W3C

- DRAFT -

HTML Weekly Teleconference

31 Mar 2011

See also: IRC log

Attendees

Present
Regrets
Gregory_Rosmaita
Chair
SV_MEETING_CHAIR
Scribe
mjs

Contents


<pimpbot> planet: Christos: Getting smoother animated web content while reducing CPU usage <11http://blog.chromium.org/2011/03/getting-smoother-animated-web-content.html>

<pimpbot> planet: Chris Pearce: HTML5 Video painting performance statistics in Firefox 5 <11http://blog.pearce.org.nz/2011/03/html5-video-painting-performance.html>

<pimpbot> planet: A Googler: Getting smoother animated web content while reducing CPU usage <11http://blog.chromium.org/2011/03/getting-smoother-animated-web-content.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 12399] Expose statistics for media elements <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0847.html>

<pimpbot> planet: Jesper Kristensen: Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Minutes: 2011-03-30 <11http://blog.mozilla.com/meeting-notes/archives/523>

<pimpbot> planet: Christos: Getting smoother animated web content while reducing CPU usage <11http://blog.chromium.org/2011/03/getting-smoother-animated-web-content.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 12398] Tokenizer stuck in ScriptDataDoubleEscapedState <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0848.html>

<pimpbot> planet: A Googler: Getting smoother animated web content while reducing CPU usage <11http://blog.chromium.org/2011/03/getting-smoother-animated-web-content.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 12101] "Structured clone" can be passed an object with a hostile getter that returns an object identical to itself; "structured clone" does not prevent such an infinite regression. <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0849.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 12404] Structured Clone and Arrays (implementation notes and clarifications sought) <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0851.html> 4** [Bug 12404] New: Structured Clone and Arrays (implementation notes and clarifications sought) <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0850.html>

<pimpbot> planet: Christos: Getting smoother animated web content while reducing CPU usage <11http://blog.chromium.org/2011/03/getting-smoother-animated-web-content.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: "[Bug 12405] There's a problem with overlaying a sign-language video and using native controls, because the overlaid video overlaps the native controls" (2 messages in thread) <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0854.html> 4** [Bug 12405] New: There's a problem with overlaying a sign-language video and using native controls, because the overlaid video overlaps the native controls <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/P

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 12404] Structured Clone and Arrays (implementation notes and clarifications sought) <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0855.html>

<pimpbot> changes: : typo <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-diffs/2011Mar/0119.html> 4** : clarify <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-diffs/2011Mar/0118.html> 4** : textarea maxlength and wrap. <http://www.w3.org/mid/AANLkTin+=T1HUjK1B4JLnpW2ne2+emFz5RtFSWQ63UCw@mail.gmail.com> <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-diffs/2011Mar/0117.html>

<pimpbot> changes: : set date to 5th <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-diffs/2011Mar/0121.html> 4** : update the document with changes since last publication <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-diffs/2011Mar/0120.html>

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 11096] s element still listed as absent <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0856.html>

<trackbot> Date: 31 March 2011

hello

I am having trouble dialing in

Zakim keeps kicking me

ah, there we go

<rubys> start in another minute or so?

action items due

SR: First item - ACTION-29

<MikeSmith> action-29?

<trackbot> ACTION-29 -- Philippe Le H├ęgaret to follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring -- due 2011-03-31 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/actions/29

<pimpbot> Title: ACTION-29: Follow up on the idea of a free-software-compatible license for a note on HTML authoring - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: I don't hear phillippe, but we do have some news
... we have approval from the PSIG to send materials today to the HTML WG
... for the first time, the WG will see license options 1 and 2
... we will do a survey late in April
... Maciej will be sending out a note about this shortly after this call
... any questions or comments?

new issues this week

SR: none

items closed last week

SR: many issues that closed last week
... first is ISSUE-131 caret-location-API

ISSUE-131?

<trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-131: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: a second proposal was received, and a survey was sent out
... ISSUE-145 codecs-vs-octets, counter-proposals were due by Mar 22
... no proposal received

ISSUE-145?

<trackbot> ISSUE-145 -- use of "codecs" parameter -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/145

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-145: use of "codecs" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: next is ISSUE-152 multitrack-media-resources

ISSUE-152?

