See also: IRC log
(will send with updates)
(will send with updates)
(will send with updates)
<scribe> scribe: Judy
<scribe> ACTION: jan rewrite and resend edits referring to atag [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/04/01-gallery-minutes.html#action01]
<scribe> ACTION: judy add in jan's atag edits [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/04/01-gallery-minutes.html#action02]
judy sends links to updated wiki pages with instructions, and testing, sections
jan notes that his edits are missing
jan will refind or resend, judy will enter them
judy: note changes in request for
... Jamal and Debby, can you check this on behalf of your agencies?
Debby: we're about to announce two other accessibility challenges, may be for specific document formats
Jamal: possible for CIO Council Accessibility group to host?
Debby: thought couldn't
<Jan> sorry it's 2pm and I have to go.
<Andi> judy: from meeting last July - template that supports accessibility and is available through a commercial tool might be useful as a model for somebody developing another commercial tool or an open source tool
(and from above: Judy will check about the agency hosting question, and check with Elizabeth and Karen as needed)
<Andi> peter: might have commercial tools we would want to let the world know about, might need to change internal communication if this is only for things that are freely available
<Andi> john?: think that we do want to include things that are available commercially
<Andi> judy: need to make sure we have licensing information that makes sense so that we get the right info
<Andi> peter: there is a continuum - jquery is open source, some things are available under multiple licenses, might have something proprietary but free, might have something completely commercial
Currently states: "Verify that you have the legal right to submit this work, and specify the license under which the material can be used by others. "
<Andi> judy: need to confirm that we have the right language because will be distributing this to agencies for review
<Andi> judy: may throw an extra cycle or two into the review/approval process
<Andi> peter: suggest "templates and many of the components are freely available" - would encompass many of the other things we've been talking about
<Andi> peter: just because you can view it doesn't mean you have the license to use it
<Andi> peter: some are client-server based where the client bit doesn't work without the server bit
<Andi> judy: similar things are needed in many different settings - the gallery submissions were meant to inspire similar implementations in other tools
<Andi> judy: will that be a problem?
<Andi> andi: we call that "contamination" where you look at something and could get into trouble for implementing something similar
<Andi> cynthia: looking at shareable content that runs on Windows platforms
<Andi> cynthia: think there is value in sharing commercial widgets - some people just want to download a widget and use it
<Andi> cynthia: looking at submitting purpose built content - build specifically for the gallery and not used anywhere else
<Andi> cynthia: don't think it makes sense to limit it to non-commercial things
<Andi> peter: GPL license says you have to share derivative works
<Andi> peter: never seen any contamination cases arising out of GPL
<Andi> peter: by making a license recommendation, we would be giving psuedo-legal advice
<Andi> jamal: LGPL allows use of component - if you modify it, you have to make the modified component available
<Andi> judy: think we need a sub-group to look at legal issues - Peter and Jamal volunteer
<Andi> debbie: would like SSA people to start reviewing the drafts
<scribe> ACTION: judy run some questions around on the license questions [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/04/01-gallery-minutes.html#action03]
<Andi> debby: just my team initially - won't be focusing on the IP issue
<Andi> peter: think having commercial things included as long as they are properly identified is good
<Andi> judy: still want most of the widgets to be free
<Andi> peter: if part of audience is US gov't agencies who want to make their websites accessible, that may be okay. They purchase software all the time.
<Andi> jamal: if there are commercial offerings, that could be a problem for challenge.gov - it's a governnment site that may not want to be seen as advertising commercial offerings
<Andi> judy: asks Jamal to participate in joint call with challenge.gov and hopes they will agree to follow up with Judy without Jamal
<korn1> Andi: yes...
<korn1> judy: reactions to the Description
<korn1> peter: only concern is how we treat "free"
<korn1> judy: things may work for the gallery but NOT on challenge.gof
<korn1> judy: challenge.gov is a "collection front-end"
<korn1> Debby: looks good to me.
<korn1> judy: may need to do something like get a "roughly OK sense" from FCC, SSA, and W3C. And then hand it to OSTP
<korn1> judy: counting on OSTP making the announcement - and they may need to tweek a little bit
<korn1> judy: standard response to "when" is "two weeks from now". Has been for many weeks now...
<korn1> judy: truly was hoping it would be ~2 weeks from now. But the license questions now may put that into question
<korn1> debby: will get off the call now, and will ask Frank to take a look at this stuff
<korn1> judy: trying to figure out what the resourcing needs might be - in case anyone can stay for a few minutes about that
<korn1> judy: John will take another pass @ templates; can launch w/out them, but strongly prefer to have them
<korn1> judy: Jan Richards & Judy working on a logo for the gallery itself; should be showing up...
<korn1> judy: a simplified combination of some of the Fluid-type image elements, maybe others - a "mini-gallery"
<korn1> judy: trying to figure out what kinds of resources would sustain this - eval help, outreach, ... any thoughts/reactions are welcome
<korn1> judy: thanks to all; expect to meet again next Friday - will send mail on that
<korn1> judy: effusive praise to Peter for doign final minutes work
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135 of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20 Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/ Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00) Succeeded: s/debbie/debby/ Found Scribe: Judy Inferring ScribeNick: judy Default Present: +1.703.602.aaaa, Andi_Snow_Weaver, Judy, +1.202.418.aabb, Jan, Peter, Cynthia_Shelly, Debby Present: +1.703.602.aaaa Andi_Snow_Weaver Judy +1.202.418.aabb Jan Peter Cynthia_Shelly Debby WARNING: No meeting title found! You should specify the meeting title like this: <dbooth> Meeting: Weekly Baking Club Meeting Got date from IRC log name: 01 Apr 2011 Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/04/01-gallery-minutes.html People with action items: edits jan judy referring resend rewrite WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines. You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]