HTML Accessibility Task Force Teleconference

24 Mar 2011


See also: IRC log


Eric_Carlson, Frank_Olivier, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Judy, MichaelC, MikeSmith
Laura_Carlson, Paul_Cotton, Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Marco


<trackbot> Date: 24 March 2011

hmm, I think I need to switch my network connection

<scribe> scribe: MikeSmith

issue 152 (multitrack media)

JF: Silvia had some discussion with Hixie… possibly leading to some level of agreement

… a guess is that they might be able to get closer to agreement in another week or three

frankolivier: we'd like to see pare down the number of change proposals

… we want ASAP some means for doing text-track enumeration and selection

… and for in-band tracks

… we don't have particularly strong positions on the syntax

… but we do want the functionality

eric_carlson: the proposal from Sylvia and I is similar in many ways to Hixie's proposal

… but there is a fundamental difference about whether the timelines are slaved together or not

… but I think we are close to having agreement on that

JF: question is, When? any sense of timing on that?

MikeSmith: frankolivier, are the differences among your change proposal and the ones for Hixie and Eric/Sylvia resolvable reasonably soon?

eric_carlson: we missed the fact that we didn't have a mechanism for selecting among in-band tracks

… but that definitely needs to be fixed

frankolivier: that is what my proposal adds
... we have a lot of places where the caption format itself is important to discuss

… in particular, the styling of captions

… and some of that needs to be done in the HTML5 spec itself, not in the caption-format spec

… we have an open bug for this now; the spec either needs to say that the captions are styleable from the page, or they are not

MikeSmith: janina, what do you think the consequences would be if we don't get a decision on this prior to LC?

janina: I don't think this is as critical [as some of the other media issues] to get resolved in time for LC; it's understood already that it's a relatively new issue [that came up fairly late in the process]

JF: and we still do not have agreement about the caption format
... we are also wondering whether the WebVTT work will be brought into the W3C

frankolivier: we would like to see [at least one caption format] that everybody is willing to implement as a baseline format -- but not to the exclusion of other formats

JF: I got the impression that [getting work started asap on a W3C WG for the caption format] is not a high priority

judy: no, this is actively being looked at

issue 30 (longdesc)

judy: my understanding is that there was some progress made in discussion about longdesc

… not sure if there was additional discussion later in the day at the f2f on Saturday or on Sunday at all

<JF> http://www.html5accessibility.com/tests/img-longdesc.html#long

judy: it would be helpful to have a clear TF proposal [endorsed by the TF]

… I think having a clear TF proposal for restoring longdesc would be helpful

… of course, it would be useful to also include details about possible future directions, because it seems clear that longdesc is not where we all want to end up

judy: is there any progress that could be made by summarizing where we are now on this?
... we had hoped that there would be a way to address this very early in the LC period, but that seems less likely now

… for one thing, we do not have a proposal from the TF

… only from individuals

JF: Hixie was somewhat dismissive of the proposed text that Steve Faulkner wrote up

judy: I am still hoping a call for alternative proposals could be issued sooner rather than later
... I would be interested in seeing John and Steve continue to work on [refining the proposal that's been submitted]

… and it would be valuable to have a statement coming from the TF on this

JF: yeah, maybe we need to do that

judy: we need a stable proposal from the TF that reflects the discussion that took place during the f2f
... do you think we can have that by the beginning of the week

JF: the more we extend what's in the proposal now, the more risk there is of pushback

… we are already getting feedback that it should going in UAAG

JF: so as I understand this conversation, we need a position statement from the TF, and prior to that, we need to [get feedback from the TF]

<scribe> ACTION: John to send a draft statement on longdesc to the TF by early next week, in anticipation of polling the TF to measure agreement on the position statement in that draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/24-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-120 - Send a draft statement on longdesc to the TF by early next week, in anticipation of polling the TF to measure agreement on the position statement in that draft [on John Foliot - due 2011-03-31].

<JF> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Sep/0074.html

judy: we are still interested in inviting discussion on one or two possibilities for getting this in still before LC

JF: I'm just seeking clarification about dates


<Stevef> getting conference resricted on the phone

<Stevef> restricted

<Stevef> i know why now, I am 1 hour late - damned time zone chnages!

Stevef: yeah, I should have gotten the agenda out earlier and made it clear it was an hour earlier


<Stevef> no problem, joined the html call instead

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: John to send a draft statement on longdesc to the TF by early next week, in anticipation of polling the TF to measure agreement on the position statement in that draft [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/24-html-a11y-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2011/03/24 16:27:25 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/there is active work going on/this is actively being looked at/
Succeeded: s/Hixie as/Hixie was/
Succeeded: s/UAG/UAAG/
Found Scribe: MikeSmith
Inferring ScribeNick: MikeSmith
Default Present: +1.650.468.aaaa, Michael_Cooper, Janina_Sajka, John_Foliot, Mike_Smith, Frank_Olivier, +1.510.367.aabb, Eric_Carlson, Judy
Present: Eric_Carlson Frank_Olivier Janina_Sajka John_Foliot Judy MichaelC MikeSmith
Regrets: Laura_Carlson Paul_Cotton Rich_Schwerdtfeger Marco
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-a11y/2011Mar/0184.html
Found Date: 24 Mar 2011
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2011/03/24-html-a11y-minutes.html
People with action items: john

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]