<trackbot> ISSUE-152 -- Handling of additional tracks of a multitrack audio/video resource -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/152

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-152: Handling of additional tracks of a multitrack audio/video resource - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: we have had four proposals received
... have had a request to delay this

Janina: we talked about this in the TF telecon
... we are working well and making excellent progress
... there is also significant concern with laying this beyond Last Call
... there is consensus that additional weeks will let us resolve this down to fewer proposals

SR: we have definitely heard this input and are taking it seriously
... chairs will get together later today
... any other comments on ISSUE-152?
... next is ISSUE-155 table-border

ISSUE-155?

<trackbot> ISSUE-155 -- make <table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"> conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/155

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-155: make conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: we received a second proposal on that one
... ISSUE-148 charset-detect

ISSUE-148?

<trackbot> ISSUE-148 -- Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/148

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-148: Algorithm for detecting the charset="" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: proposal was adopted by consensus
... ISSUE-27 rel-ownership

ISSUE-27?

<trackbot> ISSUE-27 -- @rel value ownership, registry consideration -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/27

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-27: @rel value ownership, registry consideration - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: the poll originally closed last week; now extended to April 1, which is tomorrow
... next up, ISSUE-122 shallott-example

ISSUE-122?

<trackbot> ISSUE-122 -- alt text and description for Lady of Shalott example -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/122

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-122: alt text and description for Lady of Shalott example - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: we had a straw poll for objections, closed MArch 24
... ISSUE-161 accessibility-api-mapping

ISSUE-161?

<trackbot> ISSUE-161 -- Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/161

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-161: Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: no proposal received in response to the call for counter-proposals

items closing next week

SR: ISSUE-144 conforming-u

conforming-u?

er

ISSUE-144?

<trackbot> ISSUE-144 -- <u> should be conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/144

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-144: should be conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: we did get a proposal
... and finally ISSUE-32 table-summary

ISSUE-32?

<trackbot> ISSUE-32 -- how to provide a summary of a table, e.g. for unsighted navigation? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/32

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-32: how to provide a summary of a table, e.g. for unsighted navigation? - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

straw poll for objections closed March 28

SR: issue-145 codecs-vs-octet

ISSUE-145?

<trackbot> ISSUE-145 -- use of "codecs" parameter -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/145

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-145: use of "codecs" parameter - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: call for consensus closed yesterday

I'm hearing a lot of noise on the line

can't hear the chair

SR: next up is ISSUE-131 caret-location-api
... straw poll for objections closes today

ISSUE-131?

<trackbot> ISSUE-131 -- Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/131

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-131: Should we add a caret location API to canvas, or is the focus API sufficient? - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: next up is ISSUE-161 accessibilit-api-mappings

ISSUE-161?

<trackbot> ISSUE-161 -- Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/161

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-161: Create document defining mappings from html elements to platform accessibility apis - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: call for consensus closes tomorrow
... the final one this week is ISSUE-27 rel-ownership

ISSUE-27?

<trackbot> ISSUE-27 -- @rel value ownership, registry consideration -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/27

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-27: @rel value ownership, registry consideration - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: straw poll for objections closes April 1
... included in the agenda but already covered, we appreciate the work being done to consolidate proposals on 152
... issue-144 conforming-u

ISSUE-144?

<trackbot> ISSUE-144 -- <u> should be conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/144

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-144: should be conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: straw poll for objections closes April 4
... ISSUE-155 table border

ISSUE-155?

<trackbot> ISSUE-155 -- make <table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"> conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/155

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-155: make conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: poll also closes April 4
... questions or comments?

new calls this week

SR: we have two
... first a call for consensus to publish 8 heartbeat drafts

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0576.html

<pimpbot> Title: CfC: Publish eight heartbeat drafts as WDs from Paul Cotton on 2011-03-24 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0591.html

<pimpbot> Title: CfC: Publish a first public WD from Paul Cotton on 2011-03-24 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

SR: next is a call for consensus to publish an FPWD of the accessibility platform implementation guide
... so far have only heard positive responses
... next up is new surveys this week

new surveys this week

SR: ISSUE-31/ISSUE-80 missing-alt and title-alternative
... we have three polls covering those two issues

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-31-80-validation-objection-poll/

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-31-80-requirements-objection-poll/

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-31-81-verbiage-objection-poll/

<pimpbot> bugmail: [Bug 10671] consider removing support for PUT and DELETE as form methods <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0867.html> 4** [Bug 9178] add definition of "conforming document" <11http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-bugzilla/2011Mar/0866.html>

SR: complicated issue with 8 proposals to untangle
... we did get questions about one of the polls, and Maciej has made some clarifications in response
... next up is ISSUE-144 conforming-u

ISSUE-144?

