WebFonts Working Group Teleconference

21 Jul 2010


See also: IRC log




<trackbot> Date: 21 July 2010

zakimm microsoft holds sergei

<scribe> scribe: chrisl

Review of the Editor's draft of the WOFF specification

Vlad: any comments?

ChrisL: couple of broken links, sent mail

tal: some formatting issues with code vs tt

jfkthame: fixing them now

vlad: any objections to publication as fpwd?


Resolved: publish woff spec as a fpwd

<scribe> ACTION: chris publish woff spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-10 - Publish woff spec [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-07-28].

Planning our first F2F meeting at Typecon 2010

Vlad: want to set up agenda, ensure we are all on same page for next steps and work items

ChrisL: marking up testable assertions in the spec to check off the test suite

vlad: good idea

<cslye> +1

Vlad: conformance document is a deliverable, not sure if its a separate doc or part of woff spec

ChrisL: we can do it either way

Vlad: in my opinion, for test suite to be succesful we need some fonts to serve. although its for any sfnt format, for test purposes at least one format that must be supported is needed
... dont need to make a decision now but discuss at f2f

christopher: providing fonts, or specifying a mandatory format?

Vlad: both
... need so me fonts converted to woff and converted back; some text to have woff applied

cslye: so open licensed fonts?

Vlad: need not be a commercial quality font for testing. but we need a mandatory format, for conformance and for testing

ChrisL: obvious answer is Opentype

Vlad: obvious but never mentioned

ChrisL: so a separate spec could say you must support css3, woff, opentype in woff, etc

cslye: so a format is required for conformance testing?

Vlad: and for interoperability.
... woff on its own, format agnostic, does not give interop

sergeym: would expect this to be a spec requirement. should not require opentype support

Vlad: we can discuss more at f2f.
... ok lets think about and bring informed opinions to the f2f

<sergeym> I actually meant this should be test suite prerequisite, not part of the WOFF spec.

Vlad: for f2f meeting we need to establish a work plan, most important part is identifying people responsible to do items of work
... so please review the set of deliverables, look for areas you can contribute
... we have a woff calidator that can be contributed by tal

tal: requires some work, but pretty far along

ChrisL: happy to take lead on test suite

Vlad: good to agree an agenda for f2f

ChrisL: good to start the list of implementations on the wiki so its ready to discuss at f2f

Vlad; need to review spec and identify testable assertions

Vlad: please add your own implementations

cslye: also implementations from outside the group

Vlad: can publicise on www-font

public outreach strategy

Vlad: good to get public attention along with fpwd to get good review
... may also get contributors outside the wg
... publicity is good

<scribe> ACTION: chris to ask about a press release [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-11 - Ask about a press release [on Chris Lilley - due 2010-07-28].

Vlad: aim is to get lots of comments
... assume we will use opportunities at typecon. tal, you were willing to make a presentation?
... john, you mentioned also w3c development process, is that useful?

john: a brief overview
... what 'web standard' means

ChrisL: panel is which day?

cslye: last i heard from tammye was friday

vlad: not everyone can stay til sunday

<John> John said that, not me. (Last I heard...")

ChrisL: css wg meeting starts on monday so i will leave saturday evening

cslye: presentation materials for typecon - hard copy?

<cslye> That was me. :)

vlad: good to have slides etc and to view at f2f beforehand
... once conference program is known we will have a better idea

cslye: up in air, but expecting a substantial block of time for webfonts panel, may include some background presentation time
... followed by open discussion.

John: who is moderating the panel?
... good to get the participants to discuss beforehand, well worth doing, meet on Thursday

cslye: agree

Vlad: been asked if public can be present at f2f meeting. not sure if they can join
... we operate in public so it should be ok

ChrisL: observers or contributors?

Vlad: observers

ChrisL: that is fine if we agree to it

cslye: early, so many folks not around.
... not heard anything more about using the space


Vlad: probable regrets next week, travelling

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: chris publish woff spec [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: chris to ask about a press release [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html#action02]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.135 (CVS log)
$Date: 2010/07/21 20:42:56 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.135  of Date: 2009/03/02 03:52:20  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/voth/both/
Succeeded: s/cslye/John/
Succeeded: s/John/cslye/
Succeeded: s/fol/foll/
Succeeded: s/wo/who/
Found Scribe: chrisl
Inferring ScribeNick: ChrisL

WARNING: No "Present: ... " found!
Possibly Present: ChrisL John Microsoft P3 aaaa aabb aacc aadd aaee aaff christopher cslye jfkthame joined sergei sergeym tal trackbot vlad webfonts
You can indicate people for the Present list like this:
        <dbooth> Present: dbooth jonathan mary
        <dbooth> Present+ amy

Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webfonts-wg/2010Jul/0002.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 21 Jul 2010
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2010/07/21-webfonts-minutes.html
People with action items: chris

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]