted joined onie_Watson paulc richardschwerdtfe scribenick trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Regrets: Marco_Ranon

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 23 Jun 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/06/23-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]