<trackbot> ISSUE-144 -- <u> should be conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/144

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-144-objection-poll/

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-144: should be conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: survey closes April 4th
... next is ISSUE-147 playback-rate-undefined

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-147-objection-poll/

ISSUE-147?

<trackbot> ISSUE-147 -- playbackrate: undefined behavior when the user agent can't play back at the requested rate -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/147

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-147: playbackrate: undefined behavior when the user agent cant play back at the requested rate - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: that closes April 5th
... finally, ISSUE-155 table-border

<rubys> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/issue-155-objection-poll/

ISSUE-155?

<trackbot> ISSUE-155 -- make <table border="1" cellpadding="10" cellspacing="0"> conforming -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/155

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-155: make conforming - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

SR: also closes April 4th
... by Tuesday, all surveys will be complete, with the exception of 152

decisions this week

SR: there were three
... the first is rdfa-prefixes

ISSUE-120?

<trackbot> ISSUE-120 -- Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/120

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-120: Use of prefixes is too complicated for a Web technology - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0689.html

<pimpbot> Title: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-120 rdfa-prefixes from Sam Ruby on 2011-03-29 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

<rubys> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/formal-objection-status.html#ISSUE-120

<pimpbot> Title: Formal Objection Status (at dev.w3.org)

SR: there has been a formal objection
... next is ISSUE-122 shallott-example

ISSUE-122?

<trackbot> ISSUE-122 -- alt text and description for Lady of Shalott example -- open

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/122

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-122: alt text and description for Lady of Shalott example - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0691.html

<pimpbot> Title: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-122 shalott-example from Sam Ruby on 2011-03-29 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

SR: finally poster-alt, ISSUE-142

ISSUE-142?

<trackbot> ISSUE-142 -- No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) -- closed

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/tracker/issues/142

<rubys> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0690.html

<pimpbot> Title: ISSUE-142: No alternative text description for video key frame (poster) - HTML Weekly Tracker (at www.w3.org)

<pimpbot> Title: Working Group Decision on 142 poster-alt from Sam Ruby on 2011-03-29 (public-html@w3.org from March 2011) (at lists.w3.org)

<rubys> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/formal-objection-status.html#ISSUE-142

<pimpbot> Title: Formal Objection Status (at dev.w3.org)

MJS: 142 has also seen a formal objection

SR: that is correct
... any questions or comments?

task force reports

SR: first up is testing TF

KK: we met last week

<krisk> Notes http://www.w3.org/2011/03/22-htmlt-minutes.html

KK: on March 22nd

<pimpbot> Title: HTML Weekly Teleconference -- 22 Mar 2011 (at www.w3.org)

KK: we meet again this Tuesday April 5th
... we approved 103 audio/video tests
... there are about 20 that need bug fixes based on feedback
... there was a discussion about html5lib tests
... they will be moved over by James Graham
... discussion about a bunch of attribute tests that will be approved
... that's it

SR: thank you - questions/comments?
... next up, accessibility task force

JS: work continues focused on ISSUE-152, we think we are making real good progress
... real-time conversation really helps
... face-to-face was really helpful
... we had two parallel meetings, media, and canvas/longdesc/aria
... there is a canvas change proposal survey closing
... we talked about that some in the meeting again today
... in terms of longdesc we are watching Laura's proposal and the discussion
... we expect to articulate TF consensus soon
... this should address criticism from the first round

SR: you are allowed to make changes to the proposal
... questions/comments for Janina?
... hearing none, moving on

other business

SR: does anyone have other topics to bring up?
... hearing none

scribe for next meeting?

<adrianba> i will scribe

PC: it will be my turn to chair

SR: Adrian volunteers
... Thank you, Adrian!

adjournment

SR: thanks everybody!

RRSAgent: draft minutes

Summary of Action Items

[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/03/31 16:32:06 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/some new bug/about 20 that need bug/
No ScribeNick specified.  Guessing ScribeNick: mjs
Inferring Scribes: mjs

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: Apple Cynthia_Shelly JS J_Voracek Judy KK Lachy MJS Michael_Cooper Microsoft Mike MikeSmith P16 PC Radhika_Roy SR Sam Title aaaa aabb aacc adrianba arronei_ bugmail changes davidb dpenkler eliot hober html-wg janina joined kennyluck krisk mfoladar oedipus ormaaj paulc paulc_ pimpbot planet rubys tinkster trackbot
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Regrets: Gregory_Rosmaita

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 31 Mar 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/03/31-html-wg-minutes.html
People with action items: 

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]